Brand New Titanium ASC1 -- Odd Behavior

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

acadiancowboy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
I received a brand new Titanium ASC1 today. Really was looking forward to getting this going, but it is virtually unusable with my linear actuator on my 10' BUD. Keeping in mind that I have a GBOX V3000 that works just fine with this setup, I literally replaced it with the ASC1. Here's what I did:

I hooked up M1/M2 to the red/white wires going to my actuator.

I hooked up S1/S2 to the brown/green wires going to my actuator.

When I turn on the ASC1 and press the East/West buttons, the linear actuator moves the dish just perfect.

However, if I then connect the 100' RG6 cable from the DMX741 LNB on the dish to the LNB port on the back of the ASC1 and press the East/West buttons, I get a click and a rather long message on the LCD screen about limits, motor blocked, etc. The dish won't move -- instead I get this message over and over when hitting the East/West buttons.

If I turn off the ASC1, unscrew the RG6 from the LNB port, turn on the ASC1, and press the East/West buttons, the dish moves fine.

I have tried the following:

1. Connected a spare DMX741 LNB -- same results
2. Connected a Chapparel C-BAND LNB -- same results
3. Tried the second 100' RG6 cable in the bundle -- same results
4. Switched the wires on the S1/S2 terminals -- same results

No matter what I try, no matter what I do... if there is an LNB connected on the other side of the RG6, the ASC1 will not move east or west, but display this long message on the LCD.

I called Titanium support and talked to Brian. He suggested several things which I've since tried. I'm just out of ideas.

Has anyone seen this behavior before?

Hmmm. Never saw or heard of this issue before, unless something is shorting out somewhere. Very Odd.

Following up on the testing that I had suggested... Did the problem happen if only the coax was connected or when both coax and a LNBF connected? Also need to rule out the voltage ground potential on the coax. If the problem does not happen when the coax is connected, but does when the LNBF is connected, try this test. Ground the nut of the f-fitting to the dish frame and test the actustor movement. Does the error message appear?

Forgot to ask the length of the f-fitting center stinger. Was thinking after you called that the f-fitting cinch may be shorting out when the coax is inserted. This could be caused be connector defect or the stinger is too long.

Possible power regulator failure or cold solder, which allowed preshipment testing, but failed on arrival.

Sure sounds like a ground-loop issue to me... Those can drive you absolute bonkers at times to figure out. If it is a ground-loop, it's very possible the G-box has a floating ground, so isn't affected.

Following up on the testing that I had suggested... Did the problem happen if only the coax was connected or when both coax and a LNBF connected? Also need to rule out the voltage ground potential on the coax. If the problem does not happen when the coax is connected, but does when the LNBF is connected, try this test. Ground the nut of the f-fitting to the dish frame and test the actustor movement. Does the error message appear?

Forgot to ask the length of the f-fitting center stinger. Was thinking after you called that the f-fitting cinch may be shorting out when the coax is inserted. This could be caused be connector defect or the stinger is too long.

Possible power regulator failure or cold solder, which allowed preshipment testing, but failed on arrival.

It does matter if the LNB is connected or not at the dish end. If the f-connector is NOT connected to the LNB but IS connected to the ASC1, it moves the dish fine. It's only when the f-connector is connected to the LNB on the dish side that the message appears.

The center conductor on both ends of the 100' RG6 are not too long... checked those already. Also, eliminated the short RG6 cable to the wall outlet... these tests are with the single 100' RG6, end to end, from the ASC1 back to the LNB on the dish outside.

I have not tried grounding the f-fitting nut -- will do that this morning to see if that makes a difference. Just a long wire from the f-connector exterior to a place on the dish frame should do the trick, right?

I have not tried grounding the f-fitting nut -- will do that this morning to see if that makes a difference. Just a long wire from the f-connector exterior to a place on the dish frame should do the trick, right?

No long wire necessary. Just touch only the outside of the coax connection to anything metal on the dish or scalar, then try moving East/West.

We've seen this kind of thing before when the microHD came out. Some folks were having problems with the V/Gboxes not functioning. The culprit was the 22khz switch in the C/Ku LNBF . The interference caused the Gbox to miss the DiSEqC 1.2 calls. But you said you swapped out the LNB for a different kind and still a problem. But do you have a problem switch still in the setup somewhere??

We've seen this kind of thing before when the microHD came out. Some folks were having problems with the V/Gboxes not functioning. The culprit was the 22khz switch in the C/Ku LNBF . The interference caused the Gbox to miss the DiSEqC 1.2 calls. But you said you swapped out the LNB for a different kind and still a problem. But do you have a problem switch still in the setup somewhere??

No, no switch between the LNB port on the ASC1 and the now-installed Chaparral C-Band LNB... just a 100' RG6 with compression connectors on each end.

I'm going to perform the ground test this morning and report results.

Thanks to all who have responded with suggestions. I appreciate the support here (and from Titanium as well!)

One more possibility I thought of: The actuator motor could be drawing so much power to move there is none left for a LNB. The LNB puts it over limit and you get the message displayed you have been seeing. If you have a DVOM you may be able to check this out.

Magic Static, Great memory to recall the 22KHz switch issue with the internal C/KU LNBFs. We had discussed this first thing yesterday during trouble shooting. :D

Doubt that it is related to excessive motor current draw as it had been running fine on a G/VBox. The ASC1 provides approximately 2 more amps at 115Vac than the G/VBox.

My bet at this point is on either a ground loop or a regulator IC defect.

Magic Static, Doubt that it is related to excessive motor current draw as it had been running fine on a G/VBox. The ASC1 provides approximately 2 more amps at 115Vac than the G/VBox.

My bet at this point is on either a ground loop or a regulator IC defect.
True, But I was just thinking the GBox doesn't power the LNB like the ASC1 does and that may point to something.

I have an update on the ASC1.

Brian shipped out a replacement and it came in today. I hooked everything up carefully, connected the RG6 to the Chaparral C-Band LNB, turned on the replacement ASC1, and it works! I can move the dish east/west without issue. I'm receiving channels and am scanning the satellite arc without any problems.

I am thrilled that this is now working and look forward to many years of great service from this fine piece of equipment. I also want to thank Brian for his patience, quick support, and ultimate success in helping to get this working. I'll be interested in learning what he finds with the other ASC1 that I'm shipping back to him on Monday.

Oh, Brian, could you please get on FedEx? I noticed the package go several places in California before heading to Mississippi. LOL
I suppose to get it Wednesday.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)