722K OTA module installation question

25 mile radius may be a bit of an over simplification for the Terk 44, as there are a variety of factors affecting one's local signals, and that antenna really isn't that sensitive or directional.

However, the OP may have luck with it, as he/she is only 17 miles from the tower for most of his/her locals, and only 7 miles from the other.

Whichever antennas he/she tries, he/she should try and buy locally, or from Amazon, so that he/she can return it if it doesn't work, and try another.

If the he/she can mount something on the roof, or in the attic, a small, directional VHF/UHF outdoor antenna like the AntennaCraft AC-9 or Winegard HD-7000R would probably kick ass. But, the Terk TV-44 may be worth a shot, if he'she has access to the dish, and is savvy enough to do the hook-up.

Otherwise, one of the two small "fishbone" type antennas I mentioned above, just thrown up in the attic and pointed approximately towards the main tower, should do the job nicely and invisibly.

Last edited:
I have to say that the Terk 44 does look like it would make the set up easier. The Dish has not been installed, but I certainly think that I could ask the installer to let me place the terk onto the Dish.

Does the Terk 44 allow you to use just one cable from the dish to the receiver? That would be great if it does. According to this site (Terk TV-44 Outdoor Amplified Clip-On TV Antenna for Dual LNB Dishes) that appears to be the case.

Its also relatively cheap. Any thoughts?

I didn't realize the dish wasn't installed yet. In that case, you can probably pay the installer a little extra to add the OTA antenna.

Winegard makes an antenna mount that attaches to the back of the dish called the DS-1111. Get one of those and the AntennaCraft or Winegard antenna I mentioned above, and you'll be golden.

You can combine the OTA and satellite feeds into one cable using a "diplexer". The installer should have them in his kit. You'll need another one at the receiver end to separate them again.

I have the terk 44 on my 1000.4 sat dish and before I had it on my 1000.2 sat dish and the dish 500 as well. It is very easy to install.

You take the cable that is running from the lnb on your dish install. Plug it into the OUT port on port 1. Take the pre cut black cable that comes with the terk 44 and connect it to the lnb and then to the IN port on Port 1 , you can do the same thing on port 2 and port 3 if you have 3 more receivers on a dish 1000.2 or 1000.4 sat dish install. IF the black coax isn't long enough you can use barrel connectors to put two together and make it longer. Also can use pre cut coaxes from radio shack .

THen from inside of the house put a diplexor provided on your ONE coax leading into the house and split one side to satellite and one for ota antenna. You use the white coaxes provided to connect them to the receiver and ota tuner. When you use a dual tuner with a dish seperator to split one coax into two for dual tuners, you put it first on the sat side after the diplexor before you connect another coax to run the sat in ports on your receiver. You can use more white coaxes provided by terk to accomplish this. You can also use a splitter to take the one coax for tv side to split into multiple coaxes for ota use on the tv, the sat receiver ,etc.

I have done this on two sat receivers in my house; dual tuner 722k, a 211k as well as the DISH dtv pal ota dvr. I use it just for ota. I don't use the sat side of the diplexor , just the ota.

I paid around $65.00 for the terk 44 from TArget. You can do a search at Target and they will ship it to you , or you can go by and see if they have one to buy. It has worked great for me and my parents about 5 - 8 miles away from me.

Problem with mounting an OTA antenna to the dish or the dish's mast is it may not be in a good location for OTA reception. For example, when I had a SuperDish, it was pointed SSW. Just so happens my TV towers are almost due west or slightly WSW. So that's all good..... Problem: The dish was pole-mounted in the ground in mybackyard and my 26' high house was between it and the TV towers. It was no problem for satellite reception, but would have been for OTA.

Problem with mounting an OTA antenna to the dish or the dish's mast is it may not be in a good location for OTA reception. For example, when I had a SuperDish, it was pointed SSW. Just so happens my TV towers are almost due west or slightly WSW. So that's all good..... Problem: The dish was pole-mounted in the ground in mybackyard and my 26' high house was between it and the TV towers. It was no problem for satellite reception, but would have been for OTA.

But couldn't you just move the antenna around the circumference of the dish (with the Terk 44 for instance?) until you actually approach the right direction?

Or use a omnidirectional thing like this:
http://www.summitsource.com/omni-di...or-single-lnb-systems-part-ezd100-p-4677.html

or attached to Winegard DS-1111 Easy Install Antenna Offset Mount Kit for Back of Satellite Dish with http://www.summitsource.com/channel...w-zone-part-3000a-with-coax-cable-p-5611.html or

http://www.summitsource.com/winegar...-zone-part-ms1000-with-coax-cable-p-4568.html or

http://www.summitsource.com/terk-hd...e-zone-part-hdtvs-with-coax-cable-p-8368.html

Last edited:
I have the terk 44 on my 1000.4 sat dish and before I had it on my 1000.2 sat dish and the dish 500 as well. It is very easy to install.

You take the cable that is running from the lnb on your dish install. Plug it into the OUT port on port 1. Take the pre cut black cable that comes with the terk 44 and connect it to the lnb and then to the IN port on Port 1 , you can do the same thing on port 2 and port 3 if you have 3 more receivers on a dish 1000.2 or 1000.4 sat dish install. IF the black coax isn't long enough you can use barrel connectors to put two together and make it longer. Also can use pre cut coaxes from radio shack .

THen from inside of the house put a diplexor provided on your ONE coax leading into the house and split one side to satellite and one for ota antenna. You use the white coaxes provided to connect them to the receiver and ota tuner. When you use a dual tuner with a dish seperator to split one coax into two for dual tuners, you put it first on the sat side after the diplexor before you connect another coax to run the sat in ports on your receiver. You can use more white coaxes provided by terk to accomplish this. You can also use a splitter to take the one coax for tv side to split into multiple coaxes for ota use on the tv, the sat receiver ,etc.

I have done this on two sat receivers in my house; dual tuner 722k, a 211k as well as the DISH dtv pal ota dvr. I use it just for ota. I don't use the sat side of the diplexor , just the ota.

I paid around $65.00 for the terk 44 from TArget. You can do a search at Target and they will ship it to you , or you can go by and see if they have one to buy. It has worked great for me and my parents about 5 - 8 miles away from me.

So you just use OTA and no dish? (not that this really matters I guess)

This is similar to the Terk-- but cheaper

Omni Directional Antenna EZ Dish TV Satellite Amplified Outdoor Add-On VHF / UHF Digital Off-Air Local HDTV Signal Multi-Directional Aerial with Built-In Diplexer for Single LNB Systems, Part # EZD-100: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furni

I didn't realize the dish wasn't installed yet. In that case, you can probably pay the installer a little extra to add the OTA antenna.

Winegard makes an antenna mount that attaches to the back of the dish called the DS-1111. Get one of those and the AntennaCraft or Winegard antenna I mentioned above, and you'll be golden.

You can combine the OTA and satellite feeds into one cable using a "diplexer". The installer should have them in his kit. You'll need another one at the receiver end to separate them again.

And this would work with a Dishnetwork Dish?

What kind of performance would i get with that and this thing (it works for the "yellow" area that antennaweb suggested )

Channel Master 3000A SMARTenna Amplified Omni-Directional TV Antenna Suburban Off-Air Signal UFH / VHF Outdoor Local HDTV Aerial, YELLOW ZONE, Part # 3000-A | With Coax Cable | Open Box Item: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furniture, TV An

The problem with using an amplified antenna is that you won't be able to use a diplexer to combine the OTA signal with the Sat signal into a single cable into the house. Amplified antennas use power supplies that send the power up the cable to the antenna. Diplexers prvent that power from getting up to the antenna.

If you do use one of those plastic-encased omni antennas, like the one in your link, make sure you choose an un-amplified one. However, I doubt if any of those types would work well unless they were amplified.

Are you that dead set against a "fishbone" antenna? The AC-9 and HD7000R are both quite small for that style. No amplification needed, and will no doubt provide excellent signal strength for all of your area stations. They are also both pretty cheap, especially the AC-9.

Since I am doing this for my mom, she really doesnt' like the fishbone type.
She seems to be ok with the omni, square shooters, etc.

Since both the antenna and the dish would be installed at the same time I guess having to run a separate line wouldn't be the end of the world-- but I dont know if the dish installer would go for that.

I want to make it as seemless as possible so i dont have to stand on my head to get to the dish after its installed.

So the un-amplified omni's aren't worth much?

Thank you for the suggestion. Ive narrowed it down to these.

I'm going to get a DS-1111 to use on the dish-- will all of these listed below attach to the DS-1111?

Would you suggest that I go with the Channel Master CM 3010 Suburban STEALTHtenna (CM3010) | CM3010 [Channel Master]

or perhaps the Winegard SS-1000 Square Shooter HDTV Antenna 16" High Band VHF / UHF Digital Analog HD TV SquareShooter Outdoor Off-Air Local Channel Signal Aerial, Low Profile Outdoor Aerial, RED ZONE, Part # SS-1000 | With Coax Cable: Oak Entertainment Centers and

or

Winegard Direct.com - Winegard MS2002 Metrostar VHF/UHF Amplified Omnidirectional TV Antenna (MS-2002) | Winegard [MS-2002] MS-2002 MS 2002 saucer antenna ms2002 rv antenna recreational vehicle marine tv antenna ms2000 ms2000a ms2000-a (is this thing amplified? I can't seem to find a yes or no?)

Winegard Direct.com - Winegard GS1100 Sensar III VHF/UHF Antenna System (GS-1100) | Winegard [GS-1100] GS1100 GS1100 1100

and finally the

CM-4220MHD (Channel Master)

I apologize that I've posted so many different models.
I'm just trying to figure out if they a) not amplified as you recommended, b) work in high VHF in addition to UHF, etc.; and (c) will it easily attach to the DS-1111?

Thank you for the suggestion. Ive narrowed it down to these.

I'm going to get a DS-1111 to use on the dish-- will all of these listed below attach to the DS-1111?

Would you suggest that I go with the Channel Master CM 3010 Suburban STEALTHtenna (CM3010) | CM3010 [Channel Master]

or perhaps the Winegard SS-1000 Square Shooter HDTV Antenna 16" High Band VHF / UHF Digital Analog HD TV SquareShooter Outdoor Off-Air Local Channel Signal Aerial, Low Profile Outdoor Aerial, RED ZONE, Part # SS-1000 | With Coax Cable: Oak Entertainment Centers and

or

Winegard Direct.com - Winegard MS2002 Metrostar VHF/UHF Amplified Omnidirectional TV Antenna (MS-2002) | Winegard [MS-2002] MS-2002 MS 2002 saucer antenna ms2002 rv antenna recreational vehicle marine tv antenna ms2000 ms2000a ms2000-a (is this thing amplified? I can't seem to find a yes or no?)

Winegard Direct.com - Winegard GS1100 Sensar III VHF/UHF Antenna System (GS-1100) | Winegard [GS-1100] GS1100 GS1100 1100

and finally the

CM-4220MHD (Channel Master)

I apologize that I've posted so many different models.
I'm just trying to figure out if they (a) not amplified as you recommended, (b) work in high VHF in addition to UHF, etc.; (c) will it easily attach to the DS-1111; (d) The TV Towers are East for my location and the Satellites Dish will be positioned facing the south would any of these antennas have a problem facing east when attached to the DishNetwork with the DS-1111?

Get the ugliest one .... odds are it will work far better than the others. I'm referring to the CM-4220, of course.

General opinion of a lot of people regarding antennas:

If it looks "cool" or looks like an airplane or UFO, it will work poorly.

a) They should say if they're amplified or not in their specs. The CM-4220 won't be.
b) One of those is UHF/VHF. One works with "high VHF". Read their specs or search the 'net for reviews.
c) Most of them, or all of them, should mount to that mast you're looking at.
d) Depending on where the installer mounts your dish, it may not work by being attached to the dish's mast. Antennas don't need "line of sight" like a satellite dish does, but there can't be large obstructions in the way either.

Thank you all for the help and all.

Im debating on the Channel Master CM 3010 Suburban STEALTHtenna (CM3010) | CM3010 or the CM4220HD.

One is a little more expensive.

Do both of these work with the DS-1111 made by Wineguard?

I'll double check the stats before ordering, but I at least want to make sure they will both mount.

Thanks again

NO I use BOTH ota and the sat dish Together. I use the third port just for my ota dual tuner dvr from echostar called the dtv pal plus dvr. This receiver is in my bedroom . The other two ports are used for my sat receivers in my living room(722k) and son's room( 211k).

Wow thank you!
Do i need to get anything extra to get it to mount to the DS-1111?

I also don't need to purchase extra cable ,as the dish installer should be able to use a diplexer. You guys really have been a great help.

Should I ask the installer to install this thing as high as he can? or is that really necessary?

Looking at this page, Channel Master 4220HD 2-Bay HDTV/UHF Antenna | 4220HD [Channel Master], click the "Zoom Image" link. See the brass-colored bracket on the "back" ? That's the clamp or it appears to be. Certainly looks big enough to fit a normal mast.

Make sure you have a diplexer as the installer might not have one. Also, remember, you can ask the installer to put this up for you but some won't do it (and you can't hold that against them).

Higher is always better but may not be necessary given how close you are to the towers.