Best damn OTA antenna array, period. At any price. Which one?

kcoriginal

Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Ok, so the Title says it all. It's a bit of yellow journalism, I know... and it's kinda a take-off of that sports show with a similar name... :)

I am looking for the current opinion of what is absolutely the best damn antenna period.

Now, I am not rich... but considering how much a switch from subscription programming to Free OTA will $ave our family... I wanna know what's the BEST of the best....

thx, in advance!

kc in SATX

well it depends on what you are trying to pick up

Now me here in Minneapolis that antenna posted above is not needed. All our stations are 29 miles away and really no other stations available.

Now if you're say 50 miles away then it would be better

best option is to post your tvfool report

TV Fool

Ok, so the Title says it all. It's a bit of yellow journalism, I know... and it's kinda a take-off of that sports show with a similar name... :)

I am looking for the current opinion of what is absolutely the best damn antenna period.

Now, I am not rich... but considering how much a switch from subscription programming to Free OTA will $ave our family... I wanna know what's the BEST of the best....

thx, in advance!

kc in SATX
There is no single answer to your question, it all depends on your circumstances and desires for programming. Follow Ices advice and post your zipcode or the actual TVfool report.

TV Fool

Thx for the help so far guys!

Also, though... I would plan to take this rig with me when we move WAAAY the fudge out to nowhere in about 5 years... so... I guess... advice for now, but know that I will also still want need the best damn antenna period...

approximate TV Fool report for the area where I plan to move...

TV Fool

thx for the help!

kc

TV Fool

Thx for the help so far guys!

Also, though... I would plan to take this rig with me when we move WAAAY the fudge out to nowhere in about 5 years... so... I guess... advice for now, but know that I will also still want need the best damn antenna period...

approximate TV Fool report for the area where I plan to move...

TV Fool

thx for the help!

kc
Neither of your location require fringe area antennas, both really can do with minimal antennas. San Antonio could get buy with rabbit ears in the attic. Your WAAAY out is 20 miles from the broadcasters, with LOS so most major broadcasters will be available.

I am also fond of antennaweb.org.

They give good antenna guidance. Try running your address or even just zip code thru them. I'd love to see a post of their results for you, for comparison.

The antenna shown is fine,but it picks up low band vhf which is not needed(ch 2-6)Also fm..No tv on that band anymore since digital took effect.
Channels start at 7 and go up,so you only need a high band vhf and uhf antenna.
But this is one of the best designs for it's time ever offered.It was when channel master ruled.

The antenna shown is fine,but it picks up low band vhf which is not needed(ch 2-6)Also fm..No tv on that band anymore since digital took effect.
Channels start at 7 and go up,so you only need a high band vhf and uhf antenna.
But this is one of the best designs for it's time ever offered.It was when channel master ruled.

I assume you mean there is no low VHF where YOU live. There are still some low VHF stations in use across the country. See Wiki. The proposal to drop the low VHF band was defeated. I think most of Europe has dropped all VHF for TV purposes.

In the early HD conversion days UHF did better for the signal since VHF has a lot more multipathing issues. VHF of course takes less power for the same distance, so stations like it since it saves on the electric bill. The VHF low band would be valuable for cell service since it penetrates buildings easier.

My understanding from reading was they got rid of the low band.
Apparently not in some regions,and yes in others.
The channel 2 in Baton Rouge here actually comes in from a channel 13 frequency.Channel 3 in Lafayette is broadcasted on 28
We get nothing in south Louisiana that's broadcasted lower than channel 7.
Some channels use the same allocated frequencies like 10 on 10 ,33 on 33 etc,but only a few

they didnt get rid of low band...see my post above of stations still on 2-6

While it isnt the best option to go low band VHF some stations figured it was easier than dealing with the tower on a different channel

Yes,I checked the thread out,but it lists no channels in Louisiana,Texas or Mississippi.
It would be great in the central states to keep the old giant antenna for full blown vhf if thats what it takes.
Seems alot of people want you to think the low band is gone.Many "new" antenna designs are for vhf high and up.

The channel 2 in Baton Rouge here actually comes in from a channel 13 frequency.Channel 3 in Lafayette is broadcasted on 28
We get nothing in south Louisiana that's broadcasted lower than channel 7.
Some channels use the same allocated frequencies like 10 on 10 ,33 on 33 etc,but only a few
alot of the VHF Hi (7-13) stations went back to their analog number after the conversion. Here in Minneapolis 9 & 11 (Fox & NBC) went back as did the CBS in a neighboring market (12).
Our 3 low VHF stations (2,4,5) stayed on their original digital station (34,32,35) as those are PBS, CBS, ABC

There are some weird ones too. Channel 23 (analog) used 22 for digital. They still use it
But the 2nd PBS station moved their station from 16 digital to 23 digital (maps as 2-3)

But in some areas it must have been easier for the station (also $$ wise cheaper) to stay on the analog # but be digital. And the stations that went on after the digital numbering cutoff had to just flash cut to digital on the station they were on.

KCWX real channel 5, FREDERICKSBURG, TX .

Do you want to try that again?

Low band VHF does not penetrate buildings very well.

I thought VHF penetrated better than UHF. Difference in lower/upper or do I have that backwards? Did Europe turn over VHF to cell phones?

VHF, being a lower frequency bends over the horizon much easier than UHF, but building penetration it is not as good at as UHF.

My vote for the BEST antenna is the Finco 400-A.

It hasn't been made for probably 50 years, but we had two of them at Carlsbad, New Mexico and were able to regularly pick up Midland/Odessa TX stations (VHF) 100 miles away and on more than one occasion I was able to receive channel 28 out of Lubbock, TX which is 175 miles away.

there are plans out there for building yourself one of these TV antennas based on the original patent documentation submitted by Mr. Finney back in the 40's.

We used these antennas because our NBC station is 75 away with quite a clear black and white picture (this was before color TV).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)