Amiko HD SE - Satellite Search

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iBoston

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
North Central
Hey, why the heck does it bother listing the existing channels in blue when it scans to then overwrite your channel rename?!?! Why can't it leave your custom name intact??

Ugh! :wtf2

The only line of receivers I ever saw that wouldn't overwrite custom names was the Optibox Gekko/Anaconda/Raptor.

Thats why you make a custom sat list replace 101w ku that has only dod news on it. My nano does the same thing just make list on 101w ku.

Just seems like a common sense thing to me. The Amiko is a teaser, it highlights the channel blue saying "Hey, i see you already have this channel", and then rewrites your description just to rub it in!

Same thing with my AzBox Minime.

My Ariza 700 does not overwrite channel scan, but does not support s2 or 4:2:2
We already have an open enhancement request to have a scan option added in order to prevent existing channels from getting updated during rescans for the AzBox miniMe American Edition.

I don't think it should take too long for this to be implemented in a future firmware update.

We already have an open enhancement request to have a scan option added in order to prevent existing channels from getting updated during rescans for the AzBox miniMe American Edition.

I don't think it should take too long for this to be implemented in a future firmware update.

Well, if that feature gets added, that's enough to make me switch STB's

Overwriting a service names is not a bug, it is the way that DVB tables are read and the STBs user information is updated and kept current. Like GMT and incorrect time display, in a perfect world with correctly built tables, this wouldn't be an issue. Properly maintained mux tables provide a user with an updated service name and EPG data in the event that the broadcaster is changed.

I don't like my custom service names to be overwritten by the real service name transmitted on the table, so I change the Service ID using a channel editor. A GUI switch could be coded with many chipsets instructing the receiver not to update per the mux table on all or selected services. This method instructs the receiver to ignore the table or updated service information and not to update. The downside would be that new APIDs or data services would be ignored on that selected service ID. My friend, David McGrath had implemented this feature very well on the Fortec Star Mercury II. :D

I agree it would be a feature and its absence is not a bug, but as a feature hopefully it would have an on or off option. I also think it would come after bug fixing.

To be released "SOON".... :D

At least "SOON" is better than "Currently there is no chipset support in order to add this feature.". :biggrin
Embedded firmware development without the constraints of an API always takes longer as you have to code the new function entirely from scratch.

Reactions: Titanium
"Soon" reminds me of the Spanish saying "mañana mañana". Mañana is fine if it ever becomes Hoy.

It is fine if something that could be implemented is implemented. But to say tomorrow, tomorrow, but then tomorrow never comes... then the statement becomes moot..... I remember this same conversation and mention of the feature implementation from several years ago.... mañana mañana. :D

I remember this same conversation and mention of the feature implementation from several years ago....

Several years ago? Assuming you are referring to the AzBox miniMe American edition which hasn't been out for even 2 years yet, this hardly qualifies as "several years ago". :rolleyes:

To do this Just I need to put different random numbers on Service ID to keep my current names?
I am trying to do this on my openbox hd s9 editor

Correct. Just use a SID (Service ID) that is not used in the current table. For example: I typically will use SID 0 or something unusual like 99. It makes it easy to see which SIDs that I customized.

Only thing by changing the SID is that it doesn't fully resolve the issue as a duplicate channel with the generic name will get added during a rescan when doing this on most receivers which you then need to delete. This can be cumbersome if one has many renamed channels as these would have to be deleted every time a rescan is done but I agree that it's better than having renamed channels from getting overwritten.

The real solution to this issue is to have a feature coded in the firmware in order to prevent this from even happening in the first place.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.