AMC-8 on a microbud

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rsmithwi

On Vacation
Original poster
May 14, 2014
Land of 10,000 taxes!
Anyone try a 1.2meter mini-bud for AMC-8 @ 139º c-band?. I am in the upper midwest and trying for the MPEG-2 DVB-S radio feeds. Kind of limited on the size of the dish and 1.2-1.8 meter maybe my only hope. I plan to put this dish on a motor for other birds but would like to see is there is any chance of success AMC-8
c-band?.

Thanks for any advice you could send me my way....You guys are very knowledgeable and have saved my butt on numerous occasions when setting up dishes...

haven't tried it but I don't see why it would not work for the easy-peasy DVB-S carriers since nearby satellite AMC-7 is empty in the right places, eliminating a lot of nearby satellite interference potential trying to receive c-band on an undersized dish.

when I had my 6 footer in Minneapolis I could get AMC8 on bleedover when I was peaked on AMC7

also audio only stations need less signal (at least that has been what I've seen)

If you are in the Coast Gaurd; you know you address is not in Alaska AMC-8; but the signal is in the NW and to Alaska really does mean oldest in spot beams.

Look at the signals however, have they changed the satellite? In Oregon, the signal levels for C Band do fall off quickly as you go east. The AMC 8 beam is shown on all the lists as for Seattle to Barrow.

A spot beam in generally held C Band reflectors sizes (4-12 feet); even the best signals cannot overcome spot-beam typed satellites. But it can overcome DBS typed Ku band when the right feedhorn is tuned to a larger sized dish. IN Alaska, the signal was made for 6-8 foot because they are alone the only way to get AMC 8 signals; but if they have made another satellite for Alaska (like directv did); maybe they put it into Ku band Standard DBS 139x148. They have used larger dishes there forever because it rains hard and often where the people live; across a vast expanse! The C Band signal therefore; should work with a 4-6 foot dish there like it does in the lower 48; and a 4 footer then on amc8 has no need for beamwidth regulatory size (unless you want amc7 which requires 12-16 foot monsters in Alaska); as thy have no signals broadcast their at any 2 degree spacing!

Reactions: rgk
Thanks for the info. Can't wait to get the dish and try it out. The only issue for me would be a LOS one due to the low look angle, but with the fall sun transients coming up I should be able to get confirmation of location. As for the post by richyrich, I am having a hard time understanding your comments but thanks for responding.

If you are in the Coast Gaurd; you know you address is not in Alaska AMC-8; but the signal is in the NW and to Alaska really does mean oldest in spot beams.

Look at the signals however, have they changed the satellite? In Oregon, the signal levels for C Band do fall off quickly as you go east. The AMC 8 beam is shown on all the lists as for Seattle to Barrow.
what in the f**k are you talking about? Seriously can you speak simple English?
The horizontal side is spotbeamed but the vertical is CONUS....aka whole US.

Why the hell would I post "when I had my 6 footer in Minneapolis I could get AMC8 on bleedover when I was peaked on AMC7" if I couldnt get it?
I listened to at the time it was at the time Jones Radio "classic country" format on there

what in the fu*k are you talking about? Seriously can you speak simple English?

Why the hell would I post "when I had my 6 footer in Minneapolis I could get AMC8 on bleedover when I was peaked on AMC7" if I couldnt get it?
I listened to at the time it was at the time Jones Radio "classic country" format on there

I M sorry; you did receive amc 8 North America of course you did. The radio programs are conus and available in North America. And with a 6 foot dish anywhere; on the sidebeam (feedhorn) when aimed at amc7; they are available when peaked on amc7 just like you said.

I M too old to talk about any old days satellites; when C Band satellite is the news today it must work how people say (you told me);

says so on the list!

My old memory has been removed in ways known to be the news. i sorry! I just read, that the mux their is Conus also (on lyng); is that correct too? Maybe i should check it more often than I do; however, i do need my amc7; it is conus too; and do a tune their more often than most any other. My local antenna only receives abc, independent, and sometimes nbc + pbs but the towers are not visible and receive a very low signal right at the min. @140 miles ON 30 foot tower!) Really bad (some storms away actually help the signal)) for any other local channel. So i amc7 alot! My 8' has a non-visible amc8 sidelobe right now; it just won't tune both (guess i should try to get both instead.; i like the look of the dual beam amc8 however; and it looks dual cont. (NA+SA) only sideways. Bet Hawaii too is getting some of 8? Yes, on KU a 6 foot dish will receive spotbeams of the US DBS too!

And I do love the radio programs there also (it is a great radio set of channels); and move the dish that far now; as when I have a Noreaster (80 mph wind from the N.E.) that is what I get from my amc7 dish bends it right at amc8 if the wind stays steady. remind me to put cement inside the pole; also too...

Last edited:
Reactions: rgk
what in the fu*k are you talking about? Seriously can you speak simple English?

Thank you Ice, I thought I was the only one having trouble reading and understanding that post.

Reactions: Mr Tony
I personally wouldn't insult anyone over their language skills....not everyone's first language is English.
its not that.Try and read his posts. He rambles on for no reason and doesnt make any sense
we've helped plenty of folks who "english is not their first language"

Reactions: dougruss
I hate to conjecture in a public forum about personal situations. If you actually spent the time to sort through his posts there are indications that he is a highly intelligent person, probably of an advanced age. if his posts bother you don't read them, there is no need to respond in a rude manner.

I hate to conjecture in a public forum about personal situations. If you actually spent the time to sort through his posts there are indications that he is a highly intelligent person, probably of an advanced age. if his posts bother you don't read them, there is no need to respond in a rude manner.

He may be highly intelligent, but he purposefully words his phrases poetically and in riddles. This is not very helpful at all when someone is trying to get help with the sometimes hard to understand subjects discussed here, or when you're trying to help someone with said subjects. It's hard enough to figure things out without having to decipher a persons posts that are purposely written to be confusing and hard to understand.

You are correct about being rude though. I myself consider it to be rude and inconsiderate to post in the manner that he does, but maybe there are issues here that aren't readily apparent. I myself will do as Primestar and use the ignore option.

I personally wouldn't insult anyone over their language skills....not everyone's first language is English.

If it was simply a language issue, it would be consistent. It's not consistent. Since he has had (rarely) completely coherent, useful, and very well thought-out posts, he obviously chooses to write like some sort of weird poet the majority of times.

I have nothing against him personally, but the deliberate confusion to newbies is unexcusable when it's quite obvious he knows the difference.

Lol! Talk about a tension migraine for sure trying to figure out those posts! I was wondering myself if I was experiencing a bad dream while I was awake. Maybe those bizarre responses were written in top secret satellite code, it would help to have a decoder to descramble it all for us into sentences we can all understand better. :)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yes, and if you look at your posts; you omit the answer to their questions; because you do not sell a dish big enough; nor a mount that can receive; what you say on your websites is available from the satellite they question you about. Where is ARC then?

this channel list is AMC8 only... for only a GeosatPro hdvr1200 receiver

Attachments

• alaskaonlypro.zip
    121.4 KB · Views: 170
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts