A few questions before calling Voom.

WaitingForMineToWork

Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
I'm excited about Voom... thinking about giving it a try. I've never had satellite before so I've got some questions.

1. I currently live in an Apartment Complex and would like to use the existing cable lines if possible. I would also like to keep my cable internet, which is a priority for me since dsl is not available. Is it possible to run ota and satellite to three rooms, plus cable internet to one of them all through the existing cable lines?
-If not, the only rule about installing satellite here is that holes can only be drilled inside my patio and apartment. Basically, no holes on the outside wall of the building.

2. I live in Albuquerque, NM and am not sure if I will have line of sight to the satellite. It seems like it's gonna be close. I am not worried so much about ota. I picked up all but one my locals with a cheap indoor antenna and they're all in the same direction on the top of a mountain. Is there a way to test my line of sight though before cancelling cable to make sure Voom will work for me? I found the trajectory file here, but its a windows executable.

3. Is Voom as good as it sounds? Comcast here is awful. Only locals are ABC and Fox in hd and it seems only one at a time works. Even OTA is a step up for me. :D

Thanks,
Nathan

Nathan, I don't think you can run all that stuff through "existing cable lines", but I am sure somebody else will post here about it. Also, Voom CSR will tell you, and so will the installer. Don't cancel your cable until you get Voom installed and know that it is working for you. Order Voom first. If they come out and cannot set you up (like if you don't have line-of-sight to the satellite), you won't be charged, and you will still have your cable.

I have seen people put satellite dishes mounted on tripods on their apartment patio. But then you have to have line-of-sight from your patio to the satellite. Lots to check out. The installer will tell you and maybe other people will post here.

YES, Voom is as good as it sounds. :yes Try and find out if you can get it!

(Also, I used to live in Albuquerque about 25 years ago!)

Good luck! :up

Makes sense. So basically just go ahead and set up the appointment. If it works, great. If not I can cancel the whole deal and I'm not out anything.

I've seen people here with tripods and some people with their dishes mounted right to the patio. It's a nice apartment complex and fairly expensive, but when it comes to rules about putting holes in the walls they don't seem to care too much. I guess the paint is textured and they have to repaint when a person leaves anyway so patching is easy enough. My worry is with running the cables to all three rooms. I'm not sure how that works. I would run them across the middle of the floor, but I don't think the other half would stand for that.

Don't know what to tell you about the cables. But when you schedule your install, make sure you choose a day when you aren't working. Sometimes the installers don't show up, and what a waste if you took the day off. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)