Another local negotiation dispute in DE and MD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It's much more likely that Directv wants to keep them on the air after the contract expires, but the station won't let them.

Reactions: goaliebob99
It's much more likely that Directv wants to keep them on the air after the contract expires, but the station won't let them.
To be sure!

There is a whole lot of self-aggrandizing baloney rhetoric in the press release, not the least of which is that the two stations represent DIRECTV customer's "favorite programming".

Comparing a couple of LIL to the ESPN suite is a gargantuan reach on multiple levels.

A few pennies a day is a pretty indeterminate number and I'll bet it is actually a few pennies more per day than they were asking before.

standard practice with wboc

i posted a letter once upon a time
wmdt the abc local did the same thing

It probably is a very small amount.
Relative to what? Even if the number is three cents, that's 90 cents a month.

If it were truly negligible or even a reduction, would DIRECTV be fighting it? They've surely got bigger fish to fry with a couple of significant sports properties that they haven't announced agreements with with yet.

I don't know any of the details of this particular situation, but previous ones were literally over a few pennies a month. I doubt this one is much different.

heres a funny for ya
on WBOC's webiste in the FAQ section
http://www.wboc.com/story/1788533/faqs-on-satellite-waivers

Q. My satellite company told me WBOC denied my waiver request to receive local channels. Why?
A. Direct TV and Dish Network do not offer local channels in our area. WBOC has tried for the past 5 years to convince Direct TV and Dish Network to add our area to their local channel offerings. We have had senators write letters requesting these companies provide local service to their consumers without success. We encourage you to continue to share your desire for local channels with your satellite provider.

Relative to what? Even if the number is three cents, that's 90 cents a month.

If it were truly negligible or even a reduction, would DIRECTV be fighting it? They've surely got bigger fish to fry with a couple of significant sports properties that they haven't announced agreements with with yet.

3 cents per channel say over 1200 plus local channels adds up. It's like they are not the only ones asking for an increase so they say no to everyone. Directv carries every local except for something like 12 channels.

Directv carries every local except for something like 12 channels.
DIRECTV's locals page indicates they still have 13 markets to go but they apparently didn't count the most recent launch (582 days ago, Bend, OR).

Here's DIRECTV's FAQ about the WBOC situation (since Sportsnet LA is the crisis du jour over at directvpromise.com):

https://support.directv.com/app/ans...sion/L3RpbWUvMTQwNjIyOTk4Ny9zaWQvVTJPVnU2LWw=

DIRECTV claims that Draper Holdings is asking for nearly a 700% increase so this really doesn't seem to be a case of fighting over pennies.

DIRECTV's locals page indicates they still have 13 markets to go but they apparently didn't count the most recent launch (582 days ago, Bend, OR).

Here's DIRECTV's FAQ about the WBOC situation (since Sportsnet LA is the crisis du jour over at directvpromise.com):

https://support.directv.com/app/ans...sion/L3RpbWUvMTQwNjIyOTk4Ny9zaWQvVTJPVnU2LWw=

DIRECTV claims that Draper Holdings is asking for nearly a 700% increase so this really doesn't seem to be a case of fighting over pennies.

Yea that locals page isn't updated too often. I know for a fact that there have been more launches within the past 582 days, along with a lot of movement in the past 90 days. Lots of activity going on right now. :)

Yea that locals page isn't updated too often.
Perhaps as often as is necessary.
I know for a fact that there have been more launches within the past 582 days, along with a lot of movement in the past 90 days.
Comparing the transponder map LIL channels from October 9, 2013 there have been 12 stations added to the list and no new markets. A couple of markets not listed on the web page had been given some channels (Lafayette, Indiana - mostly Indianapolis remaps and Zanesville, Ohio) but those seem to have happened last year or earlier.

The list counts 212 TV markets and there remain 13 Nielsen DMAs that aren't carried -- just as it was last October 9th. DIRECTV has added a channel or two here and there but certainly nothing that rises to the level of "a lot of movement".

Perhaps as often as is necessary.Comparing the transponder map LIL channels from October 9, 2013 there have been 12 stations added to the list and no new markets. A couple of markets not listed on the web page had been given some channels (Lafayette, Indiana - mostly Indianapolis remaps and Zanesville, Ohio) but those seem to have happened last year or earlier.

The list counts 212 TV markets and there remain 13 Nielsen DMAs that aren't carried -- just as it was last October 9th. DIRECTV has added a channel or two here and there but certainly nothing that rises to the level of "a lot of movement".

Really, because I am pretty sure behind the scenes there has been alot of movement. In fact I am pretty sure that I am responsable for some of the transitions that are going on and have been going on for the past year. YOU HAVE NO CLUE what really is happening at DirecTV and make baseless assumptions. Quite a bit has been going on, but then again you have no idea and you have no idea the pride that is behind the DirecTV product from all employees to include making sure that we can get D14/D15 up in a reasonable time and the transitions involved to give customers more programming. Especially locals. Its quite an accomplishment to say that we almost have america 100 percent covered in local channels, but you wouldn't know that. Nor do you care, because all you seem to do is hate on Directv. It's ok its different strokes for different folks, but to really keep posting mis information is really disheartening.

Your also looking a transponder map that isn't quite accurate. After all Spaceway 1 and 2 is not a bent pipe system. Their spots can be dynamically routed on the bird from uplink to downlink. They do and have changed, especially with Directv 14 coming. It's not hard to load balance and add more channels as they contractually become available, and as the frequency's become available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mr Tony
Stations are counting on high re-trans fees now for additional revenue since commercials are bringing in less these days. Political spots and the re-transmission fees =$ for them.

YOU HAVE NO CLUE what really is happening at DirecTV and make baseless assumptions.
My observations are based on the transponder list which, as I understand it, is not dependent on whether or not the sampler of the data can receive a particular spot beam. Spots from Spaceway 1 and 2 are listed in the map. I would echo the note that Puerto Rico is being handled as a DMA (#213) as of May.

Perhaps you could offer an updated list of channels that customers in any of these DMA's receive:

Alpena, Michigan #209
Bowling Green, Kentucky #182
Casper-Riverton, Wyoming #197
Charlottesville, Virginia #183
Cheyenne-Scotts Bluff, Wyoming #196
Glendive, Montana #210
Grand Junction-Montrose, Colorado #185
Helena, Montana #205
North Platte, Nebraska #208
Ottumwa-Kirksville, Iowa #201
Preque Isle, Maine #206
San Angelo, Texas #198
Victoria, Texas #203

I would imagine that this wouldn't be proprietary information.

I don't mean to suggest that DIRECTV doesn't have broad LIL coverage, but I question your assertions that there has been a whole lot going on that has resulted (not planning or laying the groundwork) in delivery of LIL channels to those who weren't served a year ago or so.

My observations are based on the transponder list which, as I understand it, is not dependent on whether or not the sampler of the data can receive a particular spot beam. Spots from Spaceway 1 and 2 are listed in the map. I would echo the note that Puerto Rico is being handled as a DMA (#213) as of May.
On a transponder list that isn't accurate at all. I have already told you the spots on Spaceway 1 and 2 can change because the birds can be dynamically routed. You have to remember that SP1 and SP2 were originally designed for something different (internet) and reconfigured for their current mission and have wider channels than most spot beam birds.

I would imagine that this wouldn't be proprietary information.

I don't mean to suggest that DIRECTV doesn't have broad LIL coverage, but I question your assertions that there has been a whole lot going on that has resulted (not planning or laying the groundwork) in delivery of LIL channels to those who weren't served a year ago or so.

This makes me laugh so hard my ribs hurt! Actually you would be surprised at info is but I dont discuss this here or anywhere outside of authorized avenues. I actually love my job! Your assurtations are just that and nothing more because you REALLY have no idea what goes on. Directv has to prepare for a day that Distant networks are going to go away because there is 100 percent coverage. They are trying to figure out how that is going to work out exactly, especially once laws say they have to. That day is sooner than what you think. After all once STELAR passes 100 percent coverage will be a reality. STELAR is very close to becoming law and is expected to pass the Senate.

troll-dolls-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)