922 is going to take a dump and die soon?

Mike

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 28, 2003
I have a 922, it was bought brand new almost a year ago. No major problems until now.

I was out of town most of the week and when I got back, all 8 recordings of The Daily Show & Colbert Report were corrupted, with error code "04". I threw them all away.

The past hour or so I have been trying to watch the local CBS affiliate on a buffer (KHOU HD from the spot beam). There were portions where the video would just freeze, but no error would occur about a signal loss - plus it's been a totally clear day today, no reason for signal loss anyway.

When the video would freeze you could not use the 30 second skip ahead. You have to press fast forward, you could press it up to 300x speed and it would take 30 seconds to "get over" only 10 seconds of missing show.

Then I was watching something and made the mistake of pressing the 10 second back to watch it again, and the whole thing kind of froze up and I had to go press the reset.

Right now it is doing the reset... and it just now came up. Seemed like a longer reset than normal.

So, is it going to die?

Nope but I am going to do that right now, because after watching TBS for a few minutes, I tried to swap back to KHOU and it died again.

If the reset does not clear that up it can be an issue with the receiver that we would need to look at replacing. The 04 error code only has a reset listed for troubleshooting (unplugging is the best one to do). I did look on the known issue list and there no known issue for that error on the 922.

It rebooted twice, and acquired the satellite signal again. KHOU is on commercials, so I paused it and swapped over to TBS. We'll see if it works when I swap back.

It messed up again. I was on KHOU, it was playing fine but it's commercials. I pause and swap (the 922 is set up for solo mode) to TBS, and watch for several minutes.

TBS goes to ads, so I pause and swap back to KHOU. I press "play" but nothing happens. I press fast forward, the time is not updating or anything, the bar at the bottom is not moving. I can press fast forward 4 times, and it will be at "300x" speed, but not moving.

Now it is frozen up again. I have figured out what causes it to freeze up - changing the channel up or down. It will freeze immediately after trying to do that.

Except - when I was writing this post - now it kind of unfroze. It's showing a broken guide with the top black part still showing the frozen video. But it's still not really working and it looks like I have to reset it again.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/asjqme6jd6r3f2b/2014-11-23 22.53.09.jpg?dl=0

The reboot has failed. It is frozen up at the "starting up" screen. I will try pulling the plug. :(

If the reset does not clear that up it can be an issue with the receiver that we would need to look at replacing. The 04 error code only has a reset listed for troubleshooting (unplugging is the best one to do). I did look on the known issue list and there no known issue for that error on the 922.
Shouldn't the 922 be its own KPI.

OK, it's pretty messed up right now. It looks like it has progressed to the "taking a dump/fixing to die" stage.

I had to reboot it a few times, then it booted up to this slightly different looking interface. Everything was brighter and more blue and some icons were missing, like it was some older revision of the software! The date said 8/01 and the time was midnight. Then it kind of "blipped" and the interface changed back to the regular one, and the date and time were correct. Crazy!

It's booted right now, but there is no video. If you try to press guide, it said "no data available", and DVR says "no events to display".

I can't get to point dish. The icon just clicks but it won't go to that screen.

Trying to see if the timers are still there or not, if I can save them.

Edit: No. That made it freeze hard. Rebooting it again. Just going to try to get to point dish.

Ladies and gentlemen, you have witnessed in real time the death of a 922.

If DIRT is reading this please PM me to arrange for a replacement. The receiver was bought new, less than a year ago, it should be within manufacturer warranty.

Last update for tonight. I got it to load point dish, but all the results were messed up. Really weird results on transponders, and transponders I should not even be getting (spot beams for other markets) would come in randomly. The whole thing seemed scrambled - but another screen, verified that I had reception of all 3 locations, but when I tried to run a check switch, it just sort of froze up again.

I looked at the actual satellite dish (mounted outside of a window) and it looks fine. It's not loose or anything and doesn't seem to have moved. There was some bad weather last night but I wasn't home. No wind at all, just some rain and lightning. Visual inspection doesn't seem to show any signs lightning may have hit the dish. The dish is grounded and the receiver is on a surge protector.

I give up for tonight and I'm setting up the TiVo for temporary use. The 922 will have to be replaced.

GET a Hopper and save yourself the trouble with the 922. You will like it so much more and I have had the 722k/922 /hopper and now the hopper with sling.

GET a Hopper and save yourself the trouble with the 922. You will like it so much more and I have had the 722k/922 /hopper and now the hopper with sling.

I also recommend the upgrade to the Hopper just as long as he's willing to pay the increase in his monthly bill. His bill is going to go up a minimum of $9 a month.

I also recommend the upgrade to the Hopper just as long as he's willing to pay the increase in his monthly bill. His bill is going to go up a minimum of $9 a month.
Wouldn't a Hopper alone only be $2.00 more? (he's never said if he feeds two tvs or not).

Wouldn't a Hopper alone only be $2.00 more? (he's never said if he feeds two tvs or not).

That's true but I was just going with the most likely scenario. Since he has a dual tuner it's most likely that he has at least two TVs connected to it.

Oh yes it would be $2.00 more for the dvr fee. But he would get so much more for his money with the primetime anytime feature and autoskip.

I have the 922 on solo mode most of the time since I live alone, but I have 3 TVs and one is in a guest room. So it's nice to be able to flip the receiver to duo mode when someone is staying over. It would not be worth paying for a Joey just for that occasional use.

There's no modulated output on the Hopper at all so even my own bedroom TV would have to be hooked up with "The Long Ass RCA Cable Made Out Of Several RCA Cables Joined Together" which is what I had to do with the TiVo (or spend more money on a separate modulator).

I'm one of those rare customers where a 722 or a 922 actually makes the most sense and saves on a lot of fees.

Reactions: KazooGuy
Looks like you have a boat anchor. Do not get another one.
If you have 4 tv's go with old reliable. The 722k.
Or the newer Hopper which I believe can handle more than 3 tv's,

The receiver now works again, inexplicably.

Also, I don't think they will exchange a 922 for a 722. The 922 is still under manufacturers warranty.

Even if it wasn't, I bought a Square Trade warranty at the same time as the 922 and it covers the 2nd and 3rd years. i don't usually buy those warranties but I knew the potential for problems with the 922.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)