Bury cable during installation

Micallen

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2014
I haven't seen any recent threads on this. If one of my Joeys needs to be in my man cave, will Dish bury a run of 40 feet or so during installation? If so, is that included ??

Should be included in the installation ,unless it is considered excessive installation ,then they might want to charge you something extra. Best way to know is to call and ask ,but I'm sure it will be discussed again the day the installer shows up.

I would think the opposite...that it is not part of a typical install and it would be an additional charge. From one of the OP's other posts, he said his "man cave" was his shop, which now appears to be an outbuilding requiring a cable bury...for a Joey. If I were a retailer, I sure would want it to be. But to the OP...if this is an outbuilding 40' away, what about a wireless Joey?

Last edited:
It's part of the install but most techs will try to get out of it trying to say another tech is coming or for you to volunteer to bury the cable yourself
If from a Dish, I would agree. But to an outbuilding for a Joey?

I would think the opposite...that it is not part of a typical install and it would be an additional charge. From one of the OP's other posts, he said his "man cave" was his shop, which now appears to be an outbuilding requiring a cable bury...for a Joey. If I were a retailer, I sure would want it to be. But to the OP...if this is an outbuilding 40' away, what about a wireless Joey?

Wireless signal is marginal at best out there. I have plaster walls in the house which seems to be a signal killer.

And yes, to clarify, my man cave is in my shop (outbuilding). I separated the shop with a mid-wall. Back half is shop, front half is man cave.

What I would do in your position is to dig the 40' trench myself. It should be 18" deep and wide enough to drop the cable in. That way when the installer comes there is no question about extra billing.

Because of trees in my yard, my dish was mounted on the roof. When I had a new roof installed I did not want to put the dish on my new roof, so I had it moved to a pole mount beyond the line of trees. Dish came out and moved the dish for free. This included burying the cable all the way to the new pole mount which was about 90 feet away!

I was impressed that Dish did that for free! (I did have the Dish protection plan, so that might have had something to do with it).

What I would do in your position is to dig the 40' trench myself. It should be 18" deep and wide enough to drop the cable in. That way when the installer comes there is no question about extra billing.
When Comcast buried a cable here many years ago, it wasn't more than 6" deep.

When Dish buried my cable, as described in my post above, it was only buried a few inches deep. I can't really blame the installer because my soil was full of roots and very hard to dig. So far, I have not had any problem with the buried cable (and I live in Connecticut which has a fair amount of snow and ice - installed about 3 years ago).

When I posted above that Dish only buried my cable a few inches deep, I did not mean that I recommend doing that. I was just describing how Dish did my install. I agree with Bobby. If I was burying the cable, I would try to go 18 inches deep.

When I posted above that Dish only buried my cable a few inches deep, I did not mean that I recommend doing that. I was just describing how Dish did my install. I agree with Bobby. If I was burying the cable, I would try to go 18 inches deep.
I bet you would go 18" for about a foot...then "going UP" the rest of the way.;)

Reactions: the mack
They likely won't do it at the initial installation either. Any digging, I thought, falls under "Call before digging" rules. They have to request the local utilities to come out and mark where any wiring, piping, etc is underground. Our house had a DirecTV dish, pole-mounted, and I wanted the Dish dish next to it. The installer wouldn't do it that day - he mounted the dish to a 2' x 2' piece of plywood and weighted it down with (2) cement blocks. About a week later, a different installer came back to dig the hole and set up the pole-mount.

What I would do is put a TV in the area facing the shop but inside your main house and have it connected. After the tech leaves, dig your trench, re-route and bury your own cable out to the shop, and relocate the Joey. If you're lucky, the node will be located outside and you can just run cable from it. Or, and some will have heartache over this, just use a coaxial coupler. I found a few websites that sell cabling and supplies that indicate some couplers that are "Dish approved".

Last edited:
They likely won't do it at the initial installation either. Any digging, I thought, falls under "Call before digging" rules. They have to request the local utilities to come out and mark where any wiring, piping, etc is underground. Our house had a DirecTV dish, pole-mounted, and I wanted the Dish dish next to it. The installer wouldn't do it that day - he mounted the dish to a 2' x 2' piece of plywood and weighted it down with (2) cement blocks. About a week later, a different installer came back to dig the hole and set up the pole-mount.

What I would do is put a TV in the area facing the shop but inside your main house and have it connected. After the tech leaves, dig your trench, re-route and bury your own cable out to the shop, and relocate the Joey. If you're lucky, the node will be located outside and you can just run cable from it. Or, and some will have heartache over this, just use a coaxial coupler. I found a few websites that sell cabling and supplies that indicate some couplers that are "Dish approved".
That's why I suggested earlier that the OP dig his own trench in advance. The installer will take it from there....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts