Any of you guys switch from Dish Network to Comcast recently?

FearTheVoices

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
NH
How is the picture quality comparison? I am getting really fed up with Dish Network. It seems wherever i go either to a restaurant, bar or someones house everyone has much better picture quality than myself. And on top of it they much inferior HDTV's(cheap $1000 vs $3000+ plasma on my end)

Directv is not an option as my neighbors tree is right in the LOS to the satellite.

Reactions: Tyralak
How is the picture quality comparison? I am getting really fed up with Dish Network. It seems wherever i go either to a restaurant, bar or someones house everyone has much better picture quality than myself. And on top of it they much inferior HDTV's(cheap $1000 vs $3000+ plasma on my end)

Directv is not an option as my neighbors tree is right in the LOS to the satellite.

Yep. Earlier this year, I dumped Dish for Comcast. Far superior picture quality, and better on demand. The only drawback is their X1 platform isn't quite as advanced as the Hopper, but it's worth it to get away from Dish. If you spend some time on the phone with them, they're usually willing to give you killer deals too.

Yep. Earlier this year, I dumped Dish for Comcast. Far superior picture quality, and better on demand. The only drawback is their X1 platform isn't quite as advanced as the Hopper, but it's worth it to get away from Dish. If you spend some time on the phone with them, they're usually willing to give you killer deals too.

What hopper features are missing? We really don't use many of the features of the hopper i imagine. All we pretty much do is watch live TV and record some programs.

What hopper features are missing? We really don't use many of the features of the hopper i imagine. All we pretty much do is watch live TV and record some programs.

I wouldn't say missing, the guide is somewhat different, and not as much storage space. However, if you don't archive a crapton of stuff for long periods of time, it works great.

I have had all three (D, E and Comcast) in the last 8 years.
Picture in order
DirecTV
Comcast
Dish

Some people say you can't tell, but I could always see that Dish HD was softer, I like a nice sharp picture and both DirecTV and Comcast gives me that but D* is a tad better.

Never had the Hopper, but the X1 works great, the storage space has never bother me since so much is online like HBO GO, Showtime, Starz, we only record shows from the Networks, AMC and FX and a few others.

As far as price goes, make sure you tell them them you have Dish now and they will give you a better deal and if you agree to a 2 year contract ( and their prices stay the same for 2 year unlike the Sat. Companies that jump the 2nd year) they will give you a upgrade or two.

For example-I have the Starter Package with HBO and Blast Broadband, they gave me (to keep me from going to U-Verse) a upgrade to Extreme 105 and Showtime and Cinemax ( we have Starz free from a mistake they made ) for a $1 each a month all I had to do was agree to a 2 year contract, all I pay is $106 a month which includes one X1 box and one HD DTA box, we own the Modem so that saves $10 a month and our price stays the same until March 2017.

I am always amazed at what people pay for Sat. TV service only, I see people posting how much their bills are and usually it is more then what I pay for TV and Broadband.

Reactions: Tyralak
If your going to a bar or restaurant your more than likely watching directv
As DIRECTV doesn't carry Pac12 and CSN NW, most bars around where I live have aligned with Comcast -- even some dedicated sports bars with football friendly names. Comcast is the only way to reliably get Trailblazers basketball coverage.

NFLST, as a few hours on Sunday proposition, has become considerably less attractive for all but the truly hardcore with the addtion of Sunday, Monday and Thursday games.

On the topic at hand, Comcast here has the worst picture on national channels. ESPN HD is sometimes hard to watch with some very intrusive artifacting. The locals are fairly good and the ABC affiliate comes in via fiber.

I've never been to a Bar or Restaurant with Dish service.
All the big Restaurant Chains I've Been to have Directv.
Ruby Tuesday, TGI Friday, Damons, Quaker Steak and Lube, Unos, Red Robin.

And most local bars around my Area have Cable, and Few with Directv.

One Time I stayed at a Motel in western Pa that had Dish.

Dish must bigger on the West coast, because I've been up and down the east coast, and never stepped into a Commercial establishment with Dish Network service.

This is in Just this one town in LA
Doesn't look like Directv is too hard to come by.
In fact they even have an app.
2b8f790091584dc9beefcb5a6dfafea3.jpg

As DIRECTV doesn't carry Pac12 and CSN NW, most bars around where I live have aligned with Comcast -- even some dedicated sports bars with football friendly names. Comcast is the only way to reliably get Trailblazers basketball coverage.

NFLST, as a few hours on Sunday proposition, has become considerably less attractive for all but the truly hardcore with the addtion of Sunday, Monday and Thursday games.

On the topic at hand, Comcast here has the worst picture on national channels. ESPN HD is sometimes hard to watch with some very intrusive artifacting. The locals are fairly good and the ABC affiliate comes in via fiber.
I bet Dish not having any NY RSN hurts them more then Directv not having Pac 12.

Reactions: raoul5788
One Time I stayed at a Motel in western Pa that had Dish.

Dish must bigger on the West coast, because I've been up and down the east coast, and never stepped into a Commercial establishment with Dish Network service.

I have been to two different motels in Colorado - one in Colorado Springs and one close to Keystone - that had Dish, and I was at one hotel just outside of San Diego that had Dish. Every other motel or restaurant I have been to had either DirecTV or cable. The hotel in Colorado Springs had a bar area on the first floor, and when I stopped down there for a late dinner, the slate for the HD RSN was on. I got a chuckle out of that. I am guessing the game recently ended and they didn't change it to ESPN or something else.

Reactions: Troch77
Ok, so i just called and got this for service..

2 Year Commitment - $129.99 Plus Tax - Total with taxes $145ish I imagine.
Internet : 150mbps
Two X1 DVR's
220+ Channels
HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz and more premiums i cant remember
ETF: $230 minus $10 a month of service

Upgrading from
Comcast Performance Internet 25mbps : $71.99 After Taxes
Dish Network - $76.99 ( a couple discounts expiring so it will be around $87 in a month or two)

Looks like i will break even or save $5-$10

So now a quick run down of what i am getting

Internet - 150mbps vs 25mpbs
Channels - Same package + All Premium Channels Included ( No need to call Dish every few months and try to get free HBO etc..)
Picture Quality - My biggest deciding factor - TBD and I will let you all know here when I install it all on this Friday 12/4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)