Apple's iOS 10 update is bricking iPhones

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Backed up both of our iPhones before the update.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I was unlucky enough to get the download that caused my iphone 6S plus fail the update.in they way that people are calling 'bricked'. I started the ios 10 update while at work less than 30 seconds after it was released. It downloaded. The phone rebooted, Displayed the firmware update screen (slow line moving across the screen under the apple logo), rebooted again and was at the "Plug me into iTunes" graphic with picture of a lightning cable pointing towards the iTunes logo. Shutting off, rebooting, etc all brought the phone back to the plug me into iTune graphic. The phone was eventually recoverable, so it wasn't technically 'bricked' as a lot of news stores are implying. However, since I was at work, it was a 'brick' to me until I was home and able to plug it into iTunes. I had made a backup from the night before, but it wasn't needed. iTunes downloaded ios9 from apple, and re-flashed the phone with ios9. The phone rebooted, and came to life with no need for a restore. Even the screen shot photos I made at work during the original ios10 download were available in the camera roll. I then let the phone re-download the OTA ios10 update, and it updated fine this time.

Discovered this weekend that this is the beginning of the end for my wife's iPad3. No 10 for her.

That, with add ins, cost me about a thou. Not sure I'd do that again. I'm hoping for many more years of use. But the cell data part already died. What's next?

Hopefully my 2 year old Air 2 will last several more years.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Discovered this weekend that this is the beginning of the end for my wife's iPad3. No 10 for her.

That, with add ins, cost me about a thou. Not sure I'd do that again. I'm hoping for many more years of use. But the cell data part already died. What's next?
My Father-in-Law has been using his iPad 3 (aka, iPad with Retina Display) on a daily basis for the last five years. He has been complaining that the battery no longer lasts 8-9 hours, but he maybe gets 3-4 hours before he needs to plug it into the charger. I told him it's time for a new iPad, but just for grins, I checked the iFixit.com site on how to repair the iPad 3's battery. Needless to say, it involves a microwave, a gel pack (heats in the microwave and softens the glue) and a lot of guitar picks (to hold the screen away from the case while the glue cools). I looked like once you got the screen off, installing the battery was fairly easy Now, getting the iPad back together so it didn't look like a third-grader's art project, I wasn't sure it could be done.

He did find someone who quoted him $150 for the repair, but I said he would be better off putting the $150 toward a refurbished iPad Air or Air 2 from Apple's Refurb Store. He might even be able to get money from Gazelle or one of the other Apple buy-back sites. Currently $40 for his Wi-Fi iPad 3 with 16 GB in Good condition which is better than nothing. Surprisingly, even the 64 GB Cellular iPad 3 is only worth $75 in Good condition.

I upgraded the night of release, and used iTunes to boot. I've never had an issue with the iTunes download, and it seems the people ending up with upgrade woes are doing the over-the-air updates.

The change in unlocking the screen threw off my Mother-in-Law and her iPad Air. She wasn't getting the timing down right. She has a Smart Cover on her iPad, and now it just shows the Power On screen, a little lock icon in the top, and the "Press home to unlock" above the Home button. When she swiped left, she got the Widgets page. I pointed her to iMore.com and their iOS 10 Hints and What you Need to Know.

Just updated my 6+ to iOS10. So far it is working fine but seems a little sluggish. Anyone else notice this?

I had to do the update to 10 so I can update my watch to wOS3.

Just updated my 6+ to iOS10. So far it is working fine but seems a little sluggish. Anyone else notice this?

I had to do the update to 10 so I can update my watch to wOS3.

I thought my 6 seemed more snappy after upgrading to iOS 10. They have dialed back some of the animations. Can definitely tell the 7 is faster.

Double checked after my wOS3 was downloaded and the 6+ returned to normal again. Had be worried a bit so I appreciate your observation. Hard to tell but it might actually be a little faster, like you observed.

I'm doing the update to iOS10 now on my wife's new iphone SE ( which is supposed to be a 6s electronics) Tried to do it earlier but it takes so long that I got yelled at for tying up her phone. Told her to imagine it is 20 years ago before she had a cell phone. That didn't go over too well so here I am at 2AM doing the update to her phone and watch. :(

Reactions: wa6rht and navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)