4K Joey Installation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
Does anyone have a clue or thoughts on if the 4K Joey installation will be different than a regular Joey? Different hardware other than a Solo or Dual Nodes, etc.

Does anyone have a clue or thoughts on if the 4K Joey installation will be different than a regular Joey? Different hardware other than a Solo or Dual Nodes, etc.
As noted in one of several other UHD speculation threads, the UHD Joey install will likely be pretty much the same as any other Joey install.

The only difference will be that the Hopper will be installed on a secondary TV.

Reactions: charlesrshell
As noted in one of several other UHD speculation threads, the UHD Joey install will likely be pretty much the same as any other Joey install.

The only difference will be that the Hopper will be installed on a secondary TV.
Thanks for the info. I am one of them die hards that don't want the 4K Joey at the primary TV. I am hoping the next super Hopper coming out someday will be 4K and will install it at my primary TV. I plan on installing 4K Joey on a secondary TV out in the garage where my original Joey is now. Started looking for good deals on 40 inch 4K TVs. Can someone take a peak at this model and let me know what you think? Thanks for the help. http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN40JU6400FXZA

Thanks for the info. I am one of them die hards that don't want the 4K Joey at the primary TV. I am hoping the next super Hopper coming out someday will be 4K and will install it at my primary TV. I plan on installing 4K Joey on a secondary TV out in the garage where my original Joey is now. Started looking for good deals on 40 inch 4K TVs. Can someone take a peak at this model and let me know what you think? Thanks for the help. http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN40JU6400FXZA

$449 for a 40" 4K Sammy? Can't go wrong there. As I stated in another thread, I'm not ready for a new TV yet, but at these prices, it's a no brainer here. If I had to get a new one, it would be 4K.

I'm with you about having a Hopper at my main TV location. They just work better then a Joey.

$449 for a 40" 4K Sammy? Can't go wrong there. As I stated in another thread, I'm not ready for a new TV yet, but at these prices, it's a no brainer here. If I had to get a new one, it would be 4K.

I'm with you about having a Hopper at my main TV location. They just work better then a Joey.
Thanks for your help. I am in need for another TV so might as well be 4K.

The other problem with having Hopper at secondary location, is that is commonly a bedroom, and DVRs make noise.

I am just waiting for the 4K Hopper next year, then I will upgrade both my Hoppers. I really don't have any desire for a 4K TV at this point, but as long as the 4K Hoppers aren't much more per month, why not upgrade.

The other problem with having Hopper at secondary location, is that is commonly a bedroom, and DVRs make noise.

I am just waiting for the 4K Hopper next year, then I will upgrade both my Hoppers. I really don't have any desire for a 4K TV at this point, but as long as the 4K Hoppers aren't much more per month, why not upgrade.
A 4K hopper is speculative. So far, to the best of my knowledge, nothing has been said it will have 4K capabilities. There was speculation that it has 16 tuners, but that was proven to be near impossible with current technology for a reasonable price. Until they announce it, it is all just speculation. I am just really wanting it to have the option to have more control throughout the home from the Hopper.

A 4K hopper is speculative. So far, to the best of my knowledge, nothing has been said it will have 4K capabilities. There was speculation that it has 16 tuners, but that was proven to be near impossible with current technology for a reasonable price. Until they announce it, it is all just speculation. I am just really wanting it to have the option to have more control throughout the home from the Hopper.
It may be "speculative" but it is a no brainer that the next big Hopper will be 4K. At 2015 Team summit in May, I was told by someone fairly high up at Dish that there is a radical new "Hopper" that wasn't being talked about at that time, but would be at CES or the next Team Summit.

It may be "speculative" but it is a no brainer that the next big Hopper will be 4K. At 2015 Team summit in May, I was told by someone fairly high up at Dish that there is a radical new "Hopper" that wasn't being talked about at that time, but would be at CES or the next Team Summit.
Unless it came from Mr. Khemka, that it would be UHD capable was probably just someone's pipe dream; possibly yours if you equated "radically new" with UHD.

The idea that UHD linear TV will be a thing for at least a couple years is quite a reach.

Unless it came from Mr. Khemka, that it would be UHD capable was probably just someone's pipe dream; possibly yours if you equated "radically new" with UHD.

The idea that UHD linear TV will be a thing for at least a couple years is quite a reach.
"radically new" was a paraphrase, I can't remember the exact words he used. We will see, it just seems logical that if there is some new big Hopper change/upgrade being released after the 4K joey, that it would be 4K as well.

I would verify that the 6400 model is Evolution upgrade ready. There has to be a reason for the $150 price difference to the 6500 model.

I would verify that the 6400 model is Evolution upgrade ready. There has to be a reason for the $150 price difference to the 6500 model.
In the specs for the Samsung 6400 model it says Evolution Ready (Future Proof Only). Do I need to get an Evolution box? Not understanding what Evolution ready means.

I would verify that the 6400 model is Evolution upgrade ready.
There would appear to be at least two Evolution possibilities. The one for the 6400 is called "future-proof only" and that carries all the way through the 8500.

The One Connect Mini is not the same beastie as the One Connect.

Given that the Samsung spare parts policy is 2-7 years, I'm not sure how big a deal the kit might be. I'm also dubious about the relative value on a <50" TV that will likely be selling for less come upgrade time than the SEK sells for now.

Of course there is also the question of how valuable a small UHD TV might be in comparison to a similarly sized HDTV when viewed from more than a couple feet away.

There would appear to be at least two Evolution possibilities. The one for the 6400 is called "future-proof only" and that carries all the way through the 8500.

The One Connect Mini is not the same beastie as the One Connect.

Given that the Samsung spare parts policy is 2-7 years, I'm not sure how big a deal the kit might be. I'm also dubious about the relative value on a <50" TV that will likely be selling for less come upgrade time than the SEK sells for now.

Of course there is also the question of how valuable a small UHD TV might be in comparison to a similarly sized HDTV when viewed from more than a couple feet away.
I wish I could find in the Samsung site some kind of knowledge base that explains what all the TV spec terms mean. The reason I want to stick to a 40 inch 4K is because this TV will be out in my garage where I am going to put the 4K Joey. Anything larger will be an overkill from where I sit to view TV.

I wish I could find in the Samsung site some kind of knowledge base that explains what all the TV spec terms mean.
They do love to throw the marketing terms around. I've not been able to find anything that really gets down and dirty about what the levels mean and I expect that is the way Samsung wants it. Sales engineering is cheaper than electrical engineering.

They do love to throw the marketing terms around. I've not been able to find anything that really gets down and dirty about what the levels mean and I expect that is the way Samsung wants it. Sales engineering is cheaper than electrical engineering.
Yep, I hear ya. I went ahead and ordered the 4K 40" Samsung UN40JU6400. Found the lowest price for $447. The reviews were about in the middle. It is just for my garage so it should be good enough.

I wish I could find in the Samsung site some kind of knowledge base that explains what all the TV spec terms mean. The reason I want to stick to a 40 inch 4K is because this TV will be out in my garage where I am going to put the 4K Joey. Anything larger will be an overkill from where I sit to view TV.

This may help,this is from Vizio's website:

http://www.vizio.com/picture-quality :)

Here's one from Samsung:

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN40JU6700FXZA

More information from Samsung here:

http://www.samsung.com/us/experience/uhd-tv/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)