Anyone using Vulkano DVR?

janthenat

Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Northern Illinois
I'm considering SkyAngel tv service and was wondering who is using one of the Vulkano products for DVR. Interested in the Blast model because of the included drive for recording. Anybody using one of these care to make a comment on functionality?

Thanks.

I'm considering SkyAngel tv service and was wondering who is using one of the Vulkano products for DVR. Interested in the Blast model because of the included drive for recording. Anybody using one of these care to make a comment on functionality?

Thanks.

I am using the Vulcano Blast model and it is quite an asset. I bought mine at a Micro Center for just over $200 and of course since I bought it it's been on sale for under $200 :p Anyway, I would warn anyone that if you don't already have an LCD/LED HDTV (widescreen) which I don't yet, then reading the screen when setting up a program is rather tricky because of the screen size as well as the size of the print/font. Also beware that what is referred to as the EPG (think it stands for Electronic Program Guide) is set to the new FAVE TV line up from Zap2it.com and therefore it can't be used for recording unless your STB has already had the software upgraded. Because of my lack of STB upgrade I'm also still getting buffering issues and therefore stopping as well...rather frustrating. The Vulcano box though has been mostly great. It allows me to record both on the internal hard drive as well as allowing me to record again on my DVD recorder. I'm actually able to setup a recording from my android phone while away from home (watch out for that data usage though!) as well as monitoring the streaming from either my phone or laptop on the wifi at home, which is sweet :) I have discovered that you definitely don't want to leave the Vulcano box in the menu mode because it will at some point will go into screen saver mode and feed that signal to any source that might be recording which is obviously not desirable. I think I've covered most everything. Oh, wait I do recall that I had to contact Vulcano support and have them email me a file so that I could successfully setup the Vulcano app. on my laptop otherwise I couldn't find the model I believe, but Vulcano support has been very cooperative. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Just got my FAVE upgrade yesterday. Picture is fantastic! I called them and they said they are doing the upgrades in
batches every day, so you should get yours soon.

The Vulkano Blast seems to be out of stock in many of the online stores. I found it for 198.99 plus 4.99 S&H at Cost Captain. I just placed an order. I hope it's worth it. I was frustrated to get the new STB only to discover my DVD Recorder no longer worked with it.

@rjc3895 - your PM box is full so I can't respond to your message. However, just the same....
Volcano Tech support is actually quite responsive. I've gotten right through each time I've called them.

How does the vulcano compare to the sling adapter and trying to access it from Dish Online or the app?

Is the Vulcano that much better?

I have used both and am currently using a Vulkano. IMO, they are comparable (talking about the stand alones, not the adapter). The price difference puts the Vulkano on top IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)