Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Good morning everyone!

I am hearing some of you thought I was kidnapped yesterday or something. Actually yesterday I was VERY busy and it was probably my proudest moment since opening the site.

After yesterday's Dish Network press event I met with Charlie Ergen for a bit, after that met with Michael Neuman the President of Dish Network / Echostar. Michael was one of the friendliest people I have ever met and we had a great meeting.

After that we headed to the floor where I went to the DirecTV booth where I was deeply disapointed as they really were not showing anything, and what they were showing was not working or was mockups. There was nothing at the DirecTV booth. But what they did have I took plenty of pictures of. I will post those later.

I was also disapointed at the DirecTV booth that no one there could answer any questions for me, they only knew the scripted product they were showing.

I then headed over to the Dish Network booth where it was a world of difference. Almost everything was hands on and the people who knew the product were there answering your questions.

Hokieengineer and I talked with Jan Johnson for over 45 minutes and had some really good discussion.

Later I walked around the Dish Network booth and took lots of pictures and turned around and Charlie was there, I talked with Charlie some more and we talked about all kinds of things. I spent almost 2 hours with Charlie on the floor. What made me feel really good was all the SATELLITEGUYS members who saw me standing there talking with Charlie and coming up to me and saying hi.

At one point someone came up to me and said how much they enjoyed SatelliteGuys and how glad they were to meet me while never saying a word to Charlie who was standing there with me. After the person left Charlie jokingly grumbled that he must be chopped liver.

Charlie told me some of the details of the MPEG4 upgrade path and I think you guys will be really happy with what Dish has planned. Charlie asked me not to post it as he wants to save it for the Charlie Chat on Monday night and I will honor that request. Again I will say most folks will be happy, the offer sounds fair to me. :)

I then headed to Microsoft's booth to check out Windows Vista and its new Media Center, and I was impressed with what I saw. Full HD from DirecTV or Cable on your PC. I took photos here as well.

It took me 2 hours to get from CES to my hotel, so when I got to my hotel room I had to drop off my equipment and head to the Wynn for the Sound and Vision party, where I met a number of friends including master calibrationist Gregg Loewen and HD Net owner Mark Cuban.

Mark and I actually talked for awhile and he told me that SatelliteGuys was one of his regular stops, I felt so proud. We talked about a few things and I believe you may see some more stuff from HD Net here in the future. ;)

After that I headed back to my hotel and met SatelliteGuys member Don Landis and we had a great dinner together, it was a great way to cap the night.

As I said I have lots of pictures to share but will be unable to post them til I get on a broadband connection later on today.

Today I got a full schedule, at 9 am It off to the Dish Network booth for press interviews with the Dish Network staff, we will be doing a lot of video taping. This will go on until 11am after that I am going to try getting to the press room to upload photos.

Dont forget today at 3PM there will be a SatelliteGuys meeting at the Dish Network booth, so if you are here come by and say hi and pick the brains of the Dish Network staff.

Before I sign off for now I would like to say THANK YOU and welcome to all the new supporting pub members that donated yesterday, it makes me feel really good that you believe in what we are doing so much that you are willing to give us a little bit of your hard earnings. I can't thank you enough, flying out and doing a show like this does cost a lot, so thank you for your support it does mean a lot (And a big thank you to DON as well)!

I need to go get dressed and ready for todays events. If you are here and see me please do say HI.

More later!

Scott Greczkowski said:
Charlie told me some of the details of the MPEG4 upgrade path and I think you guys will be really happy with what Dish has planned. Charlie asked me not to post it as he wants to save it for the Charlie Chat on Monday night and I will honor that request. Again I will say most folks will be happy, the offer sounds fair to me. :)
Thanks Scott. Keeping my fingers crossed for good news Monday night. :)

Keep up the good work scott. and if you find someone at D* who has a clue ask them WTF the HMC is

Hey Scott, I'm thrilled to see that you said "Again I will say most folks will be happy, the offer sounds fair to me."

Can you just elaborate on one thing - Will people with more than one HD DVR unit be disappointed or happy?

Thanks for the great coverage!

The HMC was shown as a mockup (it looked nice) however they had no details about it since it was still a concept. I will post pictures of it later.

Masterdeals, More then one should be no problem, Dish understands that HD customers are their best customers. :)

Thanks for the update. I think everyone here was a little concerned that Charlie slipped you some Kool-aid and you would never be heard from again. :eek:

Seriously though, it must be very satisfying for you efforts to be validated by folks such as Charlie, Mark C and the like. Congrats!

Any word on the resolution issues? Is it moot now that new HD will be MPEG4?

Great info Scott.
Damn D* and it's NFL contract; I wish I could drop 'em. How do you go to your industry's biggest event with bush-league people, products and presentations? This is a window into their whole operation. If the marketing people read these posts, get your act together and fly the top engineers to Vegas on Rupert's jet tonight to display your products.

The resolution is the #1 question and scott didn't touch it. I'm sure he's not keeping up with the posts, so scott, people are desperately in search of an answer to what resolution they can expect in the future. Is it HD-Lite or not?

BTW, hate to rain on the parade, but Lou Rawls has died from Lung Cancer at 72...

...and scott, could you take the hat off? Maybe comb the hair? You're surrounded by men who collectively are worth billions...Represent eh? It's like going to your wedding in shorts...

Scott Greczkowski said:
Good morning everyone!
I need to go get dressed and ready for todays events. If you are here and see me please do say HI.
More later!
:eek:
Scott, thanks for your efforts all the information (except the veiled indication that you may be sitting in your hotel room posting naked - THAT you can keep to yourself next time)!

Purogamer said:
The resolution is the #1 question and scott didn't touch it. I'm sure he's not keeping up with the posts, so scott, people are desperately in search of an answer to what resolution they can expect in the future. Is it HD-Lite or not?

We asked and will have an interview ONLINE about it soon (Tonight or tommorow)

...and scott, could you take the hat off? Maybe comb the hair? You're surrounded by men who collectively are worth billions...Represent eh? It's like going to your wedding in shorts...

What hat? I didnt even bring a hat with me. :)

And even with my thining hair I have been having some good hair days here in Vegas. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
What hat? I didnt even bring a hat with me. :)
He is probably talking about the picture in your profile. But that was not from this CES, was it?

Purogamer said:
Oh snap, I thought that pic was from CES, nevermind...
...comb your hair anyways...
I thought it was from CES too. :eek:
Oh, and Scott, thanks so much for the updates. Your doing a fantastic job. :up

Thanks for the info. I know you are sworn to secrecy about a few details, but could you give us a hint about the timing of the 622 transition for existing users?

Paying for channels I can't see is something I can see making me REAL cranky.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts