Backup your TT key!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

markth

Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I had to reinstall TT on a system I rebuilt today and discovered I couldn't activate the software. Then I stumbled upon these fourms and read about the demise of the company. Greaaat. This is why I hate "phone home" registrations--what a pain.

Long story short, I still had a backup of my corrupt OS (would run, but with tons of error) so I poked around in the system registry and found my TT key and activation code tucked away in there. I was able to use this key to activate v3.4 but the v1.4 and 1.6 Recast versions said the key was valid but outdated or something along those lines. Fine by me... v3.4 will keep me happy.

I'd strongly suggest you folks with working instances Export the registry key for your registered copy for future saftey in the event you need to reinstall your computer or something.

Run the registry editor (Start | Run | regedit ) and find the top branch of the NeroSoft key. Highlight it and then File | Export (type in a name like timetrax.reg or something) and save it to disk.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NeroSoft]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NeroSoft\TimeTrax]

If, at some point, you need to reinstall the software you can simply double-click on this exported file and it will reload your registration for you. Then, install the software (not before). This works, as far as I can tell, up to v3.4.

Could you clarify something? You say you couldn't activate the software. Is this because you lost your key and couldn't get to their site to retrieve it or did the software refuse to recognize the activation key you had in your possession?

I'm wondering if, in the second case, the authorization servers disappeared the day the website completely disappeared.

Thanks for letting us know.

pretzelboy said:
Could you clarify something? You say you couldn't activate the software. Is this because you lost your key and couldn't get to their site to retrieve it or did the software refuse to recognize the activation key you had in your possession?

I'm wondering if, in the second case, the authorization servers disappeared the day the website completely disappeared.

Thanks for letting us know.

I had the original key they sent me when I purchased the software. The software attempted to activate with the supplied key but there was no response from the activation server (it appears to be gone). It says the key is valid but that's the end of the line it seems.

TestingTheTester said:
Oddly enough, I did not locate my RegKeys in that location....

Yep, that's not where mine are at. Here's my location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Time Trax Technologies>TimeTrax

There's five entries in that location containing the version number, validation, registration and versionvalidation.

I have Recast and non-Recast versions installed.

pretzelboy said:
Yep, that's not where mine are at. Here's my location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Time Trax Technologies>TimeTrax

There's five entries in that location containing the version number, validation, registration and versionvalidation.

I have Recast and non-Recast versions installed.

The first version I purchased was 1.0 so it looks like they changed the key and location a bit. This key location was not on my system.

Same applies though. :)

FOLLOW UP.

I was just able to do this:

EXPORT ALL KEYS that even mention TimeTrax in them from a registry of a machine that was already registered online.

FORMAT MACHINE -> Install XP Pro -> Install TT 3.2 (the most stable for me) -> Run TT 3.2. Exit TT 3.2. Merge ALL REG entries. Re-Start 3.2.

ALL IS WELL AND REGISTERED.

NOTE: I did not check to see if it checked their servers for the authenticcation. I will have to see what happens with that another time.

Just figured I'd let you know.

Also - NOTE # 2 - the keys were pulled from a machine, that originally had TT Recast 1.8 on it and authenticated - THEN installed 3.2 which made it authenticated. Then exported the keys.

I hope this helps. All I did was search the registry for TT and export the entire key.

GOOD LUCK !

For those who lost their hard drives, would the exported TimeTrax key from another user be of any use if these folks who are having difficulties reauthorizing their software?

Nope. The key is authorized to the ID of the radio. It isn't going to do anyone any good without the radio the software was authorized for. The software reads the radio's ID when the radio turns on.

So, in short, when your radio dies even the original registrant of the software will be out of luck since we can't ever buy another license again. The only thing you'll be able to use is Recast Online.

Last edited:
How about in my case where my key is valid for my radio but I don't have the registry info ? Would it be possible to import someone else's info and edit it with my radios key ? :confused:

And what are you planning to edit? It's not a plain text people-understandable key. The string has been generated by TT to make a match between the authorization key, the registration key and the Radio ID. So, unless you know how to generate that string for yourself (and many people would become your best buddy for that) you have no idea what to type to make it match.

Keep in mind that the registration server's job was to take that Radio ID and Registration Key and decide if the two match. People are now saying the registration authentication server is no longer providing that response. So, you'd have to write a utility to give the proper response to the software. Again, we don't know what that combination makes so we don't know how to respond.

This is like having a hardware security dongle (the radio ID) that get's matched with a key. We don't have all the pieces to make up for the missing information. And, as soon as you change that security dongle (the radio) the software knows it doesn't belong to it.

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion - you have to at least have a system that once registered with the centralized servers for authentication - then after that - it seems like its not required.

More Info:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\Time Trax Technologies\TimeTrax]
"TimeTraxKey"="AA11-BB22-CC33-DD44-EE55"
"TimeTraxVal"="32 digit HEX-Key"

Because of ReCast:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Time Trax Technologies\TimeTrax]
"SoftwareValidation"="79 Digit HEX Key"
"TimeTraxKey"="AA11-BB22-CC33-DD44-EE55"
"TimeTraxVal"="32 digit HEX-Key"
"TimeTraxVer"="001.008.000"
"TimeTraxVerVal"="38 HEX Key"

All the other parts of the keys are just settings...

i just activated timetrax 3.2

some time ago i tried to install timetrax 3.4 on a new computer using my original serial number...it didn't work...after i read this thread in went to tt website and downloaded 3.2...i just activated it sucessfully with my original ser # and recorded a few song just to check it out...i didn't need to go into registry and export data and all that...i suspect that tt has reinstituted whatever they used to do to activate their software

Thank you for posting. It wasn't clear whether the previously posted failures were due to a lack of an operating authentication server or user error. I guess you cleared that up.

Need Help Resurrecting My TT

Greetings,

I'm hoping that somebody can help me make some heads or tails out of all that is going on with TT . . . My Windows box died about 6 months ago, so I just started using my XM PCR with MacXM and Audio Hijack Pro on my Mac.

I got a new XP box and went to re-install Timetrax and noted that I couldn't find my serial number. So when I went to the TT website to have them resend my numbers, I went into complete shock when I saw that the site had transformed into vapor.

Can anybody help me to get my TT back up and working in the Windows environment ??? I would truly appreciate it and gladly compensate anyone that can help me get back and functional . . . this is a horrible blow to lots of music lovers. I'm horrified that such a wonderful technology would be assaulted . . . possibly killed by The Man ? ! ? !

Please help . . . Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)