36 hours and then it SUCKS

PhuckNut

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
Holy Crap!

TT Recast 1.6 ran for a while, did pretty well, then, all of sudden, it says its recording, but there was no audio from it. I got to record some silence. EVerything else worked fine, but god damn it, who wants to baby sit this crap.

I am going back to 3.2 - and when you realize your customers do not want to be spied on because of your insane paranoia (more than 100K sold vs. possible 1000 attacks on your product) then maybe I can use this product...

There isn't even anything in the recording log that references ANYTHING that happened as well. I shut down TT "nicely" with the "X" and was asked if I wanted to shut down in the middle of the recording session - and - well - there is no recording log saved??????

I cannot baby sit this software.

First, I need to report that it takes a very long time for the "Waiting For Channel Load" screen to complete. This started in 1.5B30.

Second, I lost a recording because someone else accidentally unplugged me...they didn't know, but I was not happy...afterall, the computer and radio were working FINE.

Third, for NO REASON, this evening I found that 1.6 was reporting a loss of internet connection...well, I EASILY called up Internet Explorer and IT found the internet without any trouble. I do not know if my ISP had a glitch, or what, but it was not recovering, or it was not able to discover the internet connection's return, or something...but again I was not happy. It required a shut-down and re-start to get IT happy again. As everyone else has complained...this should NOT happen. Simple as that, this internet requirement is very disruptive to the reliability of your product, to say the least. When it works, it is great...but there are many reasons beyond the user's control which does cause it to fail...and when it fails, it does not recover without user intervention...otherwise known as "babysitting".

Please...the software is already keyed to the receiver...can we somehow get this software less dependent on the internet? I know, you already have relaxed that...well I am still suffering under this requirement...as are others. It is not readily apparent at first review, how this always-on connection requirement results in an un-reliable application, but after a few discoveries of missed recordings due to this need...you will.

If they remove their internet connection requirement they won't be able to auction off your listening habits to the highest bidder :) (I don't know if they collect that information or not, but when i asked earlier, no one answered)

cmaier said:
If they remove their internet connection requirement they won't be able to auction off your listening habits to the highest bidder :) (I don't know if they collect that information or not, but when i asked earlier, no one answered)

Well - considering when packet capturing data on my computer, when nothing is running but TTRecast - the packet increases while changing channels and then every 28 minutes check to make sure its a valid/registered app. I would suspect that speculation to get this whole thread deleted :)

I dunno what they are doing, but 100K plus copies sold vs. 500-1000 attacks against it - makes it a bit insane to force an internet connection.....

Never do get an answer as to what it is that the software is sending when it phones home on channel changes, do we?

cmaier said:
Never do get an answer as to what it is that the software is sending when it phones home on channel changes, do we?

No you do not. If & when I get into the lab at work - the only thing I ever catch onto are the little weird things. like moving the phone-home connection from 16minutes to 28 minutes. 28 minutes is odd, but if you think about it, its probably got the best probability of sending you back enough enough information as to what it WAS and then IS recording hourly.

thats pure speculation tho - I really don't have any idea why it needs to phone so much. As we pointed out, their 100K plus sold, against the 1000 attacks doesn't show me they are protecting themselves as much as they are inconveniencing us.

Who knows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts