c-band dish mover help please

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The motor is a 30V DC motor. If it was bad I would take it to a motor shop and have it rewound if needed.
Clean the corrosion off the terminal block and wires. Make sure you are getting a proper electrical connection. Those motors don't run enough to wear out a set of brushes, but lack of use can oxidize it all and create problems.

I say call 'em up and see if they still have one and get a price at least. See if they are new or used.

O.K. After much troubleshooting, we are now quite lost. Using both the new dish mover v box and the old combination receiver mover, this motor does not work. If it does its for seconds. Traced out house wires. Tested. Removed motor. disassembled. Everything in it looks good. Very clean. Magnets are free kin strong. Whole case is magnetized. But here is where it gets confusing. This motor will run off a 9 volt battery sitting on the table. So it works. The sensor, if turned by hand while disassembled and connected to the v box will cause the numbers on the v box to fluctuate. What else can possibly be wrong here?

Both the VBox and the old receiver require feedback from the sensor switch to continue dish movement. If no sensor switch cycles are received back from the motor, the controllers will quit sending power to move the dish. From your description, I think thatr both controllers are not receiving the sensor signals back from the motor. This could be a bad switch or wiring.

Test:
Connect the two sensor switch wires to the two VBox sensor terminals.
Use a 12volt car/drill/motocycle battery to move the motor East and West.
Do the VBox counter numbers increase and decrease when the motor is moving and the polarity is reversed? If so, the sensor switch is probably working fine.

Thanks titanium. He did the test with a 12 volt battery starter. Also took it to a guy that rebuilds motors. Everything checks out but didn't know anything about the sensor stuff. Apparently, the vbox numbers only go one way and not the other. So increase and not decrease. So I would assume the sensor switch is not working then. Where would you get a new sensor switch?

Doing the test with the battery to power the motor, the sensor would only count one direction because the VBox doesn't know you reversed the motor. It only sees the sensor switch open and close. It sounds like you have a bad diode in the limit switch system of the motor.

Reactions: Titanium
sensor counts will only go "one way" if powering the motor with an external source. Usually counts the same 'direction' as last moved by the mover. To reverse the counts reverse the movers direction.

Reactions: Titanium
what? Titanium can you coment here? The vbox only counts in one direction. Polarities reversed nothing happens. Now i am confused. If i have not mentioned it this is what happens when trying to use it normal. Err2. And sometimes the motor will move for a split second but still get an error. Also i know the diods are good because the limit switches work and the diods were tested by the motor guy that he took it to. the wiring is good. what about a fuse?

Er2 means no sensor signal. The motors moves just for a split second until it sees no signal from the sensor and stops. But it would be really odd to have a sensor that can only see the magnet wheel move in one direction. The sensor is just a switch that opens and closes. It can not indicate direction of travel. The VBox knows direction of travel by the direction of the current in the motor circuit.

[=

But then I just remembered we are talking about an AJAK. I have had peculiar sensor issues with an AJAK. Had one that would ER2 when the barometer dropped low. If you need a switch I have a remanufactured one that I will trade you for your bad one. You don't need to send me the old one until you get it going.

what? Titanium can you coment here? The vbox only counts in one direction. Polarities reversed nothing happens. Now i am confused. If i have not mentioned it this is what happens when trying to use it normal. Err2. And sometimes the motor will move for a split second but still get an error. Also i know the diods are good because the limit switches work and the diods were tested by the motor guy that he took it to. the wiring is good. what about a fuse?

What wires did you reverse polarity on when testing? It should be the motor wires, NOT the sensor wires.

If a V-box couldn't count backwards, it would never be able to go back to a particular satellite once it went past it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)