5 tuner limit?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nuttz565

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
colorado
So I had something interesting happen tonight and I'm trying to get some info on it. I have a Hopper, Super Joey and a wireless Joey. So I have 5 tuners(or 4 during PTAT). So tonight during PTAT I had 3 recordings going on as well a PC taking up a tuner. As you can see in the picture all tuners were being used. Now the funny thing is I turned on my wireless Joey and I was able to watch live tv flipping through channels? How was I able to watch live tv if all the tuners we're be used? I'm a bit stumped?
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1405909683.655551.jpg

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

You would be able to flip through the PTAT channels on the wireless Joey without interrupting anything, but you would not be able to get to satellite channel. If you were able to go through the satellite channels, I would think that you might have kicked the remote user off, but someone would have said something if that happened.

Because you were only using 4 tuners for your recordings and ptat, with the super joey system you gave total of five tuners. Not sure how the wireless joey works never installed one. Good question

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Hopper with Super Joey - PTAT off - 5 simultaneous recordings possible (5 tuners).
Hopper with Super Joey - PTAT on - 8 simultaneous recordings possible (4 standard satellite tuners plus one tuner recording the PTAT stream of 4 network channels).
Add an OTA tuner and each count goes up by 1.

Hopper with Super Joey - PTAT off - 5 simultaneous recordings possible (5 tuners).
Hopper with Super Joey - PTAT on - 8 simultaneous recordings possible (4 standard satellite tuners plus one tuner recording the PTAT stream of 4 network channels).
Add an OTA tuner and each count goes up by 1.
With PTAT turned off you can still record the big four networks simultaneous anytime if you wish on one tuner.

I had something odd regarding this also. I have PTAT turned off. I was recording three prime time shows however it showed as taking two tuners. All shows were within prime time time frame.

I had something odd regarding this also. I have PTAT turned off. I was recording three prime time shows however it showed as taking two tuners. All shows were within prime time time frame.
Were all 3 primetime shows on the big 4 networks? If one of them was on the CW or a subchannel station, then that would take a different tuner.

As earlier post: did the OP take over the Slinged tuner? Maybe nobody noticed. Also, we presume he was flipping through channels OTHER than those recording or being Slinged, right? Because, yes, the OP might have been flipping through the channels the Hopper system was already tuned to. Sometimes that happens to me. I mean I am usually sent to the TV Activity screen and forced to choose, but a few times it took me right to one of the channels I was recording and when I pressed channel up or down, it took me to the other channels I was recording. That seemed unusual to me.

Were all 3 primetime shows on the big 4 networks? If one of them was on the CW or a subchannel station, then that would take a different tuner.
I wish that DISH would include all the main locals like CW and PBS along with the main 4 networks in PTAT feature. I'm wondering if this is a doable. I mean they can put up to 8 hd channels in mpeg 4 on one transponder, I don't see that they couldn't do the same with the other channels ,unless they are not on the same transponder from the get go.

I wish that DISH would include all the main locals like CW and PBS along with the main 4 networks in PTAT feature. I'm wondering if this is a doable.
If I'm not mistaken, it's certainly technically possible. As it is now, with PTAT, Dish has simply chosen to limit this to the Big 4 networks (and tying into AutoHop).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I suspect that "4" is limited by the chipset. At one time people were claiming that the entire transponder was being recorded. But IIRC we can (now, subsequent to user partition expansion) see how much space is being consumed by PTAT, and it cannot be the entire transponder.

I suspect that "4" is limited by the chipset. At one time people were claiming that the entire transponder was being recorded. But IIRC we can (now, subsequent to user partition expansion) see how much space is being consumed by PTAT, and it cannot be the entire transponder.
Too bad. I would really enhance PTAT if you could get all your main locals in one folder.

Reactions: TheKrell
I suspect that "4" is limited by the chipset. At one time people were claiming that the entire transponder was being recorded.
I doubt the chipset is a limiting factor, although hard drive speed may be. Also, I think it was more like "the entire transponder can be recorded", but again, Dish just restricted it to the Big 4.

Remember the talk about re-grouping like channels to be on the same transponder so the same PTAT-type behavior could be used with all or a bunch of sports channels or a bunch of kids channels (Disney, Nick, ABC Family, etc) and so on ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)