722K + OTA Module

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
j_met, I don't know anybody who has done such a dance as you. Hope you get it done some year.;)

Ok I've changed my mind again...lol

What I am going to do now is get a 4X4X16 post, dig a 2 foot hole, concrete the post in the ground then get some 1 5/8" pipe and mount it to the 4X4......

That way I can mount the antenna any where I want........lol Take that multi-path!

I know the frost goes deeper here, but I'd go at least four feet deep on that post.

Frost? In East Texas? No deeper than a foot, if any at all. He's half way between tornado and hurricane country.

Seriously, though, for a timber that heavy, you do probably want a lot of it in the ground. I'm sticking with the steel mast idea, and leaning towards the telescoping idea (half way between those weather hazards, which means some of both).

I was talking to my dad earlier at dinner and he said a 4X4X16 would not be a stable mount for the antenna, even if I mounted two feet in the ground with cement....so I guess I have changed back to my original idea of getting a 20 ft 1 5/8" chain link fence post and using that as a mount.

I would use a stand off to stabilize the top section by attaching it to my eave.

The difference between an antenna mast and a fence post is simple; weight. Also, you cannot collapse a fence post when foul weather comes your way. In thirty minutes, you can almost entirely mitigate the insurance liability of a 60-pound piece of pipe, and restore it in under an hour. It takes days if not weeks for your home owner's insurance company to replace your roof.

I am buying a 21 foot 1 5/8" pole from the guy who put my chain-link fence in and will mount all that when it stops raining...

On a side note, the phillips interior antenna I had came with a in line 18 dB "amp" that needed to be pluggin in to an electrical outlet.....do you think I need something like for my DB8 antenna I bought?

If you were getting signal strength across the board in the low-70s, getting a high-quality preamp from Channel Master or Winegard (about $50, not that RatShack crap at the same price) may be a good idea. This is not your case, though, and an amplifier will only serve to make your multipath and noise problems worse.

Ok I understand now.....

Thank you for all your help Dren! And everyone else who has posted advice/suggestions!

I sincerely appreciate it!

Mission Complete

I went ahead and mounted everything up today, installed a new grounding rod and grounding block. I am now picking my 22 channels compared to 11 before. I figured out why it was showing "Digital Programming" for one of the local channels, even though I subscribe to locals. All local channels (NBC, ABC, CBS, & FOX) have program info in the guide now.

Thanks everyone for their help!

cimg4559.jpg

Last edited:
If you have any history of high winds, I'd put at least a three guy wire set up on that mast or it will get bent in two just about your eave line - voice of experience.

I figured out why it was showing "Digital Programming" for one of the local channels, even though I subscribe to locals
OK, I'll bite. Why was it showing Digital Programming, and how did you fix it?

Where E. TX. ?

no high winds here....I should be ok

Where are you in E. TX. The trees ake me think of the "Big Thicket areas. Your high winds will only happen when thunder storms come through the area. 1 good thunder boomer to come thru could bend that shaft over like you can bent a straw and maybe take part of the eave w/ it. Better safe than sorry and guys are cheap.

OK, I'll bite. Why was it showing Digital Programming, and how did you fix it?
There are two CBS stations. One in Tyler and the other in Shreveport. Before I mounted my antenna where it is now, I was only picking up the station in Tyler. After mounting atenna I picked up the one in Shreveport, which is farther away, and the guide info showed up.

whatchel1 said:
Where are you in E. TX?

Between Gilmer and Gladewater

Before I mounted my antenna where it is now, I was only picking up the station in Tyler. After mounting atenna I picked up the one in Shreveport, which is farther away, and the guide info showed up.
Are you saying that your guide info for Tyler's CBS now shows up, and this has something to do with receiving Shreveport's CBS station? This makes no sense to me whatsoever! The guide info we receive or don't receive all comes from satellite, not OTA. So the signal strength of any particular OTA station should IMHO not affect our guide.

No, I am sorry I should have clarified.....the Tyler station still says "Digital Programming" but, the Shreveport channel (which I didn't receive before) has the info....I just wonder why DISH uses the Shreveport CBS station for guide information, which is farther away than the Tyler CBS station

I get better reception with the Tyler CBS station than the Shreveport CBS station

Signal strength does make a difference if your DISH won't pick it up when you scan for local channels.

Distance means nada

No, I am sorry I should have clarified.....the Tyler station still says "Digital Programming" but, the Shreveport channel (which I didn't receive before) has the info....I just wonder why DISH uses the Shreveport CBS station for guide information, which is farther away than the Tyler CBS station

I get better reception with the Tyler CBS station than the Shreveport CBS station

Signal strength does make a difference if your DISH won't pick it up when you scan for local channels.

The distance has nothing to do with it. E* carries Shreveport LIL not Tyler.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts