Altennative Magnetic Sensor Mod

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pixl

Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Traverse City, Michigan
For you guys working on modified sensors, you might experiment with this. I had read that there is a magnetic disc found in many IDE hard discs that have multiple magnetic fields embedded with in. Here is a magnetic disc I pulled from an old HD.

I sprinkled iron filings on a paper.

When I placed the paper over the HD disc, 10 embeded magnetic fields were revealed.

These might work with a magnetic reed switch.

Last edited:
Is there any one type/year/brand of HD that has these discs like only old? Say is it 9"; sized; or around smaller HD's too Spinning drives that is? Most that need mo.ds have a small space requirement, that is birdview h/h would need it may work in modified space; like 4.5 inches.

This came out of a Western Digital 3.5" drive. I took apart a smaller 2.5" Fuji drive from a laptop, but it did not have the magnet disk.

I made a couple of these back a few years ago for the Von Weis movers I have on my two 10ft dishes. The magnets I used are some of those high power ones I got from an electronics supply and I mounted them in alternating polarity. They work fine but I didn't see any specific advantage to the increased count they produce over the 8 magnet one that was originally in them. To improve accuracy I really need to move the actuator to dish mounting point out further from the dish pivot point. Have a bracket made to do that, just been too hot to mess with it now.

10magnet.jpg

I have a VonWeis that had an optical sensor and converted it to a magnet wheel and reed switch. I used a 6 mag wheel and the double counting switch technique to give me 60 counts per inch on a 5 pitch ball screw.
VonWeisMod 006.JPG VonWeisMod 016.JPG

Reactions: Pixl
I have a VonWeis that had an optical sensor and converted it to a magnet wheel and reed switch.

Magic, or anyone else with the optical sensor. I have a Von Weis that the sensor quit working after a lightning storm. The optics were still working, but there is a driver transistor that shorted out. I pulled a NPN transistor from an old circuit board and got it working again. The stock optical disc has six slots and seems to work just fine with a V-box.
I am interested to see that someone might experiment with a HD disc for this service.

I am interested to see that someone might experiment with a HD disc for this service.
While I don't immediately see a use for the disc, I would like to know one thing about it, if you could check. Are all 10 fields the same polarization or do they alternate poles. Alternating poles might trip the right reed switch. If they are all the same, it won't work a reed switch because they are too close together from what I see in the iron filings.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts