BUD Racing

Discussion in 'The FTA Shack' started by FaT Air, Dec 10, 2012.

1. FaT Air

FaT Air Thread Starter HOA Free Zone Pub Member / Supporter

Ok, since there's another thread comparing blind scan speeds, How about some BUD racing? All BUDs on a polar mount qualify. (This includes HtoH style)
    Say, Run #1 is 83W to 123 W. Run #2 is 123W to 83W..
    (Limited arc so as to not disqualify anyone)
    Time is measured from loss of video to acquisition of video.
    Also include your dish size & make (if known) and Actuator type/length, make (age??) Mover?
    If there are conflicts, this could start off as a sanctioning meeting to settle on rules?lol
    My results, with the above positions used, are:
    Run #1 = 30 sec. Run #2 = 32 sec, (same results on repeating)
    10Ft U.S.S. steel BUD, VonWeise 24inch 20+ yrs old. G-Box.
    BTW: Outside air temp = 0°

Advertisements Register Today!

Reigster at SatelliteGuys
  2. Magic Static

Magic Static SatelliteGuys Family Pub Member / Supporter

10' Laser C/Ku, 24" VonWeise, VBox X
    Run#1 = 34sec. Run #2 = 38 sec
    Outside temp 35°F
    Close to the same :)
  3. rgk

rgk Member

10ft Unimesh - 24in SuperJack. 25.6s W to E. 24.5s E to W. Includes about 3.2 s waiting for the command from the receiver. Air temp 31.8F
  4. stogie5150

stogie5150 Crazed Cajun Rebel Pub Member / Supporter

I can tell you guys anyone with a Birdview is going to KILL y'all...LOL...they haul the mail.:D
  5. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Active SatelliteGuys Member

SAMI system in my Sig using the S9 receiver. 61* OAT

#1 run 22 seconds
    #2 run 23 seconds

This system will run from 137w to 37w in 46 seconds!

Mover is a 24" Super Jack and system that I don't have a clue as to how old it is as it was given to me by a guy down the road.

I'll try to remember to check the Winegard system when I go into the house but that thing is slow as a snail compared to this SAMI.
  6. rgk

rgk Member

10ft Unimesh - 24in SuperJack. 25.6s W to E. 24.5s E to W. Includes about 3.2 s waiting for the command from the receiver. Air temp 31.8F. G-Box mover.
  7. eurosport

eurosport The Alternative, Monday Nights at 8 Supporting Founder SatelliteGuys Radio DJ

7.5 ft Winegard with an 18" Venture actuator driven by an oldie but a goodie 36 volt :eek: ( oh yeah!) :D Uniden UST-7700at Satellite Selector...
    Run #1: 18.5 seconds.
    Run #2: 19 seconds. :cool: ....That's haulin' the mail right there!
    Not gonna run the 10'er ...it's much slower than the lil' one! :D
  8. rgk

rgk Member

Oh crap it's 1974 all over again!!! So how do I go about mounting headers on a dish mover?
  9. FaT Air

FaT Air Thread Starter HOA Free Zone Pub Member / Supporter

I figured using those older IRD's with 36 volt were gonna be fast. I know mine was when driven with the Toshiba (any one of them BEFORE the mandated 24 volt motor voltage construction)
    Waiting for a BV to enter the fray.
    Maybe mod the GBox to use a GI PS motor voltage?(Hmmmmm:loco:)
  10. eurosport

eurosport The Alternative, Monday Nights at 8 Supporting Founder SatelliteGuys Radio DJ

My 10 footer is driven by a Toshiba TRX-120 with the same model Venture 18" arm but that little 7.5 foot Winegard is still crazy-fast in comparison! :D
  11. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Active SatelliteGuys Member

Winegard system using the S9 receiver. 59* OAT

#1 run was 27 seconds
    #2 run was 30 seconds

This system will run from 137w to 37w in 60 seconds! Humm, it's faster than I thought then I guess. Just seems to be much slower than the other system though.

This 24" Von Weise mover is one that came with my system when I bought it back in 1988. I replaced the nylon nut in it a year or so back with a brass one and also added a couple of extra magnets to the counter wheel. This system has almost twice the counts as the SAMI system but to be honest, I haven't had any problems locking feeds that I could blame on the lower counts that SAMI system has.
  12. Iceberg

Iceberg We're here....RUN!!!! Supporting Founder

I use to be able to run my dish from 87 to 137 in like 4 seconds...but then take forever fine tuning the signal :p
  13. Tron

Tron SatelliteGuys Family

Ghetto moving the dish is always the fastest, if not the most accurate :D ...
  14. Peachseed

Peachseed New Member

10' mesh dish (unknown brand) with single pipe coming out of the middle for new c/ku lnb, new cheep-o actuator from ebay, openbox S10, DMS DiSEqC box.

#1-83 to 123 = 24 sec.
    #2-123 to 83 = 25:47 sec.

The dish was free. Had remove from top of house. The rest of the hardware was pretty cheep. It does not cost a lot of money to get started in a very good true FTA hobby again.
  15. Iceberg

Iceberg We're here....RUN!!!! Supporting Founder

exactly