AMIKO Amiko MINI HD se observations.

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
First the disclaimer: I don't know if this is the proper place to post this, so mods...feel free to move it! I figure it wouldn't hurt here, and may get the proper exposure for some responses.

Can others chime in to help those of us "new' to this box?

My observations from a couple days...and, I'm sure I've missed some features, but I'd love to know it so I can better enjoy the new box!

The box arrived from Satguys Member Wallyhts "gotCband" site in a very prompt manner...containing the new Amiko Mini HD box. I had heard an upgrade from my MicroHD would be beneficial. So, given the reasonable price, why not try?

I've got intermittent issues with the MicroHD and am waiting on a new power supply offered by the company, but buying a new receiver was a 'faster fix." Since I never updated firmware in the MHD, maybe I'll try that when the new power supply arrives and end up keeping it...who knows!

On...to the new "MIND HD"...

First impressions: Remote felt "substantial" not "cheap." (as someone else noted on satguys.) Other than learning new locations for function buttons, I like it! A display on the front of the receiver? Nice! I didn't have much for a "clock" in that room anyway... I thought the fact you can mount the device out of the way, and that they supplied a remote I/R sensor meant you could have this box hidden away if you have a closed cabinet without other hardware needed, but I'm not able to make this work...perhaps I've not found that part in the instructions if it's not "plug and play." It also came with "mountable" feet which will slide over properly positioned screws, or you can use the double-sided tape for less "accurate" physical installations.

Powering up: the preset transparency of the graphics (favorites, satellite, etc) are perfect for me, and from a distance, the "favorites" list is more visible without glasses from across the room.

Programming the unit: First, know that I run a 22khz switch into two separate 4-place diseqc switches. The 8-place didn't "play nice" with my MicroHD, and I have learned to stay with what WORKS. The first two positions on the 0 khz side are for c and ku on my BUD. The third on side one goes to a stationary C-band on 137W. The fourth goes to a dedicated ku on 105 for Cozi TV. Naturally I set the stationary dishes first to verify operation and ensure the box functioned properly. It did. NO problem. Standard setup procedures, nothing special needed or expected. The 22khz ON side feeds all Ku dishes for Ebru on 97W, NBC on 72, and there's two open ports.

Things I'd love to see in a STB: (which I have either "not found" yet in this one, or are not there as features. Comments and any help welcomed!

1) When programming a timer, let the channel selections come from FAVORITES, not from the whole satellite list. This is the second box where you have to be ON the channel or scroll through way too many channels to set a timer!

2) Allow the user to VIEW and SET timers while recording shows! Am I the only one who plans a "day away from home" but may already be recording on a weekend when I want to set another timer?

3) The one thing the MicroHD had that the new box doesn't. 99 satellite positions! Not that you NEED that many, but you gain versatility! With the MicroHD, 99 west was 99, while something at 109 could BE "09"...and 97 could be "97"...which seemed logical in my simple-minded world. For instance, the MicroHD could allow entering 89w as "89" where on the new box it's "10" (for lack of more positions.) Maybe this will be updated at some point. The Amiko only goes to 60, if memory serves.

4) The timed recording is a bit clunky for me, mainly due to what another user already brought up here on satguys. There's no (instructions for) direct access to recordings without getting multi-clicks deep into the menu. I also couldn't "find" my first recordings made earlier today, but I'm not sure why. This evening, as I post this, I am pleasantly surprised to find out that this receiver CAN read all the recordings I made with the MicroHD, meaning I don't have to dump them off to another drive just to make them usable! And, the ones from today look FINE! I'll try my usual "timers" tomorrow and report back.

I would love to be able to simplify the recording timers and playback!

Quality of picture? Very nice.
Temperature running? Seems cooler than the MicroHD.
'Net features? nice, but not really needed. I see NO mention of the clock correcting itself in this model.

I have NOT updated firmware, it's whatever was packaged with it.

Overall? Not a bad little box!
Help and comments, even corrections welcomed on any of the above....

received my Amiko Mini last week from KE4EST. My SatAV dish should be here on Thursday.
Yesterday my bride was wanting to look for some pictures on my old Laptop. I didn't really want to go dig up a VGA cable and take the TV off the wall to connect, so I dumped a ton of photos onto a Thumb-drive. I temp'd the Amiko box up and plugged-in the USB stick.

It worked! Cool (for a great many reasons) I was able to scroll through and view some photos-she was happy and I was relieved to not have to DC the wall mount! I went a step further and snagged my Cloned HDD and gave it a shot-worked too, and this is where I found a little hiccup.

I couldn't find a ''back" button...maybe I missed it, but I was unable to go back just one step-having to return to the main file screen and dig my way back in.

I completely understand the box wasn't made to view pics from a HDD (primarily), but thought I'd post to see what I was missing and share my joy with a new way to view our past....

oh, and I got my post set and coax runs made and terminated this weekend to boot-all I need now is the dish! Thanks SatelliteGuys!

Didn't know we had so many retailers of boxes here on Satguys! This is COOL! Please, readers...when buying new equipment ASK a member first! (It's the satguys version of "shop locally"...lol...

Had not tried the picture rendering function, sounds interesting! Will try it and see what I find about "back' button.
Good luck with your install, I think you'll like the box in the long run, once you get it up and running with a dish.
I watched last night and I swear the picture is more "vivid" but, it could be just that I "knew" I had a new receiver and my mind made me believe this....
Will post some screenshots if time permits later today.

while foolin' today playing downloaded YouTube vids from a thumb drive, I used the MENU button to 'back up' one step....

Update on timers: Performed flawlessly today. Getting used to thinking in "military time" with setting timers. And really, the extra step to get to the recordings is not bad
It's simply, "Menu, Record, Media, then select your playback file. NO biggie. yes, three more keystrokes to start.....maybe a shortcut someday??

Don't forget you can "youtube" right on this box. (if net connected.) Limited search....but it's there. Very BASIC 'net stuff.

The folder button on the remote will take you to the recordings. Doesn't seem to have a bookmark function unfortunately.

That's WONDERFUL!
Looks like some things you just have to "search' for.
Will likely re-program my universal so all the "familiar" buttons work as they always did.

Not sure if this is the place to ask but..... Have a Amico Mini HDSE in transit from gotCband. Looking for the downloadable channel editor or software like dreamboxedit. Found one at SL-lovers.com but got flagged as a spammer when trying to register and I cannot find the Contact us button on that site. Therefore I cannot access it. What am I looking for to edit this box when it arrives?

My observations.... Very Quick to setup. No lnb CONFIG needed. Took a second to learn the UI, but didn't take long to scan G16, then added a TP to scan that got missed. All fairly easy. Picture output using the supplied 3-plug RCA is Super,considering we were just using a dreambox 500s which looked crappy and dark. Output is back to what the Openbox s9 was displaying. :) Still trying to get it to show in my modem/router , but it does seem to have internet access, since I played with WEB TV ( how to maximize the video screen, now...) ,YouTube and a couple other apps. However The FTP app did not connect to any of the 3 preconfigured software servers (weird)
Very Good box for great price!:second

Would be nice to have "record" light on the front panel like the microHD....and, I've not yet gotten the included remote extender to work. Looks like one would use this if putting the unit in a closed cabinet for remote control to work. Anyone figured that one out? (the remote extension and how to activate it beyond plugging it in?)
Unit is very stable thus far.

While there's (maybe) still time to incorporate it...can SOMEONE please, please add a small capacitor or find a way to HOLD memory in these FTA boxes when it comes to our time and date settings? One tiny power blip yesterday during a pop up heavy storm that didn't even take my radio station off the air, and the time was GONE. Forgot to check it til this morning. This explains why the Saturday night timers didn't run!! This should not be a problem....people left blinking VCR's behind in the 80's!! We shouldn't have to put a UPS online just for a clock! Was hoping this box would hold time better than the MicroHD which also was prone to this, but it does not. Sad part is, I like BOTH of those boxes VERY much....that flaw excepted.

I didn't see that option anywhere in the menu...I was under the impression (poorly written instruction book, and reading reviews of the "larger" big brother receivers)
that this option exists only in the other STB's from this company. There is no mention of it I can find in the instruction manual. I'd LOVE to be able to do this. Perhaps, (like the "folder" button being instant access to recordings....a feature that a fellow satguys member wrote-of earlier in this thread) it's a hidden feature not talked about in the poorly written manual? Please tell!!! It is connected to the LAN, but I don't use any of the "entertainment" features. I just wanted to see to what degree they operate and whether I'd find them useful.

Too many STBs on my bench and at home! I confused the Amiko 8900 with the Mini HD SE.

You are so correct, no NTP on the mini HD SE. Sorry! :(

If a capacitor would fix the manual time reference, it would have been done long, long ago... The time function lives deep in the SOC chipsets and do not have a separate power source. Chipsets are primarily designed for providers, who transmit the data. Unfortunately, we survive on the crumbs fall into the seat cushions of the FTA market... :(

For 12Vdc STBs, I address an AC failure problem like others have and placed a 12Vdc rechargeable battery in-line with the AC adapter. It will power the STB and an LNBF for several hours in the operate mode. Just don't try and move the motor too many times!:eek:

thanks for the reply. I'll see what our station engineer can do....the nice prices STB's carry today mean not to worry too much about warranty. Wouldn't it be nice if a firmware update could do this? It seems such a simple thing!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)