Adding additional Dish for Sat at 61.5

hdrick103

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 29, 2003
It feels like we am living in Florida lately, so much rain and cloudy sky's! My satellite dish has been fading out a lot due to the rain and overcast sky's. I already have a dish pointed at 110,119 and 129. Would adding a side dish pointing at 61.5 improve my reception during heavy clouds and overcast sky's? I know during a real downpour I would still depend on my outside antenna. I have a line of site to 61.5, can that sat connection hook to my existing setup with 110,119 and 129. What would be the cost. Thanks!

The problem is that our receivers don't automatically switch antennas to find the strongest signal. (They will switch to the SD equivalent before giving up completely.) Also, not much aside from locals are on 61.5. Did you mean 72.7? Also, it would be helpful if you told us your DMA so we can help you explore options, such as a switch to EA. I'm on EA and suffered a heavy downpour last night, but only suffered a brief pixelation.

Nashville is dual arc, so you can pick either one. I prefer EA myself due to the higher elevation angle. (I'm in northern VA.)

Thanks. I have a better line of sight for 61.5 fewer trees. I have two receivers 922 downstairs and a 612 upstairs. If I have the additional dish added at 61.5 will the service man be able to hook all four satellite feeds to my two receivers?

You should not be losing a signal with overcast skies, so that would point to you not having the signal level you should be getting. I don't know if that means the dish needs to be aimed, or if you have poor line of site. Not everyone agrees with me (while others do) but there is no doubt I lose the signal less often and for shorter periods from the Western Arc than I do from the Eastern Arc. That's both in Fl and in Ct. In Tampa they actually changed the official ARC a few years back from the EA to the WA for that reason.

That said, a single dish optimized for a single satellite may very well keep the signal better whatever the Arc. In fact the EA is now available for most markets with a DISH meant for only two satellites, 61.5 and 72 which no doubt gets better signals than the old one that included 77.

If I have the additional dish added at 61.5 will the service man be able to hook all four satellite feeds to my two receivers?

Yes. There is an input on your 1000.2 LNB assembly that puts 4 sats on any/all of the 3 outputs. But I highly recommend just switching over to Eastern Arc with your single dish and be done with it. Dish might even do that for free.

so it would be overall beneficial to keep my "western arc" setup and just add a second dish at 61.5 E. and that would strengthen my overall signal? Will my receiver accommodate another dish at 61.5? When I contact the service man I will also let him "tweak" and tune my existing setup. thanks for the info.

so it would be overall beneficial to keep my "western arc" setup and just add a second dish at 61.5 E. and that would strengthen my overall signal? Will my receiver accommodate another dish at 61.5? When I contact the service man I will also let him "tweak" and tune my existing setup. thanks for the info.
The Krells suggestion is that you forget about Western Arc and just have one dish aimed at 61.5 (basic programming) and 72.7 (HD Programming) 61.5 won't replace 129 for HD broadcasts.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts