ATSC frequencies

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It si definitely low power/ But i still can't find anything so i think I was mistaken.

IMHO they should just not assign any ATSC channels to VHF-Low. Just too many issues with trying to get good reception down there.

I think NTSC is more tolerant because you'll just get a degraded signal, and perhaps because NTSC stations might be allowed greater transmitting power. I do know that originally there was a channel one, but it was done away with due to performance issues.

Actually I have heard tht the reaon some want channel 2 is that it supposedly can be received better with low power. I never understood why this would be.

IIRC the lower the frequency the less power needed for the same coverage area. For NTSC channels 2-6 max out at 100Kw ERP, 7-13 at 315Kw ERP and UHF 1Mw ERP. So stations, to save on the electric bill, like the lower frequencies.

Frequencies

Does someone have the actual frequencies being used for a specific digital channel? My OTA decoder is being a jerk and will not auto load so I'm going to put them in manually but cant find a list of the actual frequencies.

I need to convert from from channels 2-82 analog to the digital equivelent.
Thanks

Does someone have the actual frequencies being used for a specific digital channel? My OTA decoder is being a jerk and will not auto load so I'm going to put them in manually but cant find a list of the actual frequencies.
Check that AntennaWeb site listed above by 'rad' for the frequencies.

Just remember that if you're not scanning for channels, and are tuning them in manually, on your initial tuning you need to tune one higher than what's listed.

e.g., If the channel you want to tune to is listed as 31.1, then you need to manually tune to 32.1 the first time. After this initial tuning to 32.1 you will be able to access that channel on either 31.1 or 32.1

Most people scan for their channels, and this "tune one higher the first time" is not well known, because the scan takes care of that for you by scanning all channels.

frequencies not channels

Thanks guys but the scan portion is inop for what ever reason. I can however plug in frequencies (not channel number or the 8.1 8.2 etc) I have found no list of the actual frequencies. By scanning I have indicated my local NBC affiliate WTHR channel 13 is @ 665Mhz for the HDTV signal. (the receiver read out not an analyzer) That puts it in between what would be channels 44 and 45 in the now analog UHF TV band. It makes sense that this would be the same across the county but we are talking about the FCC. If anyone can confirm the frequencies vs channel are always the same or does the receiver get updated local freq info during the "scan" from the acutual transmission? Did not mean to hijack the thread.

It appears during the scan, the receiver (Coolsat 8100) is being overloaded by my gigantic RS outdoor antenna. After attaching only a piece of coax got one additional station I did not have before. But I have 15 so to program....

Last edited:
Actually I have heard tht the reaon some want channel 2 is that it supposedly can be received better with low power. I never understood why this would be.

It's easy. Lower frequencies require larger antennas. Larger antennas intercept more signal. If more signal is intercepted by your antenna the station doesn't need to transmit as much power to cover a given area.

It's easy. Lower frequencies require larger antennas. Larger antennas intercept more signal. If more signal is intercepted by your antenna the station doesn't need to transmit as much power to cover a given area.

Lower frequencies have longer wave length, so half-wave harmonic to pick up the frequency requires a longer element.

It has nothing to do with larger antenna gathering more signal, it's all about matching the element size to the wave length.

Lower frequencies also bend over objects (like the horizon, mountains, etc.) better than do higher frequencies. Therefore, lower wave lengths travel further and can be more of an interference problem.

By scanning I have indicated my local NBC affiliate WTHR channel 13 is @ 665Mhz for the HDTV signal. (the receiver read out not an analyzer) That puts it in between what would be channels 44 and 45 in the now analog UHF TV band.

662-668MHz is channel 46 for both NTSC and ATSC broadcasts - there is no frequency difference between the two.

Each ATSC/NTSC channel has a 6MHz band within which it oscillates.

Standard NTSC Television Frequencies

It has nothing to do with larger antenna gathering more signal, it's all about matching the element size to the wave length.

Actually, both are true. A half wave dipole has a greater capture area on a lower frequency than a higher frequency, even though the gain in db is the same.

Lower frequencies have longer wave length, so half-wave harmonic to pick up the frequency requires a longer element.

BS. It has everything to do with exactly what I said.

Tower Guy's statement is exactly correct.

I had read that Ch 49 intends to move to Channel 2 and I believe that there ere threads about it at the time. But since I cannot find a reference or that earlier thread I will retract my statement due to lack of proof. I must be wrong.

I am now pretty much convinced that I was thinking of Ch.49 a low powered station now carrying WUFO TV. their website says that they will be move to "an as yet unassigned" digital channel So clearly my memory is going. I guess that when you get to age 178 that happens.

Hee is their website About

i get a signal there but it is not all that great.

Interesting. I don't get it, but I haven't checked all my tuners. I'm surprised they exist, right next to channel 50 (which I do get).

I am not sure where youa re. It is low powered. BTW you a re not misising much. coverage of sci fi conventions, public domain sci fi and fantasy programming.

But I see nothing that says they want Ch 2----and some info that says they have not made an election. So I was tripping on that one.

I'm across Braddock from GMU. I guess I won't bother checking my other tuners now. Thanks.

YOu ae not all taht far from me. I am in Sleepy hollow. my oldest son went to Mason FWIW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)