Anyone Else With This Video Issue?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tron2012

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
IL Suburbs
I've had this problem since last Spring and is not because of any recent SW updates. Since it does not always happen I think it's more of a software problem and not hardware. It happens every so often where I try to access a recording on the Hopper 2K (that box has PTAT enabled) from my Hopper w/Sling (which does not have PTAT enabled). Happens at various times and not like only during PTAT, when the HwS is recording, etc... where we could isolate a possible cause.

Basically, from the HwS you start a recording from the regular Hopper and then the HwS shows a frozen screen of a local channel. You can kind of make out it out from the video (at 52 secs.) that I was on a local (but non-PTAT station) when I started to watch the recording but the screen froze on a different local. You can't really use any of the buttons for ff, rew, pause (and see that weird orb with a red line icon) but can get out by pressing Cancel a few times. The info banner shows that you can change channels and the audio follows so the tuner is actually changing channels but the picture stays frozen. Only when I shut off the Hopper does the picture come back...if the Hopper doesn't automatically reboot itself. Seems the reboot will solve the problem for a while (few days maybe) then the issue comes back. Hit-or-miss.

It seems that the 'frozen' channel is the tuner that's using PIP. That's the only thing I think is common when this happens. I've already PM'd a Dish person about this (with video), so we'll see where this gets me. But wanted to see if others experience this.

<Apologizing ahead of time for the meowing cat in the background.>

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same problem as you have. Basically I have 2 HWS and 1 joey. I will watch a recording from one HWS via my second HWS and after the program has ended and I attempt to watch a second program live the screen will freeze. I can hear the program but the screen is frozen on the previous show that I have already watched (basically I cant turn the channel but I can hear it).

I noticed that this mainly happens if 2 or more tuners are recording on the HWS that I had just watched ( the same one with the frozen screen). I figured that the system must some how be overloaded?

I don't use the PIP so this must be something else that causes it.

A reboot fixes the problem but it is annoying. I noticed a few months back and it happens a few times a month at most.

Luck for you that you at least get to watch the recording! Mine never starts. And this happens with something recording on the sling box, when it's not recording (like this example), anything. Very random.

Lol. Embedding disabled by request. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyHXr0T7aKM

Awesome cat btw. Anyway yeah I remember that bug, I've even gone as far as trained myself to get out of the PiP tuner before attempting to watch a recording from another Hopper. That bug has been around since the day they introduced sharing between Hoppers (and that was on the original Hopper.)

Last edited:
I think the "that weird orb with a red line icon" says that recording (red dot) is forbidden (red slash).
I've gotten it on playing back some recordings and can usually proceed by doing a skip back or such.
I know I was not trying to record but it thinks I am. It's been there for months.
-Ken

Thanks, Ken.

Wanted to keep the videos just for my purposes and not the world. ;)

So it's good to know it's a known issue. Since it's known and others have this problem then that lowers the priority for Dish. I'm now starting to understand the logic in their prioritization process. <sarcasm>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)