Bought an HD-A3 for my Dad - and got a good deal

ONUOsFan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Fishers, IN
Just so you guys know I mean it when I say "do what is best for you," my Mom and I went in together for a new player for my Dad's birthday and I advised her that the HD-A3 would be their best bet at this point. Money was not the driving factor (although it was a factor to a degree). They have my old 55" Phillips 1080i LCOS set, with no current plans to upgrade it, so no rush for a 1080p player, and they'll probably use it as much for upconvert as to actually play HD-DVD's - I can't see them spending $25-$30 for a movie, although they will get some with their Netflix membership. Add to that the fact that they got 9 free movies, and it's a pretty minimal risk for them to jump to HDM.

I also told her that even if things go the way they look like they're going and Blu-Ray "wins out," that they could probably buy a BD player in a year or so and still end up paying less in total for both players than they would have paid now just for the BD player...

Anyway, I just felt like that was the way to go for them.

As a side note, I was able to use the coupon in this link (printed it out double-sided so it was a passable imitation of the original, and the cashier didn't say anything - just scanned it), so all told, they got an HD-A3 with 9 free movies (including the 5 by mail, of course) for $127.17 with tax. That coupon also works for BD players, although you do have to have a Reward Zone membership (and a cashier who doesn't care enough to read the "no copies" fine print on the back) for it to work.

As another side note, I had to go to two stores to find the player - not because they didn't have any in stock, but because all the ones they had were open-box items (returns, I assume). The first store had 2 and the second had 3 that were opened. Plenty of A30's on the shelves at both stores.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)