9/29/2010 2:01PM - Uplink Activity Report - 43 Changes

Well rats (on difficulty of fixing the uplink report software).

The other guys have a lot of activity posted here: Uplink Activity for the Week of 10-4-10 - DBSTalk.Com

Looks like the NBA and NHL packs went into free preview, and AMC is being tested for HI and AK (which I think was already reported).

Seeing their report makes me miss this one. Do I really care that an "x8c descriptor" was added?

Interested in updating to a more current language? Maybe Java so it would run on linux? I would be willing to help. I am very profficient in Java & C#, I would rate myself 7/10 in C/C++ if that is a language you would like to pursue.

Ever thought of turning the software into a SourceForge project?

I'll see if I can better explain things for you guys... I originally wrote the uplink software a few years back that involved a pull straight from TSReader. Everything worked great. But then Dish started the deal of reusing channel numbers that caused the data tables from TSReader to choke. So JohnH gave me his parser that took the data stream and spit it out to a format I could use. So the process was my app called TSReader, then called JohnH's code to process it to a format that was readable, then my app would load the data and process it even more to what I needed for the report. Then it would compare the data to start the process of posting it to the forums. It's a crazy little process that involves multiple pieces of programming. My code relied on John's for the data, and JohnH's app relied on mine to process it into a format you guys could read.

My app is written in Delphi and his was written in GWBASIC ;) And if you are curious... my app contains about 5000+ lines of code but that's not where the issue lies at this point.

I'm working on it though... it's just tough to go back in time to GWBASIC and reverse engineer someone elses code.

Interested in updating to a more current language? Maybe Java so it would run on linux? I would be willing to help. I am very profficient in Java & C#, I would rate myself 7/10 in C/C++ if that is a language you would like to pursue.

Ever thought of turning the software into a SourceForge project?

No need to reinvent the wheel... the app that crunches all the data, updates TheList, notifications, and thread posting works just fine. It's just one piece that converts the DVB tables into text for the app to crunch it. About 20% of the entire process, but it's either all or nothing.

I'll get the parser fixed, then within time I'll remove the need to have the parser at all.

I'll get the parser fixed, then within time I'll remove the need to have the parser at all.
If your experience is anything like mine, you might just skip step 1 and go directly to step 2. I often find other folks' code so poorly documented and loaded with twisted logic (not to mention arcane bugs) that I can write it over from scratch much faster than I can figure out what the other guy had intended. My biggest coup was replacement of several hundred lines of C with one line of IDL. ;) It was an image processing program that crunched weather satellite data looking for volcanic eruptions.

It might actually be something simple...

If the system broke down right after the 9/22 report, check to be sure there isn't an array configured for less than 7600 channels.

At 6 that night the channel count went over 7600 and currently sits at 7682.