Status
Please reply by conversation.

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
I have a BV mount for a dish that was ruined. :( But the motor has been converted to a magnet wheel and reed switch position sensor. :) And I've been thinking about using that mount to run a common 10' quadpanel dish. I picked up a KTI last spring and have been thinking over the idea. I checked some fabrication costs and I can make a 40" dish ring for the KTI that fits the Birdview mount for about $50. I also want the BV to fit a 4 1/2" pole so I will change the pole clamp on the mount. The KTI has some damage so I think I'll run out to the dish junk yard and see if there is another perforated quad out there :) This should keep me out of the bars for awhile ;)

I managed some time with the BV motor today. It's going to require a total teardown and rebuild. I tried to run it today with an asc1 and blew the fuse eventually. It can hardly move :( I was going to do that any way so not a big setback. I haven't picked out a dish yet but will soon :)
UniMesh 001.JPG

I did get some pictures started on the BV project

BVMotor 005.JPG BVMotor 010.JPG BVMotor 012.JPG BVMotor 014.JPG

Reactions: RimaNTSS
Would be nice to find homes for them all. That is just a small part of the collection of unused dishes. Need a 12' solid? ;)

I managed some time with the BV motor today. It's going to require a total teardown and rebuild. I tried to run it today with an asc1 and blew the fuse eventually. It can hardly move :( I was going to do that any way so not a big setback. I haven't picked out a dish yet but will soon :)
Hopefully the motor is still OK. I was lucky with mine -- there was plenty of grease when I opened up the gear case and water/rust had not gotten in. I measured approx. 3 ohms resistance across the motor leads -- so far so good. Then I detached the motor from the worm shaft assembly to make sure it was free to spin and hooked it up to my GBox. It turns fine until the GBox times out from the lack of a sensor pulse. (Which is what I expected because I haven't completed the magnet/reed switch mod yet). Now I just need to clean up and lube the worm gear and do the magnet/reed mod like yours already has.

I noticed that your motor/gear set is 167:1 and mine says 37:1 on the label. Same volt and amp rating. Here's a photo of the gears right after I opened it:
vwmotor.jpg

Hopefully the motor is still OK. I was lucky with mine -- there was plenty of grease when I opened up the gear case and water/rust had not gotten in. I measured approx. 3 ohms resistance across the motor leads -- so far so good. Then I detached the motor from the worm shaft assembly to make sure it was free to spin and hooked it up to my GBox. It turns fine until the GBox times out from the lack of a sensor pulse. (Which is what I expected because I haven't completed the magnet/reed switch mod yet). Now I just need to clean up and lube the worm gear and do the magnet/reed mod like yours already has.

I noticed that your motor/gear set is 167:1 and mine says 37:1 on the label. Same volt and amp rating. Here's a photo of the gears right after I opened it:
View attachment 105874
I had smoke coming from the motor while I was trying it. I pulled the armature and it was covered in that grease. I cleaned it up and polished the commutator , but it didn't help much. Well it doesn't smoke anymore;) The shaft bearings and bushings need cleaned up and re-lubed. There was a very heavy dish on this mount. But I was a bit surprised at the gear ratio.
Here's the grease they use in those: Amazon product ASIN B000ARPVO8
Same thing for the Ajak HH drive.
I use the red grease for my AJAK mounts too. Works good :)
I have 37:1, 70:1 and 110:1 in my BV mount collection but never seen a 167:1 before...niiiiice. :thumbup
I remember you telling of the three different ratios you had. I was uncertain when I saw the 167/1 ratio if that was right.

Montana weather; two inches of snow followed by 70° temps the next day. :) Did some teardown and evaluation of the BV project.
Unfortunately the armature in the motor is bad. :( Broken winding. I can't patch it. So I'm looking for another BV motor. There are a couple more Birdviews complete in the junkyard. But taking the motor from one will make it unusable. So I'm weighing my options here.
I learned a lot about these mounts tearing the one down. They were not really made to come back apart though. The adjustments are staked in place. There is an eccentric bushing used to dial in the backlash on the final drive. It is then drilled and pinned. The worm gear has thrust needle bearings on both sides and the free play can be adjusted with shims under the shaft retainer that is bolted down with 4 allen head screws on the one side.
BVwormdrive 005.JPG BVwormdrive 011.JPG

View attachment 105874
I'm a little curious about the application of the different ratio specs myself. Those primary reduction gears you pictured are the same in my gearbox. With the motor removed from the gearbox I reached thru the opening and moved the primary gear with my pocket screwdriver and was amazed at how far the output shaft on the gearbox moved. Definitely didn't appear to be 167:1 there????

Reactions: richyrich
I'm a little curious about the application of the different ratio specs myself. Those primary reduction gears you pictured are the same in my gearbox. With the motor removed from the gearbox I reached thru the opening and moved the primary gear with my pocket screwdriver and was amazed at how far the output shaft on the gearbox moved. Definitely didn't appear to be 167:1 there????

Is that the modified reed sw mark 167:1 ? They originally had a 10k potent. ; just looked at mine (I have not taken mine apart, it cost me 10,000 dollars in the day); it is still 10k i think the number of times it can turn is a number of spins before it breaks. It also has a very matched serial number too; mount/dish. and abilities to insert marks. I have mine laying down for aiming; the mount is removed. Glad to know there are a few better dishes available, but I think where the mark is may be a maker's mark; or installed count wheel to final drive ratio; and it counts very fast for accuracy; only a 922/gbo may count it (or older analog opto 12v)-circuit's.

The way to match is the armature winding size and dimensions; and of course, the 2-4 bearing line up magnet enclosure's dimensions and the bolts holding it. The outer magnet or the armature; or both; is what breaks. Both together give the final drawn rating and power it needs to supply as an entire assembly (all the gaskets/seals/bearing new) and typically is the only way to get any the same to mount (outer case magnet and size with mount/bearing bolts for the is kind of jig they used in the day) probably in old - von weisse; or saginaw.

However, my plan is to mount this one static; and brace it all staticly also (Duck Pond typed into somebodies front yard); you want the motor; shipping cost only?

The client's the modified are on (reed sw) that I did had to have magnets in the wheel (half) removed to get a firm count; and the old day's of the 10k pot. are no longer (holes are there to drain the water).

What I liked was the fact that it had two (2) drives; when it started it would be slow mo; then the positioner would go faster (fast-mo); then slow down before reaching "its destination"...If I could find another positioner for the 10k; I would use the motor instead!

Last edited:
I was searching for other Birdview information here and stumbled upon this which might help: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/building-an-h2h-mount.160205/page-2 Page 2 is where they start talking about dish movement speed and gear ratios.

Reactions: Magic Static
Montana weather; two inches of snow followed by 70° temps the next day. :) Did some teardown and evaluation of the BV project.
Unfortunately the armature in the motor is bad. :( Broken winding. I can't patch it. So I'm looking for another BV motor. There are a couple more Birdviews complete in the junkyard. But taking the motor from one will make it unusable. So I'm weighing my options here.
I learned a lot about these mounts tearing the one down. They were not really made to come back apart though. The adjustments are staked in place. There is an eccentric bushing used to dial in the backlash on the final drive. It is then drilled and pinned. The worm gear has thrust needle bearings on both sides and the free play can be adjusted with shims under the shaft retainer that is bolted down with 4 allen head screws on the one side.
View attachment 106184 View attachment 106185

I believe Von Weise is still in business it might be worthwhile to order a new armature or a complete motor. You may even be able to have the armature rewound as a last resort.

http://www.vonweise.com/

I believe Von Weise is still in business it might be worthwhile to order a new armature or a complete motor. You may even be able to have the armature rewound as a last resort.

http://www.vonweise.com/
I have spoken with VonWeise before on another project. They are very helpful folks :) Good company. We do have a motor rewinding shop here in town. They prefer to repair the big industrial motors. But I'm sure I can throw enough money at them and they will do it.
But the brushes and commutator are significantly worn and I think I can come up with another BV. There is an unused BV about 8 blocks from me. I'm sure I heard it calling my name ;)

eccentric bushing
View attachment 106184 View attachment 106185
what is the point of the set screws that are 180 degrees apart if the backlash is drilled and pinned?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)