Another beef... I kinda wish that all stations in native HD ARE IN HD on DirecTV...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
But yes, I know there's to account the cost and the bandwidth. But if there's an HD signal of the channel, it should preferably be in HD.

This is one of the many reasons I have cable now. If it's available in HD, my cable system pretty much has it. Adds up to 77 more HD channels than DirecTV. If DirecTV would simply drop the SD versions entirely, they'd free up lots of bandwidth. I realize there are good reasons they haven't done this yet, but, sheesh, it's taking forever. And as Dish users well know, many networks charge extra for HD (Disney HD anyone?), which providers aren't willing to pay.

This is one of the many reasons I have cable now. If it's available in HD, my cable system pretty much has it. Adds up to 77 more HD channels than DirecTV. If DirecTV would simply drop the SD versions entirely, they'd free up lots of bandwidth. I realize there are good reasons they haven't done this yet, but, sheesh, it's taking forever. And as Dish users well know, many networks charge extra for HD (Disney HD anyone?), which providers aren't willing to pay.
And 74 of them are channels no one watches.

As for networks charging for HD, all your providers charge for it as well ....
Don't say so and so doesn't charge for it, it's in there, they just didn't name it HD FEE.

And 74 of them are channels no one watches.

As for networks charging for HD, all your providers charge for it as well ....
Don't say so and so doesn't charge for it, it's in there, they just didn't name it HD FEE.
I watch American Heroes Channel ALL THE TIME. I wish DirecTV would provide the HD feed of that.

This is where my local cable company has really stepped it up. I used to have DISH and pulled the plug and went OTA, but after I saw what my cable company offered I signed up this past week. With the advent of Switched Digital Video they can supply ONLY the channels the cable box is tuned to and do not have to push all those signals down the wire, so their PQ is amazing. My local Charter provider supplies every channel in HD if that channel is offered in HD and they also supply my local RSN in FULL TIME HD, and also a secondary RSN in HD. Totally different than when I left them a decade ago for DISH. All that for a few dollars less than I was paying for DISH's package...

TCM HD has always been 100% up converted SD. Not a single program in native HD, in spite of the fact that everything shot on film on the past hundred years is higher resolution than HD.

TCM HD has always been 100% up converted SD. Not a single program in native HD, in spite of the fact that everything shot on film on the past hundred years is higher resolution than HD.
So, they haven't taken the time to re master ALL thier movies, can you blame them ?
The cost would be ridiculous and the fact that thier rating are not on the top side of the channels out there, I can understand that entirely.

Blame the channel, better yet, email them and ask them why they haven't spent Billions of dollars to re master their shows that are from 1970s and beyond.

I don't blame for that. I blame them for not broadcasting the thousands of titles already remastered in HD. Their commercials and intros aren't even in HD, nothing on that channel is HD. There's no excuse for that in 2014.

EDIT: I did a quick little check, and on today's schedule alone, at least half of the movies they're showing are available in HD. The way it was first discovered that they upconvert everything is that someone compared the HD version with the TCM version.

I don't blame for that. I blame them for not broadcasting the thousands of titles already remastered in HD. Their commercials and intros aren't even in HD, nothing on that channel is HD. There's no excuse for that in 2014.

EDIT: I did a quick little check, and on today's schedule alone, at least half of the movies they're showing are available in HD. The way it was first discovered that they upconvert everything is that someone compared the HD version with the TCM version.
Contracts ?

Contracts? Are you kidding me? They own the movies. They produce the intros. If a tiny network like FamilyNet can broadcast a 50 year old B-movie in HD, you're telling me, that Turner, the owner of the movies, can't? They're just cheap, lazy and incompetent.

Contracts? Are you kidding me? They own the movies. They produce the intros. If a tiny network like FamilyNet can broadcast a 50 year old B-movie in HD, you're telling me, that Turner, the owner of the movies, can't? They're just cheap, lazy and incompetent.
Easy answer, don't watch them.

Reactions: ChadT41
Easy answer, don't watch them.
Easier said than done. They have a monopoly on many titles. TCM is probably the channel I watch and record the most. That's way I'm so angry at them for continuing to ruin everything they show, and there's nothing I can do about it.

You do have a point. If Turner was still a small company, I could understand not affording to do the HD upgrade. But considering Turner is owned by BIG Time Warner, they should have done the HD upgrade already and show as many old movies in HD as possible.

Not necessarily true. Watch a current show of NCIS in HD. My Sony upshifted SD is sharper than most of the clips in these shows.

But I think the point trying to be made here is that most of the older films were digitized/converted to tape in the SD days and the studios are not anxious to drag them out of the archives, clean them up and re-digitize. And, on the really old ones, they spent all that money to colorize the black and whites to SD format.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts