BREAKING VOOM DVR News from CES!!!

queefer said:
Does Scott have pics of the back of the PVR. I saw his video from a few months ago and it looked impressive.
The only 580's here are the ones running the demo. Because they are in a cabinet and are hooked up I couldn't get pictures of the back of the units.

The Tech Guys told me they would rather have the working DEMO Units on top of the cabinet for all to see, but the VOOM marketing folks wanted them hidden as they wanted a clean looking booth, not a bunch of units with a mass pile of cables showing to all. Another reason why the VOOM tech guys want them out and not in the cabinet is for cooling reasons, when you open up the cabinet the heat that came out was amazing.

The DVR is real and working, again the features not working were the simple features all the hard work is done. I expect VOOM will meet its goal of getting the DVR out the door by the end of March.

Scott,

are we going to get pictures or video of the demo/software functionality of the dvr? I know we have seen it but in every show the software has been added more features.

I yi yi, dang trolls, and what a nice pick for a user name, get a life!!!

Sean Mota said:
Scott,

are we going to get pictures or video of the demo/software functionality of the dvr? I know we have seen it but in every show the software has been added more features.
Yes I have video of the VOOM DVR, however I can't post it now because the broadband here in the hotel isn't very broad. :)

Why don't you use that broadband you had around your arm last night :D

I'm excited about the possibility of a DVR.

However, do you think, in the process, we could get an STB that doesn't crash out of the deal?

If the DVR isn't any better than the STB, then they should just give me a box running Windows ME and get it over with.

vurbano said:
Queefer the voom DVR works but has some software glitches. Greg has reported that. Its the SD boxes that are empty. Your ignorance and lack of research amaze me. :rolleyes:

Hey look vurb, Voom has hardware... the phantom DVR myth is laid to rest.

You know, I don't have a problem with Voom doing what they are at the moment. I have said before and I'll reiterate that I believe there is a reason all of this seems to be targeted for the spring. It is my belief that Voom will relaunch in a much bigger way at that time. How much of a splash can you make if you basically "relaunch" Voom with the following:

A Networked DVR
New Channels (70 HD, hundreds of SD, etc.)
MPEG 4
New Dish for MultiSats
SD boxes available for cheap for the kids' rooms, kitchen, etc.

If you think about it, why would they launch the DVR before MPEG 4and the new sat ability and have to upgrade, or build in the cost of the upgrade into the box. Doesn't make good sense.

I also believe it is possible Voom's sats will be unloaded and that Rainbow will make the Cinema10 and Voom exclusives available as "compelling HD content" exclusively at first to the purchaser (E*?) and then to everyone else (ala Sundance, AMC, etc.)- this also makes business sense. They could then spin off Rainbow media as just that- a media company.

Can somebody please post the URL where all the Voom facts are?

Can't seem to find it.

Sean, could you ask Scott to find out what additional coaxial wiring will need to be done for both the DVR and the bigger dish?

rudolpht said:
I don't know what this nonsense is about not showing it to the public. They did show it to me and walked through the demo showing what was working or not.
Tim/Scott:
Can any of you confirm that it is indeed being shown to the public? Maybe when you get a chance, go back to the booth area and observe from the distance if they're showing the DVR to other people that stop by. I think this is important to estalish credibility.

But what if they’re actually press dressed as Joe public and have a secret handshake that identifies them as so?

Geesh I hope that last reply was a joke.

B.Greenway said:
Geesh I hope that last reply was a joke.
Nope. It wasn't a joke. I think that there is some confusion here as to whether or not the DVR is being shown to the Joe6Pack that stops by the booth. Some people have posted that it is not, but both Scott and Tim (rudolpht) have seen the demo.

rudolpht said:
I don't know what this nonsense is about not showing it to the public. They did show it to me

They are opening that cabinet and showing those three units with the tape and wires on them to everybody or have they put more units out on display? What connections are in the back of the units? - that is the kind of thing A/V people like to see when a company displays a new product so I am glad they are letting people see the back.

Conspiracy theorists may say that the back of those three units in the cabinet feature only a connection to that same UNIX computer from last years show.

queefer said:
You must be bipolar.

One post you slam voom. The next you praise it, then slam it then praise. When somebody has a better point to bring out. You slam them because they thought of something quicker than you.

Jealous?
You know the really sad part is that this guy doesnt have any HD service at all.:rolleyes:

What is HDMI DVI

What is HDMI as it releates to DVI, it is the new output on the Voom DVR. I am scared , will i be able to connect my Mitsubishi 68613 Diamond's DVI port to the DVR. I hear this the the future interface for the new HD DVD coming out in the fall. It is a standard DVI single/dual link interface.

Thanks guys for all the good reporting at CES. I wanted to go see the vcom booth now i can see the reports firsthand. Satellite guys rocks.

calikarim said:
What is HDMI as it releates to DVI...
Don't worry. HDMI is compatible with DVI (just a different connector plus audio signals). In fact, my Panny plasma display is HDMI and I currently connect it to the STB DVI output using a simple DVI-to-HDMI cable.

HDMI "it is the new output on the Voom DVR"

where did you see this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)