"Blu-Ray sales tank for good reasons"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
I found this hilarious and to the point at the same time...
Blu-Ray sales tank for good reasons - The INQUIRER
The format has three problems, DRM infections, BD-J and greed. The greed part is obvious, Sony won the format war and are trying to charge people between 50 and 100% more for a product with marginally better quality. Sure, it looks better, and the 0.07% of people with 7.1 channel audio setups will be overjoyed, but for the rest, it is a small step at best over an upconverting DVD.
That brings us to the next down side, there is no up, DRM. Every Blu-ray disc is DRM infected even if the producer doesn't want it to be, in order to get a company to manufacture it, it must be infected. Sony gets an infection kickback fee as well, so don't think it is purely for protection unless you mean it in the -racket sense.
Blu-ray DRM infections do not protect anything, Slysoft has cracked it...
There are two problems with this, other than the fact that morons spent money on a Sony format, it works like crap and it phones home, both comprise the third negative. Working like crap is the obvious one...

The funny part is, Microsoft and Intel, as co-founders of AACS, get "infection kickbacks" too...:D

Diogen.

Crapray and $ony are scum and I think we must cleanse the world of their evil.

Yes people we must bring Armageddon. The mark of the beast is a Blue seal! $ony equals Antichrist!

Seriously I do like the anti scratch feature of bluray and seriously $ony is the Antichrist.

The most important reason is Blu-ray players are TOO FRIGGIN EXPENSIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The media needs to come down too. I know people will argue to the death that BD isn't "that much more", but more is still more no matter how you slice it. A good upconverting DVD player looks great. Yes and BD looks better, but not better enough :)

See ya
Tony

Hopefully the sign of a trend, but Frys will have Twister on BD for $20 tomorrow.

If they do that with all new releases (Amazon has it for $18ish i think) then it will go a long day to convince adopters like me to keep buying media.

Until then... Dark City with probably be my next purchase... followed by Iron Man.

Hopefully the sign of a trend, but Frys will have Twister on BD for $20 tomorrow.

If they do that with all new releases (Amazon has it for $18ish i think) then it will go a long day to convince adopters like me to keep buying media.

Until then... Dark City with probably be my next purchase... followed by Iron Man.
You wont see Ironman on BD at 20 bucks I bet.

My faith in humanity is restored:
Blu-ray Wins the Format Battle, but Consumers Don't Buy it

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/news/2008/05/blu-ray_wins_the_format_battle_but_consumers_dont_buy_it.php

The most interesting part in this poll I find the console numbers: one out of nine 360 owners bought a HD DVD add-on drive.
I believe this means about the same ratio of PS3 owners use the console for BD playback - maybe a bit more since there are no options not to have it.
My guess would be 15% max...

If true, this would dramatically reduce the discrepancy (between DVD and BD) in number of discs bought for each player from 30 vs. 3 to much
more reasonable numbers in the ballpark of 30 vs. 13 or so...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts