BLOCKBUSTER raising it's DVD rental rates

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Just received notice today that Blockbuster is going up in price 66% for DVD rentals April 1. I now pay $30 for 2 out at a time for $30 a month. The new price will be $50 a month for 2 out at a time. They are changing the name to "Blue Ticket" for this as well. They also have a "Movie Pass" version which is 1 out at a time and you can have two accounts, but this new version is only movies and TV shows. No games. for $14.99. I will probably switch to this with two accounts since it puts me back to what I currently pay but have to give up game rentals.

This is different from the Blockbuster DVD mail order with is much more expensive per disk since that service is way too slow on delivery.

Sure makes my Dish subscription look like a better deal.

$50 a month for 2 dvds out at a time?Something doesn't sound right there?

Yes, but not anywhere near the price Don is talking about.

Yes, but not anywhere near the price Don is talking about.

No but,I assume with a 66% increase it would be.Maybe Don will come back and share his notice.

This is a store subscription offer. There is no upload of the rate increase that I know of but I'll do a scan of the paper they handed me and post that.

Year before last they offered two out at a time for $30. Then last year they changed the deal to one out for $15. But allowed me to have two accounts. It was no real rate increase but this year they raised the price from $15 to $25. However, they still have a movie and TV show DVD for $15, eliminating the game rental. So, I can keep my same rate for $30 two out at a time but have to give up game rentals.

In addition, this week they increased the non subscription rental from $2.99 for 5 day rental to $3.99 for one day plus .99 per day late fee. Games, I believe are now $7.99 for 5 day.

Not only that, they are getting less and less new releases in the past 6 months.

I have to re-evaluate my BD and DVD rental plan here and might have to look into this Red Box thing. My Dish Network bill also went up a month ago about $12 too.

Hall- Blockbuster stores were closed a year ago in communities where the business didn't support the overhead. We still have 3 in this city and in January when I was in Las Vegas, they were all over the place. Dayton probably just wasn't big enough to support a store. I thought they still have about 400 stores in the country but many of those are closing this year.

Here, I scanned in the coupon they gave me yesterday that explains the new pricing of the Movie Pass and the New Blue Ticket. The Blue Ticket is basically what I have now, but I have two accounts to get 2 out at a time.

Blockbuster pricing3-2013.jpg

My store has had the $14.95 per month movie pass for the last year at least. If you live near a store this is a pretty good deal. Easily 30 movies per month or more, if you like driving.

Here, I scanned in the coupon they gave me yesterday that explains the new pricing of the Movie Pass and the New Blue Ticket. The Blue Ticket is basically what I have now, but I have two accounts to get 2 out at a time.

View attachment 86164
This actually looks like the game discs are not part of the monthly pass, but now part of a new higher price package.

I personally dont think BB lives much longer. Mail service sucks, online content sucks and stores are a dying breed. You will have Netflix, Redbox and the 3D Rental.

I think we have more adult video stores around here now than actual movie rentals. I gave up on Netflix mailers too. I allow myself to fall behind, then buy them used off Amazon.

and the mom and pops.
The ONLY walk-in video rental store that I know of around here is Family Video. It's almost as if they saw the end of BB coming and they sat quietly and waited... Instead of over-saturating the market with stores, they opened a small number of stores in strategic locations based on the recently closed BB, Hollywood Video, and others stores.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)