3TB EHD

kpip99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
I've heard people on here say they have a 3TB external hard drive that works fine on their hopper. Any one have a brand and model number that works that is 3TB ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just remember, if you buy the same one as them, and it doesnt work, you would be SOL as it is still unsupported. I believe dare2be is our resident EHD guy, if not mistaken.

I have an EHD (640GB), which I only recently (within the last year) started using on my account. So I wouldn't consider myself the resident EHD guy. :)

I have several, including hardware RAID. I do not use more than 1 TB because that's a lot to lose.

As the sweet spot moves further from 1 TB, I will make the future EHDs all hardware RAID. Yep, it adds the cost of a second disk and the roughly hundred dollar RAID enclosure.

I wish I had the time to go back and finish the project I started, to read and catalog the contents of my EHDs. Should be fairly straightforward under Linux. And I think I've got a Linux Pascal for getting fancy.

I've heard people on here say they have a 3TB external hard drive that works fine on their hopper. Any one have a brand and model number that works that is 3TB ?

I have been using a 3 TB Seagate drive from Costco for several years with no problems.

I have an EHD (640GB), which I only recently (within the last year) started using on my account. So I wouldn't consider myself the resident EHD guy. :)
Lol. Sorry man, I thought it was you that always talked about the 3 TB EHD. I cannot remember who it was now. Oh well, maybe they will see this and respond later on.

Yea, he's got a 3TB hard drive that works fine as long as you don't go over Dish's maximum number of items per hard disk, which rumor has it is 1000.

I don't like the odds and stay with 2TB or less which is what is officially supported. 2TB holds a LOT of shows and movies. And with a Hopper you can have 2 EHD's.:)

Reactions: ChadT41
You can have as many EHDs as you want. But only two can be active at a time.

I bought two WD Blue 1TB drives last year, which I still have yet to use. I too, believe in the 1TB max wisdom.

I think I'll stick with 2TB ones. That should be plenty

I use 500gb with over 150 movies I have yet to watch and it is not full yet. I delete them after watching, unless it might be worth watching again, which is very few. Half of the movies on the EHD, I get bored and delete half way through.

Yea, he's got a 3TB hard drive that works fine as long as you don't go over Dish's maximum number of items per hard disk, which rumor has it is 1000.

I don't like the odds and stay with 2TB or less which is what is officially supported. 2TB holds a LOT of shows and movies. And with a Hopper you can have 2 EHD's.:)

You can have more than one active EHD?? I thought Dish only allowed one to be used?

You can have more than one active EHD?? I thought Dish only allowed one to be used?

On a Hopper you can have up to 2 fully supported EHD's. You can have 2 more but can only transfer to and from them. You can't see #3 and #4 on the DVR list or play from them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts