Better Receiver

rodder

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 6, 2005
Adairsville,Ga 30103
I have a 211k right now that i own i don't dvr now and would only do very little if i had one just wonder if there would be something better.

I have a 211k right now that i own i don't dvr now and would only do very little if i had one just wonder if there would be something better.

What do you mean by something better? Are you talking about going to a DVR model receiver? If so you can upgrade to a 612, 722 or even the Hopper. Be aware that you will pay a $7 DVR fee for those receivers.

If you like the receiver you already own you can just purchase an external hard drive for it, call Dish to activate the DVR feature and pay the one time $40 fee to make your receiver a DVR without a monthy fee.

If you're just curious if there is a better single tuner HD receiver then the answer is no. That is still the current HD single tuner receiver without a DVR. The do make a 211z now but the model you have is better.

Reactions: rodder
Believe me, once you start DVRing, you'll likely will want to do more than very little. Converting a 211K to a DVR with an EHD, and one time $40 fee gives you just one tuner to either watch or record on...one or the other. I would look for a 722 receiver, fairly cheap these days, and take advantage of two sat tuners, plus one OTA. If you would get a 722K, you would need to purchase an optional OTA tuner (not built in like the 722).

I'm not a big fan of DVR's. I don't do daily or weekly recording of favorites or anything like that. However, I do have a 211K with the external hard drive for DVR. It comes in quite handy for several things, like instant replay to see if I really saw what I thought I saw. Or, I can pause the program while I go to the bathroom. Or, if there's a ball game on one channel and I want to watch a movie on the other, I can record one and watch the other. Of course, one has to be OTA and the other over satellite.

I like the 211K. DVR without the fee.

I'm not a big fan of DVR's. I don't do daily or weekly recording of favorites or anything like that. However, I do have a 211K with the external hard drive for DVR. It comes in quite handy for several things, like instant replay to see if I really saw what I thought I saw. Or, I can pause the program while I go to the bathroom. Or, if there's a ball game on one channel and I want to watch a movie on the other, I can record one and watch the other. Of course, one has to be OTA and the other over satellite.

I like the 211K. DVR without the fee.

Well you just named off some of the key features of the DVR so it sounds like you're a fan. The only think you don't use it for is archiving shows and that's just one of the many benefits of the DVR.

Reactions: DWS44 and rodder
Yeah, I'm a little fan, but not a big fan. :) I know people who record half of the network offerings weekly, have every episode of Duck Dynasty and Dancing with the Stars. I sure wouldn't pay $7 a month for the little I use it.

I've been a HUGE fan of DVRs ever since my first 501. If I go to a hotel without a DVR, I'm seriously bent out of shape. I find TV (no matter what channel other than PBS) unwatchable due to wall-to-wall commercials. How can anyone watch that stuff?

I am at the age where I often drop off during a show. Hence I DVR everything we plan to watch even when we are watching live. If helps finding how a show ends when I wake up.

Hopper PTAT handles the issue when two, or more shows are scheduled at the same time.

Wouldn't be without a DVR and now, without a Hopper unless something better comes along.

Once you DVR, you can't go back. It's like once you broadband, you can't go back to dialup.

I remember when I first got a DVR and I was used to using it, I caught myself wanting to rewind the radio in my car. Now, I hardly ever listen to the radio and it's almost exclusively my Ipod.

I never watch anything live and never watch commercials. Sometimes, I even record the football game and wait until its been on an hour and start watching it. That way I get to the end about the same time that the live game is just getting over. Why would anyone want to watch the same commercial over and over and over and over, since they replay them so many times. I haven't seen a commercial in years. Would die, if I didn't have a dvr. Don't know how I existed without one.

I've been a HUGE fan of DVRs ever since my first 501. If I go to a hotel without a DVR, I'm seriously bent out of shape. I find TV (no matter what channel other than PBS) unwatchable due to wall-to-wall commercials. How can anyone watch that stuff?
+1!!!
Couldn't agree more. If I had to watch TV the old way I would probably quit watching it--seriously. How folks can endure the commercials baffles me. They drive me insane!

Ed

Lol. I usually record. I agree. But if I'm watching live, I just turn the volume down and do something else, for a minute

watching live? what's that? :) If I'm "live", I'll pause at the start of the first commercial and do something else for an extended time, so that the next few commercials I won't have to wait through.

Reactions: old corps
I've had a dvr since August of 98 when DISH came out the Webtv/dishplayer 7100 & 7200 models. It didn't have much hard drive but I loved it -till the Microsoft fight with DISH over software. Then it was the worst receiver I could ever have. I replaced it like 3 or 4 times till I gave up and went with a 501 series pvr. I have never NOT had a dvr since. The vcr was retired shortly after the dvr was in my home. I think the last time I used it was in 2000. Out of all the dvrs I've had the Hopper is the best so far.

Got a qustion if i buy the HD and pay the $40 fee and say 2 are 3 weeks the receiver goes bad is it transferable to another receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts