Adding 118

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sam_gordon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Lexington, ky
We have a setup at work that looks at 119, 110 (through a single dish) and 77 (through a wing dish).

However, I need to add 118 into this mix. If I move the 119/110 dish to pickup 118, aside from programming, what do I lose? I assume guide data. If we have a power outage, do the receivers have to look at 119/110 to originally lock on?

What's the downside (other than loss of programming on 119/110 which is fine)?

You can't use the LNB or smaller dish to get 118 as it's a feeble fss satellite. I see a 500+ in your future.

Yep, krell is right. I'd think you could just use a 1000+ dish to get the 110, 118.7, 119, and 129, and that would give you everything you need.
129 is not a replacement for 77,but that leads to the question what are you getting off 77? 72.7 is the EA high definition dish.

129 is not a replacement for 77,but that leads to the question what are you getting off 77? 72.7 is the EA high definition dish.
Our HD locals are on 77. That WAS the only thing we were receiving. Now we need to receive content from 118. The boss is willing to sacrifice HD locals to get the 118 content. I get to figure out how to do it. :p

Use the dpp 500+ lnb and keep the 77 wing dish... Run that to the IN port on the 500+ lnb
I thought TheKrell said that wouldn't work and you'd agree with him.

By the way, the two dishes are Dish 500. The 119/110 dish has a DP Plus LNB, the 77 dish has a DP Pro. The Pro LNB is connected to the DP Plus.

No, replace the dish getting the 110/119 with a dish 500+, you need to have the dish pro plus lnb, not the dish pro, then you can run the 77 wing into that lnb.. Then you'll have the 77, 110, 118.7, and 119

Reactions: TheKrell
Thanks guys.

The boss wants me to try to turn one of the existing dishes to 118. I want to replace with what you suggest but I'm outranked. :p

Obviously I mark the adjustments so when I'm ready to beat my head against a wall in not finding 118, I can at least "normal up". Any suggestions on whether I move the 119/110 dish or the 77 dish.

The 118 uses a special LNB so you just "cant move the dish"...the LNB has to be changed over

All of Dish's fleet (EXCEPT for 118) uses the frequencies between 12.2-12.75
118.7 uses KU Band which is 11.7-12.2

You cannot receive 118.7 with your current DPP Twin or DP Twin lnb. 118.7 is a lower-powered sat that has to be picked up using a DPP500+ lnb. You can point your current dishes in the general direction all day. Without the DPP500+ lnb to convert the weaker 118.7 FSS signal, you'll never get it. Many have already stated as such. You'll need to convince your boss to purchase a Dish 500+ and a Dish Pro Plus 500+ lnb from a local retailer or from someone on Craigslist. It mounts on the same mast as your current Dish 500. Once aimed, the new lnb has an input that you can connect the signal from your existing 77w lnb. Run a new check switch on the rcvr and you'll see 110, 118.7, 119, and 77.

Attachments

• DPP 500 Plus LNB.pdf
    563.4 KB · Views: 600
The 118 uses a special LNB so you just "cant move the dish"...the LNB has to be changed over

All of Dish's fleet (EXCEPT for 118) uses the frequencies between 12.2-12.75
118.7 uses KU Band which is 11.7-12.2
Perfect! Except my boss doesn't believe me when I tell him. :oldmad So guess who gets to try to move a dish that won't work. :facepalm

Reactions: ChadT41
Lol. Show him the facts about the frequency. That should open his mind up some. I do not imagine the dish being to expensive

Right; the dish and LNB aren't that expensive. If you can't get a 500+ w/DPP LNB, the earlier DP LNB would work as well. But the latter would need a DP34 or DPP33 switch as well, which the DPP LNB does not need since it has an integrated switch. I only point this out because of the opportunity for cost savings with the older equipment.

You generally speaking need the bigger dish of a 500+ as well as the LNB, because 118 is just that weak.

I'd love to. The problem is he won't accept posts on a message board as "facts". He thinks I'm just trying to get out of doing this.
Sounds like your boss isn't very smart..... Just tell him you refuse to do what isn't possible.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)