Anyone have an OLED?

lakebum431

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
Norris, TN
I stopped at BestBuy yesterday because it was right next door to where I had lunch. The LG OLED sets are absolutely amazing. It was obviously on a 4k loop and that helps, but the black levels are beyond imagine. The price tag is the only thing holding me back. $6k for the 65" is still just more than I want to pay. I'm still using my Pioneer Kuro 60" (RIP Plasma technology). I paid under $3k for that several years ago after searching out a fantastic deal and really would like to pay about that for the OLED upgrade. I also would honestly prefer to go to 70" for the next set, but obviously that isn't even an option at this point. I really wish there was more than one player left in the OLED world as that would help greatly with price.

So, does anyone own one?

The latest, just released LG 65EF9500 65" 4K OLED set (this one is flat, not curved) is currently priced below $5000 at Best Buy (and elsewhere). $2000 off its original MSRP. That is still rather high, but I am pleased to see the OLED prices coming down so quickly! Very soon it will be so hard to resist. :devilish

I am going to move this thread to the 4K sub-forum. Hope that's ok.

Ilya

Last edited:
Call me when there's a flat screen OLED 60"+ fully compliant with HDR and all finalized specs, with the full increased color space, for less than $2,000.

Judder seams to be a problem with OLED.
Don't know if it's the tech but several reviews have mentioned on YouTube.
I'm with Navy. I'll take one when they are sub 2k.

Reactions: navychop
Call me when there's a flat screen OLED 60"+ fully compliant with HDR and all finalized specs, with the full increased color space, for less than $2,000.
Well, the LG 65EF9500 has a flat screen and has HDR. To which extent it is "fully compliant" will be clear next year when the first HDR sources will start appearing. But currently it is one of the best TV sets out there!
It will probably be awhile before OLED prices reach the sub-2K level, since LG currently has no competition. My guess would be 2-3 years.

Reactions: navychop
Judder seams to be a problem with OLED.
I haven't seen any judder complaints specific to the 65EF9500. But maybe I missed something.
I suspect that most judder problems that people complain about can be corrected by adjusting some settings.

By the way, the 55" version (LG 55EF9500) is currently $2,999.98
(Two pairs of 3D glasses included) ;)

You're right, it is $5k now (that sale just started). That helps but still isn't quite where I need it to be. As I said, around $3k is my target. I also haven't seen the judder complaints. I would like to read about that if anyone has a link.

The 55" is just too small for my needs. I have a 60" now and it is time for a jump up. In all honesty I want 70", but that isn't an option for OLED yet.

Here's at shootout with the top Samsung UHD and LG ef9600.
Talks about judder near the end.

Call me when someone other than LG makes them. ;)
As I understand, the only other company who has announced an OLED 4K set so far is Panasonic.
But the panels will be likely made by LG, since no one else currently makes them.

The EG9600 is actually an older model.
As for the judder, there is a de-judder control in the settings. We don't know what this reviewer had it set to. ;)

Talks about judder near the end.
It drove me crazy that they didn't calibrate the TVs (the LG was kinda blue) and that they were typically showing the Samsung from an fairly steep angle; something that they made a repeated point was a huge drawback. The flat screen version of the SUHD doesn't seem as bad with off-axis to me.

I expect that we're going to see TVs that actually shift refresh rates to accommodate lower scan rates.

Reactions: klang
The EG9600 is actually an older model.
As for the judder, there is a de-judder control in the settings. We don't know what this reviewer had it set to. ;)

I believe the only difference is one curved one flat.

I believe the only difference is one curved one flat.
My understanding is that they are similar, but not identical. For example, the 65EF9500 comes with HDR support included, while the 65EG9600 does not. The HDR support is promised via a firmware update though.

What is the maximum nits these will be able to achieve?
Is LG working with Dolby vision HDR?

What is the maximum nits these will be able to achieve?
Is LG working with Dolby vision HDR?

In the Reviewed.com article mentioned above, they measured the following:
"The EF9500 tested with a massive ANSI contrast ratio if 143,700:1, with a (calculated) black level of 0.001 and a reference ANSI brightness of 143.70 in the ISF Expert1 picture mode."

LG-65EF9500-Contrast-actual.jpg

I am not sure about Dolby Vision, but it is supposed to be compatible with Netflix HDR.

Building a house next year and one of these is on my list for the theater. By the time I get ready to install I expect the larger model to be within a reasonable price. The 3D demo I saw on the 65 inch model was stunning.

In the Reviewed.com article mentioned above, they measured the following:
"The EF9500 tested with a massive ANSI contrast ratio if 143,700:1, with a (calculated) black level of 0.001 and a reference ANSI brightness of 143.70 in the ISF Expert1 picture mode."

LG-65EF9500-Contrast-actual.jpg

I am not sure about Dolby Vision, but it is supposed to be compatible with Netflix HDR.

Just read it can peak around 800 nits. Which is so so for the HDR world.
Dolby Vision will be able to peak at 4000 nits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)