c-band dish mover help please

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

glover31

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Friendship New York
A buddy of mine from hamondsport ny has acquired a hth motor channel-master 10 foot dish or larger. I had him order all the parts I thought were necessary to get him up and going for fta. Also had him get a ku dish.
So.. he got a v-box to move the dish with. Apparently the back of the dish mover has four wire inputs. 2 for the motor and 2 for a sensor. The motor itself only has 2. He found his old video cipher general instruments dish mover from 1996 and it has like 7 wires or more. He still has all the original wiring in his home and to the dish. What would all those extra wires be for? I thought at best we would only need 2 or 4. Im confused. I was thinking that I would just hook up the 2 wires for the motor. That maybe the vbox would just reverse polarity or something to make it go the other way. Please help me understand.

Typical usage would be, red, white, and black wires for the polarotor control; brown, green, and orange for position sensor; Heavy red and heavy white wires for motor power; plus a shield wire. The three sensor wires are used for optical sensors and just two of the wires for a reed switch. You will need to examine the dish end to see how it was wired.

The actuator and motor connection will use 4 wires and the ground shield. Two heavy 12-14 guage wires for motor power, two 18-22 guage wires for the sensor and the shield (drain) wire. The controller reverses the DC current to reverse the drive direction of the actuator motor.

The remaining wires in the ribbon cable are used to control the polarity and offset skew on a feedhorn/LNB with servo. Best signal reception is possible with feedhorns using a servo to set and fine tune the polarity and skew for each satellite. An example of this type of feedhorn/LNB system is the Corotor. Controllers like the Titanium Satellite ASC1 control both the dish positioning and the polarity/skew servo. The G/V boxes only can control the dish positioning.

Reactions: KE4EST
If he still have original Feed horn and LNB with polorotor he will need the 3 small red, black, and white for the that, if it has been replaced with a newer LNBF he will not need those wires. Like Magic stated he will need to look to see what kind of positioner he has. If magnetic just 2 wires for the sensor. Then of course 2 heavy wire for the motor.

What sensor? he is telling me that there is only 2 wires on this motor. This motor is not an actuator arm. Its a heavy box style. worm insect-or style And yes it has been replaced with a new c-band lnbf. The position-er is a v-box. I'm just wondering if he would be better off with his old video cipher general instruments mover box. only it doesn't have its remote anymore.

LOL In the OPs last post, his last sentence is " I haven't a clue" and below I read [Titanium likes this] . I just struck me really funny to read it like I did.

Reactions: Titanium
I was wondering the same.

Ha ha. Well I guess.
I made a trip to hamondsport and got his ku band up and going. hooked up the wiring. ku is good. now on to c-band. Everything is hooked up and off the bat as it was getting dark you could see that the lnbf was not pointing center to the dish. Ugg. Big dish to get up and mess with that. Next Big problem is that this motor is slooooooooooow. Like barely moving. Its a 3 bolt motor. channel master dish. I think that whatever is causing this thing to be so week and so slow is what is causing the v-box to say error. Some kind of resistance build up. We were able to move it via car 12 volt battery jump starter on 6 amp. But I must say this thing should be faster than that. Everything is greased and free. Im thinking it needs a new motor. But I have no idea what this one is called. Its no bigger that a windsheild wiper motor in a car. # bolt to the right side. Has a cover on the left that looks like it comes off. No labeling on it. I took some pictures that i will upload soon. Hopefully that will help identify this thing. Oh by the way I also tried using his combo general instruments video cypher receiver dish mover from 1996. It tried to move the dish but no eval.

here are the pictures.
Photo166.jpg
Photo167.jpg
Photo168.jpg
Photo169.jpg
Photo171.jpg
Photo172.jpg
Photo173.jpg
Photo174.jpg
Photo162.jpg
Photo163.jpg
Photo164.jpg
Photo165.jpg
Photo166.jpg
Photo167.jpg
Photo168.jpg
Photo169.jpg
Photo171.jpg
Photo172.jpg
Photo173.jpg
Photo174.jpg
Photo162.jpg
Photo163.jpg
Photo164.jpg
Photo165.jpg
Photo166.jpg
Photo167.jpg
Photo168.jpg
Photo169.jpg
Photo171.jpg
Photo172.jpg
Photo173.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)