Any OLED news at CES this year?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

iKramerica

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Since this is the technology I am waiting for for my next HDTV, I am interested in any news re: this front.

I have heard of OLED for a few years now. It looked very interesting then. I seen where the HD camcorder coming out was going to use OLED as the screen in that camcorder. Maybe there are better technologies that may replace it before it comes out as a television or computer monitor.

Anyone with real information?

What does LED backlighting have to do with OLED? LED backlighting is just using regular LEDs in place of the fluorescents that are used now.

Or did I miss something in that link?

Right now, OLEDs are used on small screen applications like cell phones, cameras, etc.

Benefits are they are brighter, have faster response times, and use less power than an LCD with backlight.

But there have been demonstration of 40" OLED panels. I was asking if there were any new examples this CES.

It is the next flat panel technology, but because LCD and Plasma are well established, there is no reason for manufacturers to introduce them until the price is right and the technology is mature.

Once they do, though, you can expect LCD and Plasma TVs to phase out rather quickly.

Manufacturability is a concern. OLEDs are susceptible to water damage, even from moisture, and must remain sealed. Scaling up in size while maintaining consistency across the "panel" seems to also be a concern. Durability is a concern- limited lifespan and uneven aging of colors. IIRC.

navychop said:
Manufacturability is a concern. OLEDs are susceptible to water damage, even from moisture, and must remain sealed. Scaling up in size while maintaining consistency across the "panel" seems to also be a concern. Durability is a concern- limited lifespan and uneven aging of colors. IIRC.

And this is news in response to my question, how?

Again, I'm asking a simple question if there was any OLED news at CES.

We can debate the merits of this NEW technology another day.

Besides, people had all sorts of complaints and doubts about Plasma and LCD in the past too, but most have been solved and the rest lived with. I have little doubt OLED will prove itself.

I'm just asking if anyone showed new panels or product prototypes?

Chill. We can start threads, but then they're open for discussion. Staying on topic is nice, but anyone can expand the topic a bit. None of us have much control over a thread once it's launched. We are equals in a cooperative environment (hopefully), not peons to be ordered to provide answers.

FWIW, I have great hopes for OLED also and follow everything I can find on it. But I can see it's years away, and so may be my "next" HDTV. I have an HDTV I bought last year, and figure it'll be my main TV for at least 5 years. Not every technology "makes it." Some have technical or financial problems that are never overcome. Some are superseded by other technology. I hope you're not holding off waiting for OLED before you get an HDTV- if so, you're missing out on years of HD enjoyment.

Off hand, from what I've read, there really wasn't much on OLED at the show.

And BTW, you're welcome. Although you don't like comments that do not seem to be direct answers to your question, any replies help keep this thread near the top, where it is more likely to be seen and maybe responded to by someone who was at the show.

OLED had NO presence at CES beyond incorporation into the normal CE devices such as MP3 players, car stereo head units, etc. IMO as a display device the technology will be stillborn. Mitsubishi is working on OLED and says commercialization of the technology will be at the end of 2007. I tend to wonder... except for laptops and portables if it won't be stillborn. SED is the technology to beat going forward.

Hitachi's OLED Tech Demo:

Hitachi's OLED Tech Demo:
Hitachi showed off their latest in Organic LED (OLED) display technology. What's unique about this technology is that each pixel on the screen emits its own light so there is no need for a backlight like in traditional LCD displays. The display on the show floor was looping video of bright, colorful scenes that Hitachi put together obviously attempting to show off the impressive color reproduction capability of the display.
The screen measured 7" diagonal with a WVGA resolution (854x480). The video being looped played smoothly with no indication of ghosting, although it did not include any fast motion scenes so we could not get a good idea of the response time.
Though the picture quality was good for a tech demo, what really impressed us was the thickness (or thinness, rather) of the screen. The display was barely over an eighth of an inch thick and completely flat (excluding the stand). Hitachi says they have no official plans to release any products using this technology yet, although considering how impressive the demo was, it's safe to assume we'll see this display being utilized in the next few years.
http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2665&p=17

Attachments

• oled.jpg
    oled.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 411
  • oled2.jpg
    oled2.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
What does SED technology consist of? I figured there would be something better than OLED that would be found before OLED would make it to market.

Stargazer said:
What does SED technology consist of? I figured there would be something better than OLED that would be found before OLED would make it to market.

Take a CRT sans one big Electron gun, in it's place you have many smaller one's shooting at the screen allowing them to shrink it DRASTICALLY and you have the SED. So basically if you want the picture quality that CRT offers and have stayed away from big screens because of the less than CRT PQ you need not worry anymore, all you do is buy an SED and you'll be set. In fact I hope to buy one in two years time or more.
All I'm saying is this better make Plasma and LCD a thing of the past for big screens or I'll be furious. I think it would be ridiculous to see a technology for big screens no one can complain about PQwise falling by the wayside.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)