[New Mexico] Albuquerque Observations

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
I have been away for some time in Albuquerque and found the local radio scene there interesting. The FM dial is packed with a signal on almost every alternate frequency (radiolocator brings up 44 FM entries). Many of the new stations are translators. There are FM translators of AM stations in the surrounding small towns, relays of FM from other cities, even low power transmitters for the full power station originating from the same mountain top. I didn't even take my HD radio to check out those signals.
In regards to formats, they also seem to be in a constant state of flux. Rock has gone Country, Country gone Sports, etc, etc. I do not know much about the business end of radio but that would seem to indicate that the market is oversaturated and many stations are not making enough money.
We only have two FM translators here in El Paso. One is for the AM religion station that has to go very low power at night and the other for a FM HD signal that wants to pass as a regular station. FM translators are very useful in some circumstances but I feel they are being over utilized in Albuquerque.

Minneapolis just as bad. Now you have translators that cover the eastern part of the metro and translators that are on same frequency but cover west metro
its asinine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts