AT&T To Buy DIRECTV for $67 Billion

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Likely a long term goal but I'm sure some nuances in contracts and negotiations will ensure they never 100% line up.

I would speculate they will quickly align them to DIRECTV's. DIRECTV has far more customers, therefore they would have far better discounts on the channels. AT&T has huge financial incentives to get them all on one contract for maximum buying power.

I know that this has been asked before(& probably by me),but I wonder if both Directv & U-Verse TV will work on having a common line-up? I know that separate TV contracts are in play,but is there a way to overcome that,because it would be pretty inconvenient for one company to have 2 separate contracts for 1 TV service(that you can get either by satellite or through fiber optics with U-Verse). One possible setback would be the number of new HD channels that Directv would have to pick up from U-Verse through commonality,but can't due to present limited satellite space.
I'm expecting the 2 companies to continue to run as separate entities.
They may start to share ideas, but I don't see a Channel change for either of them other than potentially adding channels when the new Sat is up and operational.

I'm expecting the 2 companies to continue to run as separate entities.
They may start to share ideas, but I don't see a Channel change for either of them other than potentially adding channels when the new Sat is up and operational.
Maybe short term,but in the long term I can see them merging line-ups to achieve commonality,as soon as they allow present broadcasting contracts expire for each service. You can be sure that NFL Sunday Ticket will end up on both Directv & U-Verse.

my brother has directv do you think eventually that every channel will be added in directv in HD once the merger goes through?just asking.

my brother has directv do you think eventually that every channel will be added in directv in HD once the merger goes through?just asking.

Eventually - but it will have nothing to do with the merger. All providers have some SD channels that are available in HD. Directv just seems to have a lot of SD that some providers have in HD, although Comcast locally has FAR fewer HD channels than we do. When the new satellite launches in the next few months-ish, and after it's tested, etc - it is reasonable to expect to see more HD channels added to Directv. In (insert unknown number here) years, everything will be available in HD since SD channels will have no use. I hope that SD content (classic MeTV-type stuff) doesn't go away.

As long as both company's keep as seperate service, than i'm fine with that
But if AT&T mingles with price and receivers then i'm gone, But it would be nice if both combine channels that one have that the other doesn't, especially HD channels or Pac-12 if AT&T carries it. But keep it as Directv Channel numbers if that's even possible.

As long as both company's keep as seperate service, than i'm fine with that
But if AT&T mingles with price and receivers then i'm gone, But it would be nice if both combine channels that one have that the other doesn't, especially HD channels or Pac-12 if AT&T carries it. But keep it as Directv Channel numbers if that's even possible.
When the transition is done, the company will be AT&T; which MO the TV aspect follows is anybody's guess. I would expect harmonizing of channels, channel numbering and, to a large extent, monthly pricing.

The FCC announces it will pause its review of the proposed Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCSA) - Time Warner Cable (NYSE:TWC) and DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) - AT&T (NYSE:TThe delay is due in part to bickering over who has the right to see confidential carriage fee agreements involving the companies.The agency says the informal 180-day time clock for the review has been halted.

What the heck is a confidential carriage fee agreements?

I know this may have been asked, but when this goes through, and say after a few years, will AT&T get rid of DirecTV as a provider? So say it is only U-Verse, and no Satellite no more.

I'm asking cause I live in a crappy town, which clearly gets a kickback from Time Warner, as they won't allow Verizon FiOS in the area, saying the people don't want it, when we were never given a choice, or a vote. So if AT&T eliminates DirecTV as a provider, who's to say my town or others will veto AT&T in the area?

I don't even live in a gated community, normal run down town, which the mayor, and everyone think is a great place to live, which isn't true, as there is a lot of vandalizing, etc...

I'm just worried in 3-8 years the town will say you can have Time Warner/Comcast(Whatever they decide in their merger) or nothing, which I would definitely call against our rights. Can a town do such a thing? It pisses me off, cause I want FiOS, and not TWC.

Anyway, sorry for the long question, I just don't want ton end up screwed in the end.

I know this may have been asked, but when this goes through, and say after a few years, will AT&T get rid of DirecTV as a provider? So say it is only U-Verse, and no Satellite no more.
The whole TV part of the offering would become DIRECTV at some point. It seems unlikely that they will do away with the satellite component in the next ten years unless something fantastic happens with IPTV.

How that pencils out for you and your city leaders is anybody's guess but the way that DIRECTV is minting money versus the U-verse business model, I think they'll lean towards the insanely profitable DIRECTV model.

I called AT&T about a cell phone charge and the customer service rep asked me about my tv provider before hanging up. She was trying to push U-verse onto me and I told her I was happy with Directv. The rep went off on Directv saying they were not truthful with their ads and downright deceitful. I said aren't you one happy family since AT&T is in the process of buying Directv and the rep flat said NO! Don't quite get it but I told the wife that if the merger goes through look for something big to happen to Directv prices. Meaning, AT&T will raise Directv prices to get people to switch to U-verse. Why? I don't know.

The rep went off on Directv saying they were not truthful with their ads and downright deceitful. I said aren't you one happy family since AT&T is in the process of buying Directv and the rep flat said NO!
These reps get bonuses if you switch. They'll say whatever it takes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)