Aiming lnb on offset dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

scarecrovv

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
newfoundland
Got a bit of fine tuning to do. Am I correct in saying that the lnb has to point at the deepest part of an offset dish?

Am I correct in saying that the lnb has to point at the deepest part of an offset dish?
It is also very important from where you point your LNB! If LNB is located in antenna's focus than it should be pointed such a way that it's direction divides angle "lowest antenna's point" -"Focus"- "Upper antenna's point" exactly on half. What antenna are you speaking about?

It's an older type starchoice dish. (not the oval type). The arms and lnb holder are still in place but the lnb i have is loose in the holder so i'm not exactly sure but i figure it should point at deepest part of dish?

not the oval type
You mean, it is prime-focus? Than, of course, LNB should be pointed to the very middle of the dish whish is also deepest point of it. You could show some pictures of your dish and it's feedarms and LNB holder.

You mean, it is prime-focus? Than, of course, LNB should be pointed to the very middle of the dish whish is also deepest point of it. You could show some pictures of your dish and it's feedarms and LNB holder.

No, Star Choice (now Shaw Direct) is a service provider here in Canada. Their original dishes were standard offset dishes "round" (really oval). Once they started broadcasting on two satellites they became elliptical dishes (which scarecrovv means by saying oval).

images

like this one but the original lnb packed it in and my other one doesn't fit the holder properly.
elliptical is a big word for me lol:drunk

That is usual offset dish. Where is the problem then? Measure the dish and use program like "Parabola Calculator 2.0" to calculate position of focal point. When you know position of focal point, make feedarms and LNB holder in such a way that LNB's phace center is located in antenna's focal point.

Than I do not understand something: why should you buy new LNB as it will be pointed at exactly same point on antenna surface as old one?! I think you should do something with LNB-holder or feedarms, not LNB.

Than I do not understand something: why should you buy new LNB as it will be pointed at exactly same point on antenna surface as old one?! I think you should do something with LNB-holder or feedarms, not LNB.
The original lnb is shot.....I have a different lnb......The original lnb holder and original lnb are an odd size....my other lnb does not fit the original lnb holder properly. I am going to order another lnb like the original and then it will fit the original holder.

I have the same dish. I used a lnb holder that came with a multi lnb kit. Easy to find this type on ebayView attachment 105275View attachment 105276

Not the same dish. Scarecrow has the one metre. Looks like yours is the 30 inch model. Feed arm is completely different. Notice the side support struts in his photo.

However, the original clamp and lnb from the 24 and 30 inch starchoice dishes will fit the one metre. Just have to drill two small holes for the support arms.

Catamount

I'm curious as to how the "lnbf doesn't fit the holder'? What make model lnbf is being replaced? What make model is replacing it? Pictures??
If the neck of the new is small, clamp too large, should be able to cut some plastic pipe to shim it.

DISHES
'Normal' offset - a little bit taller than it's width. Winegard 2076, Channel master 1.0 meter.
Elliptical' offset - wider than it's height. 83e Channel Master
Prime Focus - width and height are equal. BUD's.

One clamp size was for the "pop can" LNBF. I think the clamp size was 50mm. Another clamp size was for the 23mm mounts. They also manufactured a shim kit for the 50mm to clamp 40 and 23mm LNBFs, or you could use a split PVC pipe for clamping the smaller 40mm LNBF.

Reactions: scarecrovv
One clamp size was for the "pop can" LNBF. I think the clamp size was 50mm. Another clamp size was for the 23mm mounts. They also manufactured a shim kit for the 50mm to clamp 40 and 23mm LNBFs, or you could use a split PVC pipe for clamping the smaller 40mm LNBF.
Exactly! It has the 50mm with an adapter for 23mm but my lnb is 40mm. I will try the pvc pipe. That sounds like a good fix.

For the 1m dish.
From the very top of the dish to the focal point (slightly inside the scalar cover) measures 40.17.
From the very bottom of the dish to the focal point (slightly inside the scalar cover) measures 23.07
From the centre of the pan (draw an X through the four mounting bolts to find the centre) to the focal point (slightly inside the scalar cover) measures 26.22

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts