Anik F1R and Anik G1 signal survey Post your results.

Pobs good luck I hope you can get G1 with a bigger dish! What signal number are you getting on 540 I'm curious?

Thanks. The line on "Option 4-7" is reading:

C. SignalT1 (540): 0, (Ecb/No -2.9 dB)

At night, with a clear sky, the signal has gone up on 75e.

Channel 009 8.5 dB
Channel 098 -1.1 dB
Channel 200 -1.1 dB
Channel 540 -2.9 db

So if I can find a 1.8 meter offset dish locally, I'll be optimistic.

If I cannot find a 1.8 m (6') offset locally -- I'll try mounting the F1R/G1 LNB, prime focus on my 9.5' Winegard perf (that I have not used in almost 10 years ;)). If it gets a watchable signal, I can always add a 36" (90cm) dish for F2.

My 120cm showed very little improvement over the 75e. My FX Canada is about 4 points higher, but no channels on G1. Area code 24541. I will try to get Bell 91 sometime. What a waste of $300!

I would let the lnbs and 4x4 switch go for 1/2 of what I paid for them, $60. The 4 foot dish will be either a Bell 91 or maybe a no rain fade for Dish 129.
Is Anik G1 just as tight as Nimiq 6? I still wonder why I can get Nimiq 4 so well!

I have ordered a 6 foot dosh from Sadoun; it was actually cheaper than the 4 foot I got from Ebay. I will post the results for va/nc border in 2 weeks. By the way.. I was NOT able to find 91 with the 4 foot dish, but my only meter is a tv and a receiver. But that 4 foot dish really brought 82 in! I get transponder 32 at 88% and 6 (lowest) at 72.

Miguel, will you try getting G1?
I have already tried with a 1.2 meter dish. I cancelled my 6 foot dish because it was a primr focus and someone explained to me that an offset 1.2 was justas good as a 6 foot prime focus for ku band.
After giving it some thought, I just decided to give up. When Bell first sent up N4, I could get no transponders with an 18" , most with. 24" and all with a 30" . Since I cannot receive any transponders strong enough to have a useable signal, I'll just try Bell with 82 only for French channels in HD. I have seen no real evidence that g1 is any different from 91; a lost cause. I made a mistake by switching to Shaw. I did so out of spite because Bell changed the 91 footprint.

You didn't make a mistake switching to Shaw if you are ok with what is already on Anik F1R and Anik F2. You will get most of the Canadian content most people are wanting anyway.

CCK

That is my question at this point. What are we going to be missing by not getting G1? Seems to me that two sats are better than just one, Shaw vs. Bell. Also Bell did not accommodate ppl that were south of the Canadian border. Oddly enough it is not illegal in the US to receive Canadian satellite as long as the programming isn't stolen. I would think that most of us on here are paying for the subscription to either provider.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The only advantage to my having Canadian television is having the West nets feeds, occasionally watching a Canadian TV show that is not available in the US, and French programming. I do not like to watch standard def, so, since I never lost 82, I made a mistake by listening to those who said that Anik G1 would not be ad tight as Bell 91 and that only locals would be on G1. I am better off upgrading my Dish package, I used, to think that the Dish's pic quality was low on HD, but my Hopper gives a very nice image, and just getting a low package with Bell that gives me West nets and TeleQuebec Tva and Src
CCK

That is my question at this point. What are we going to be missing by not getting G1? Seems to me that two sats are better than just one, Shaw vs. Bell. Also Bell did not accommodate ppl that were south of the Canadian border. Oddly enough it is not illegal in the US to receive Canadian satellite as long as the programming isn't stolen. I would think that most of us on here are paying for the subscription to either provider.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

A little late reporting, but just installed new LNBF on my 107.3 sat and updated the map, with classic lineup:

Patriot 85E Dish with xKu LNBF
Ch 354 Knowledge Network +10.9 dB ANIK F1R
Ch 644 CBET-CBC Windsor +9.6 dB ANIK G1
Ch 640 CICC-CTV Yorkton +9.7 dB ANIK G1

so within footprint, the signal is booming

Just to give it another shot, I decided to give Anik G1 another chance, since I had to tried in 3 years.

On a 6 foot Channel Master Dish, on the NC border, just north of Reidsville, NC, I was still only able to get a locked signal on T16. I tried on the KUSAT F1X LNB.

I even used the recommendations of someone who explained that I needed to use a powered 4x8 switch. I also tried an amplifier, but it made things worse.

My channel 299 is 13dB FX Canada is 11dB, but CHCH , 036, will work; the signal bar goes between 56 and 73. What makes no sense to me is that there is signal on some transponders, on others, none at all. Some, such as TeleQuebec, will read 4dB, but the signal bar is around 30 and not locked. Much was reading 1.9 dB, but not lock. Global Vancouver is at -10dB.

Why are some transponders completely dead?

Why in the world can I get Nimiq 91 on that dish, but no G1? Could I be receiving some terrestrial microwave interference? Is the KUSAT LNB F1X possibly just not amplifying G1 enough?

Reactions: madmadworld
Update.. I took the casing off a Shaw xku LNB so that I could tie it on to my big dish.

Transponder 16 is still the only one that is receivable. Nothing I did was able to change this. I tried running solid copper coax to the receiver, using a 4x8 multi switch, and installing an amplifier. I even took a dish reflector and moved it around the dish to make sure that I was not getting some kind of terrestrial interference. There was just no hope for G1 here . I assume the transponder 16 just is stronger than the others or just goes further south. I think, if I had an 8 foot offset dish, I might have gotten 2 or 3 more transponders.

Reactions: madmadworld

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts