Anyone have an OLED?

Chad should be in around mid April for my cal, going with 2D and 3D and I am ordering an eecolor 3D lut box which will pretty much allow for perfect color in 2D.

Ive settled on Deblur 10 (I think it is just a scanning backlight type tech that gives the full 600 lines of motion rez) and Dejudder 1. There is some slight frame creation but you have to get to 3 for SOE. What it does it help with is the double imaging on fast pans. I like 2 a little better but there are a couple of 1080i Dish programs where it has odd hitching. So for 3D and 2D blu I use it at 2, and then turn back to 1 for Dish.

Chad will be here 4/23 and Ill post those charts when done. OLED will have 300-400 hours on it by then and his recommendation was around 300 before a cal. Allows for a good bit of comp cycles to run, but not a scientific fact, just a calibrators opinion.

The CMS controls on these dont work well, but it is good from the factory and many calibrators dont touch them. I will have the Lumagen next week, so once he runs the 729 point CMS cal with it, Ill post thos charts too.

Just to touch base, still the best display I have ever owned (almost 300 hours on it now). Enjoying the hell out of 3D, too bad the selection of 3D Blu-ray seems to be diminishing…

I am starting to consider this. I noticed that Amazon is now listing a newer LG 65E6P (at a significantly higher price). Anyone have a feel what the real differences are over the 65EF9500 other than an additional HDMI port and an updated engine?

Dolby Vision and more light output. Also hits 99 or 100% of DCIP3 vs 88% IIRC.

I will say though, I am only using OLED Light 42, 100 is eye searing so brightness is not an issue the EF has LOL. Does make for nice 3D too.

I think the Cleveland Plasma prices on the EF are looking pretty good too right now.

How are you coping with the black levels on OLED? That is the one thing that soured me on panels TV's. They are like a mirror and I can see my reflection in any dark colors on the screen like blacks and dark blue's. Many people don't mind but that bothers us. LED also has the problem too but not quite as bad.

The filter on the OLED is better than any filter I have seen reflection wise. It blows my VT50 plasma out of the water. The panel is also so bright without ABL kicking, during the day you do not lose parts of the image to reflections. The black levels during movie time, in a pitch black room, are what are most impressive. You have 8 million + dimmable zones.

IMG_0115_zpsbjwksdyv.jpg

Calibration day!

Reactions: teachsac
Chad was here from 1000 to 1930. We did ISF1 for normal content and ISF2 for HDR content.

It looks noticably better with "normal content", and the HDR modes could be slightly improved via grayscale, but there wasn't much else to control. It reminds me of 3D back in the day, you calibrated your display for 2D, and when you watched a 3D disc you just threw it in and enjoyed what you got. Not a big deal because I've been through this before, but the 2016's and 2017 models will probably offer better control over an HDR cal, like todays displays have excellent 3D calibration controls.

Going to take time... It's also funny, the Standard vs WCG modes offered 87% P3 and 88% P3 respectively, and the WCG mode tried to make colors seemingly more vibrant I guess, because it's errors were HIGHER than standard. If anything I'd recommend watching UHD in Standard color mode, not Wide. Even at gamma setting 2.4, it was still low. Between that and the colors, it was LG's tricks for making the display seem brighter.

Reminds me of the days when plasma did the same kinda tricks you could not beat, to get more light output. Not a good move but it is what it is. Like I said, Ive been through this with 3D, and it is not a big deal to me, because even in the poor as found mode The Martian UHD in HDR looks great to my eyes, so I imagine the after version with a slightly better gamma and better grayscale will be even more enjoyable. I hope to watch The Revenant tomorrow night and will use the ISF2 HDR mode.

Audio sounds great, he uses Audyssey Pro and then checks and finds things to improve using REW. We found my subs had a dip at 20hz were we able to fix, and it has some more kick to it now. I know that because we watched the armored car scene from The Dark Knight, something I have watched a ton and know what to expect.

So, end of it all, I have a very accurate standard mode, and a more accurate but far from perfect HDR mode, which I imagine will be kinda what you get from 2015 and even 2016 models. The 2015 models blank out the grayscale stuff when HDR is on, so you read it with HDR on, see the errors, cut HDR off, make adjustments for that, cut HDR back on, check... Rinse and repeat. The 2016's add more control that isn't blanked out with HDR on. Chad got some help from Tyler at Spectracal while we were working our way through this, and he confirmed what we were seeing is what they had seen on the 2015, and also that the 2016's offered more control.

Finally, we verified what Chad's new quantam data 780 generator put out with HDR on. BT2020, 10 bit. Just what you would expect it should.

Some quick notes on HDR and cal settings:

Gamma 2.4 was better than 2.2 in HDR mode.

It was right at 400 nits in HDR mode, or 119fL.

Standard showed almost as much P3 as Wide, and it's dE errors were less. This is the reason if you pause on The Martian UHD when they are on the surface and flip back and forth, everything gets more vivid with Wide on.

Upping tint and reducing color a little in HDR mode helped the gamut dE error. The only real corrections to gamut in HDR and non HDR mode helped skin tones, most of the other areas of the gamut are what they are since the LG CMS does not work to well. Therefore what little adjustment he does to color/tint is to improve skin tones as shown by the color checker. In non HDR mode its all about perfecting grayscale and gamma, and in HDR mode you set gamma, tweak grayscale a bit and hope for the best.

Setting brightness was a chore. As posted here he use the 2pt low IIRC, and would get 16 black, 17 just showing and the ramp up from there would look GREAT so it came out of black nicely. As soon as he did anything to cal grayscale, he had to go back and fix that again. But I could see why these have black issues stock if you dont crush 1%. 16 is kinda lit, 17 is gone and then 18 and up arent great. So with 16 lit you are showing data you should not see, and with 17 gone you now have a jump of missing data to 18. There were also times 19 was brighter than 18, pretty crazy. Once he was done, it was perfectly smooth from 17 up, and I can see it in the image that I am not crushing anymore and the black detail isn't wonky or miscolored either.

Charts from ISF1 normal mode
Grayscale
ISF1%20Grayscale_zpsjloog1u4.png

Color Temp
ISF%201%20Color%20Temp_zpsu24rxk1i.png

Gamma (as found is stock 2.2 mode)
ISF1%20Gamma_zpskfny5td2.png

Gamut
ISF1%20Gamut_zpsxnz63aqz.png

Color Checker
ISF%201%20Color%20Checker_zpsxfkwzbne.png

Reactions: madmadworld
Nice write up.
I imagine tv manufacturers will be able to implement different HDR profiles via firmware updates as they will be getting information from people like Chad.
Did Chad say if he had worked on any Dolby Vision sets and how much it differs from HDR10?

He has not, this was actually hist first HDR cal because he just got the generator. I know Spectracal is working hard on it too, it'll come around, it is just in the infancy right now.

Here is some HDR charting

Grayscale - Huge hump in middle and he ended up using delta uv to guide him here
ISF2%20Grasycale_zpsbainkryw.png

ISF2%20deltaE_zpsmyohtiqb.png

Gamut - This is Standard. Wide does expand the outer points out slightly, but the color error goes up a few dE's. The dE on this one is 6.45. Also note Magenta and Cyan, their outer points are like curve balls lol.
ISF2%20Gamut_zpsvwzbmngo.png

IMO, at least from what we saw, you can get brightness set pretty well, grayscale improved, and set gamma in HDR mode pretty well. Contrast and OLED light are gonna max no matter what. Color kinda is what it is, and with Standard it has less error but is not as vivid as Wide (pick your poison). It's not close to the worst result as I have seen from a 2D HDTV display in the last 7-8 years, but it isn't perfect either. Once again, mimics the early days of 3D and us early adopters watched those movies with joy without anyone taking away our movie rights.

I imagine as the months go on Chad and other calibrators will learn tricks to get this mode even better on the 2015's, but it will have its limits.

Well, so far, details are much better since I dont have black crush anymore (issue only fixed on this one with a grayscale cal). Its funny how I had gotten used to losing some detail, and it is obvious it needed a grayscale and gamma cal, the image looks even more natural than it did before. Watched a lot of stuff like Walking Dead, Bones, NCIS, etc... and very pleased.

And as stated elsewhere, The Revenant in the UHD/HDR mode was probably the greatest thing I have ever seen from a flat panel.

Seems like the 12016 models have the same off point color gamut in HDR mode like mine.

I think this is going to be hit and miss for a few years. You have a few options, and granted many folks won't care, if you want the most accurate image:

• Cal an SDR mode and just watch Blu-ray as normal. Mine is highly accurate in that case
  • Cal and SDR mode and watch blu-ray with the Samsung 8500 player. I would prefer this idea because I think it does an excellent job with both 2D 1080p scaled to 2160p, and 3D 1080p. It also has excellent 2160p PQ on Netflix and Amazon looks good too. Currently it is a better streamer on those too than the Roku 4 IMO.

Chad B came by last night to touch mine up and do the 3D mode.

• My standard mode had over 700 hours on it since his last visit and had drifted very little, nice change from plasma and I am sure you could double that before a re-cal
  • 3D mode calibrates spot on too, can't wait and kicking myself for not getting the 3D cal the first time. I did think stock 3D mode looked a little red, and his as found charts said the same
  • In HDR/WCG mode, unfortunately there is not much you can do here cal wise, and the 16's improved but not where they need to be. Seeing the grayscale and color results, I am just going to run UHD discs in the Panny and let it strip HDR to SDR so I can still benefit from the resolution and maintain accuracy.

Jungle Book 3D this weekend!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts