Antenna Installed, Only getting 2 channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dhfitch

Original poster
Mar 6, 2015
Burns Harbor, IN
I just installed an antennacraft HBU 33 antenna on my roof, about 30 ft above ground level. I have it at 300-310 degrees. The problem is I am only getting two channels to come in on my tv. I have a report from TV Fool that looks like I should be getting a lot more channels that are about 32 miles away in Chicago. Any advice on what I can do would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Which two are you getting? Looked at the TVFOOL report and agree, but if you were pointed further west than you think, you might just get the two to the SW. Try turning the antenna 20-30 degrees to the north.

I just installed an antennacraft HBU 33 antenna on my roof, about 30 ft above ground level. I have it at 300-310 degrees. The problem is I am only getting two channels to come in on my tv. I have a report from TV Fool that looks like I should be getting a lot more channels that are about 32 miles away in Chicago. Any advice on what I can do would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Please describe how you have the antenna mounted and cabled? Do you have 1 continuous cable from the antenna to the TV set? Are there any splitters or amplifiers in the line is it a new cable or an existing cable? How many TVs are you connecting? Is the narrow end of the antenna pointed at 310 degrees? By any chance is the center conducter bent over on either end of the coaxial cable?

The HBU-33 is a directional antenna, might need to point it a little bit better towards the direction of the station you want. If you want to receive more you might consider adding a rotor or even a pre-amplifier. And, the information provided by the manufacturer is a ball park figure as to the range it will receive. If there are obstructions between you and the station this could attenuate the signal. Are you using low loss cable such as RG/6?

Welcome to Satelliteguys.

HBU33_zoom.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> This end aims at the stations.

New transformer? New RG6 coax??

Which two are you getting? Looked at the TVFOOL report and agree, but if you were pointed further west than you think, you might just get the two to the SW. Try turning the antenna 20-30 degrees to the north.
I am getting CBS in HD and some station called Decades that just shows old 80's sitcoms. I originally had the antenna at 330 degrees, but only got the two channels. So today I adjusted it to the 300-310 degree area and am still getting the same two channels.

Please describe how you have the antenna mounted and cabled? Do you have 1 continuous cable from the antenna to the TV set? Are there any splitters or amplifiers in the line is it a new cable or an existing cable? How many TVs are you connecting? Is the narrow end of the antenna pointed at 310 degrees? By any chance is the center conducter bent over on either end of the coaxial cable?
I bought a mast and attached the antenna with the U bolt on the antenna. Bought a brand new 50 foot coaxial cable and I ran it down the side of the house and screwed it into the outside connector where our dish had run into the house. Once inside the house it does go through a splitter, but the funny thing is that the other TV that should be getting the signal is showing no signal. As far as I can tell the center conductor is not bent. And the antenna is pointed the right way.

wrong splitter most likely. Any printing on that splitter?? Run your cable directly to one tv. Report results.
12.1 CBS & 12.2 Decades?

Reactions: spongella
Welcome to SatGuys, Dhfitch!

I'd do like Fat Air suggests, run straight to one TV and bypass the outside connector, splitter, inside wiring, etc and see if that makes a difference. If you're using the connector and wiring from an old Dish install, could be a switch or something in there somewhere. Also check that all your cable is RG6 and not RG59, especially the cable on the other side of your outside connector {the old wiring inside}.

Reactions: spongella
Good suggestions on bypassing the splitter and going straight to the TV. The splitter used for your satellite old dish might not be compatible for the TV frequencies.

Good suggestions on bypassing the splitter and going straight to the TV. The splitter used for your satellite old dish might not be compatible for the TV frequencies.
No signal on one side and poor signal on one TV sounds like it could be a diplexer instead of a splitter.

The HBU33 is a great antenna. I had one at my house in Minneapolis and it worked 29 miles from the towers

But here is something nobody brought up. You are getting 2 stations 2-1 & 2-2 which is on RF12 which is VHF. Make sure your TV is set to "Antenna" and not "Cable" and do a rescan.

using a generic tvfool you should have no issues getting the stations
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=f1f0752977243d

Great point Iceberg!

While on that subject, you might want to check your TV's menu options to see if it has a signal strength indicator, sometimes that can be found in the "Diagnostics" or "Support" option. That is handy for tuning the antenna. Best if someone is in the house with a walkie talkie (or a loud voice will do) and someone is on the roof turning the antenna for the best signal.

With digital TV, antenna pointing is a lot like dish pointing, but without the elevation angle.:coco

Good catch, Ice. Of course, I can say in my defense that I didn't know which stations he was getting.

I agree with others that you need to replace the splitter.

But here is something nobody brought up. You are getting 2 stations 2-1 & 2-2 which is on RF12 which is VHF. Make sure your TV is set to "Antenna" and not "Cable" and do a rescan.
I wonder if that really works. Reason I say that is for gits and shiggles I tried a rescan on my 32" HDTV with it set to cable and it found no channels. We have RF8 & RF10 in the area.

Maybe some TV's can decode it?

The HBU33 is a great antenna. I had one at my house in Minneapolis and it worked 29 miles from the towers

using a generic tvfool you should have no issues getting the stations
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=f1f0752977243d

Sounds like that is part of his issue, and don't use anything older or used MATERIAL that was outside before make sure the pre-amp is a very good one, and it's mounted AT THE ANT. END, WHERE IT COMES INTO THE HOUSE the other power end is at the TV set, then from that point you run your splitter.

TV MUST BE SET TO ANT. Not cable which most are from the factory that would filter out CHs YOU WOULD NEVER SEE THEM EVER

But here is something nobody brought up. You are getting 2 stations 2-1 & 2-2 which is on RF12 which is VHF. Make sure your TV is set to "Antenna" and not "Cable" and
Thanks for the advice Iceberg. This seemed to fix the problem. My TV had an option for "cable" or "air" and I assumed to go on cable since that is what I was using to route the antenna to the TV. Now I also got rid of the splitter that was on the coaxial cable in my basement, any suggestions on how to get the other TV's hooked up as well?

I would buy a good preamp which goes as close to the Ant as possible to reduce the signal to noise ratio YOU DON'T WANT TO INCREASE NOISE, only real signal, since your power source will be at the TV set use a power divider one side lets DC through that goes to the power supply unit at the TV the other side goes to the other TV put it on ANT not CABLE and your good, depending where you live a rotor for the Ant would be good. Use good cooks, but even good coaxes adds noise, so that's why the preamp stays at the ANT. source. It's been a long time since I did off air work, done with roof work, when my hip went, too many falls, I don't trust myself anymore, I can't even get my 12foot C-band band down next to the house I put up. Plus, I need a new left shoulder first, sucks getting old, if your joints wear out, half job related, half bad genes I think

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts