Apple’s working on a high-definition video network?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

storageset

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000067037301/

I found this article at the site listed above. Draw your own conclusions.

"Is Apple planning a high-definition video network? We definitely cannot attest to the reliability of Mac OS Rumors as a, um, rumor site, but they’re reporting that Apple is working on some sort of high-definition satellite TV network. Yep, we thought exactly the same thing: Voom 2? Despite the spectacular meltdown of that earlier high-def satellite network (which isn’t actually mentioned anywhere in the piece), Mac OS Rumors claims that the rationale behind this major move is that Apple, “is eager to get a piece of the larger multimedia content pie but doesn’t want to go directly head-to-head with services like Blockbuster’s new flat-fee unlimited internet rental system.” Supposedly you’ll also be able to get your high-def content online and at Apple Stores, but it gets better:"

Apple is truly a innovative company. If any company can build an HD home network without sacrificing quality it is Apple. How awesome would it be to have Voom/Apple STB/DVR? :D + PixarHD channel for added bonus :cool: .

The rumor that started a few weeks ago was that Apple is considering buying Tivo. No comment from either company.

txdude said:
Apple is truly a innovative company. If any company can build an HD home network without sacrificing quality it is Apple. How awesome would it be to have Voom/Apple STB/DVR? :D + PixarHD channel for added bonus :cool: .

Can you imagine Voom/Apple? The hippest of the hip in design and service. A whole house network linked through your Airport Extreme-Extreme. Accessing iMovies-HD and iPhotos Voom programming with Apple PPV on demand. The branding and bundling is boggling.

But what a great idea to ponder in these uncertain times.

I think a Voom/Apple deal would be sweet! I am not going to hold my breath for it, but it would be sweet!

The HDTV of the future is through Optical Fibers which have been installed in most new homes for phone lines. Just a matter of someone capitalizing on it. No need for Satlelites. Wonder if Charles Dolan has considered this for VOOM?

Tvlman said:
The HDTV of the future is through Optical Fibers which have been installed in most new homes for phone lines. Just a matter of someone capitalizing on it. No need for Satlelites. Wonder if Charles Dolan has considered this for VOOM?

That practice has all but ended out here. CAT5 is by far the choice for new construction.

Sorry...but I don't agree with that one...unless you're talking about in the VERY DISTANT future.

The cost of running fiber to households in most rural areas in prohibitive, especially given that cable companies are still very much a monopoly.

I do think that shipping little pieces of plastic back and forth to Netflix is a pretty outmoded model. I think that what we'll see before we see fiber is a way to download movies to our mediacenter and then distribute them throughout the house as we choose. The basics are all there right now...

Lob

Oh, please don't knock NetFlix. They're the best thing that's ever happened to rental. I was a customer of there's back in 1998 when you couldn't get DVDs at Blockbuster et al. And since they were the innovator, that's why I've stuck with them.

If Apple can bring it on in the delivery of HD, either by partnering with an existing sat company or doing their own thing, it will be their focus on the user experience and penchant for transformative technology application (i.e. innovation) that will make me jump on board. Everyone else seems content to build lots of cheap boxes that make you adapt to how they work.

Robert Cringely had an interesting column back in January speculating on what Apple might have planned for the Mac Mini. He sees it being perfectly positioned for use as an HDTV movies over broadband device - that will be available much sooner than consumer blu-ray/hd-dvd devices. Here's a short excerpt:

"Now about that HD video content, Jobs was careful in his speech to point out more than once that there are two competing standards for High Definition DVDs -- Blu-Ray and HD-DVD -- but that H.264 is a constant on both systems. With movie studios divided between the two standards, this promises to be another VHS versus Betamax competition which means it will take two to three years for one standard to dominate, and in that interim devices will cost more than they ought to and will be coming later to market. Enter Apple and the Mac Mini, supporting every part of HD except a DVD standard, because one isn't needed. The Mini will download its HD video over broadband Internet connections so no optical component is required. The result is that Apple once again gets to market early and has a chance to become the de facto standard, just like iTunes did. Blockbuster can't compete with Apple until there are HD DVDs, and even digital cable doesn't have enough channel capacity to offer as many pay-per-view HD movies as Apple will be able to offer on the first day of service."

The full article is here...

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050120.html

Dan

Apple buys Voom and TIVO then builds the ultimate in Hi-def home entertainment - damn that would have everyone in this forum taking a cold shower.

Rumors are fun. I am a big Apple fan so I would love to see Apple take Voom and Tivo under its wings and creat something truly awesome.

Lobstah said:
Sorry...but I don't agree with that one...unless you're talking about in the VERY DISTANT future.

The cost of running fiber to households in most rural areas in prohibitive, especially given that cable companies are still very much a monopoly.

A friend is subcontracted by Verizon, they have plans to have "fiber to your door" within 3 years. Its not that far off. Its already available overseas :( I'd like to have a 10Mbit internet connection too :mad:

That's my point. What level of potential market saturation do you think they'll have with fiber in 3yrs?...5yrs?...

That's a long ways off. Someone comes up with a little bit better compression scheme, and a more efficient "store and forward" mechanism, and the technology changes.

What we have available right now is severely limited by the lack of competition in the cable space.

Lob

So.Cal.Mac.man newby

socalpanman said:
Can you say iVoom?
Was surprised when Voom left out us Mac people with their CDrom and the eBoard.

their CDrom ?

and

the eBoard?

i'm interested; but search of voom not pulling up eBoard.

thanks,

mike

I just talked to a guy on a Verizon cherry picker accross the street from my house. They's installing fiber now. He says it should be available in about a month. From their web site: (http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome/).

We've never even had DSL available in my neighborhood (Crownsville, MD).

5mb down / 2mb up - $ 40/month
15mb down / 2mb up - $ 50/month
30mb down / 5mb up - $200/month

Sign me up for Voom over fiber and get rid of the dish (and the marriage stress it causes).

I just talked to a Verizon guy outside my house (in the the boondocks - Crownsville, MD) and they?re wiring fiber. He says FIOS should be
available in about a month. We've never even had DSL as an option.

http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome/

5mb down / 2mb up - $ 40/month
15mb down / 2mb up - $ 50/month
30mb down / 5mb up - $200/month

Sign me up for Voom over fiber!

Speaking of Apple... I noticed last night when flipping through channels that during the NCAA Illinois vs Wisconsin-Milwaukee game on CBS, Apple had its Ipod Shuffle commercial in HD! :cool: This is very cool! I don't think I've ever noticed any other HD commercials before. Apple certainly is showing its commitment to HD.

txdude said:

C'mon... please. I'm sick and tired of this Apple-crap and apparently everybody bought this.
Don't buy this - check out the facts as I did.

There was not ONE SINGLE INVENTION FROM APPLE EXCEPT FIREWIRE. Period.

Nothing has been used by Apple first except Firewire. I'm tired of rebuking Apple's fake perception, created by their marketing crap.
I heard all fo these and no, they are not true at all: no DVD-writer, no LCD, nothing has been introduced by Apple first - these are all urban legends.

Besides this Apple is very-very-very little guy to really influence a market like this unless Apple wants to build an iTunes-like HD service.

Anything other than such internet-based service is way out of reach for Apple, both in terms of financials or technology.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts