Status
Please reply by conversation.

robosat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
North of Mexico
Hi Guys.
I have almost 3 months with a MicroHD receiver and my 1.8m Centered LNB Antenna pointing to the Galaxy 16 satellite. Beside the centered LNBF I installed a second one, catching channels from Galaxy 3C (basically CBS and Univisión). Some weeks ago, eventually I moved slightly the antenna to the West and could catch MeTV1 and MeTV2 on SES1 with a 70 Quality Signal with the centered LNBF. Then, I moved again the dish back to the Galaxy 16. These last days I tried to locate the SES1 again, but this time I had no success. I can´t find the channels anymore. The MicroHD remains showing a signal strength of 45 an CERO Quality, without variation.
I observed before that when I moved back the dish to the Galaxy 16 sat , channels were viewed instantly, except the NBC13 from Casper. This channel took sometimes hours to get catched (without moving the dish anymore). I don´t know if something similar could be happening in my system with these two MeTV channels.
The dish pole is perfectly vertical and the LNBFs right where I installed them from the beginning.
Any idea what could be happening ?

When I was using a 1.8M dish I had times where I could get MeTV and times where I couldn't. I would ask and others would give a booming in report on their larger dishes. I have not been over to it in awhile so I will have to check it out later, wife watching something right now. I am sure someone else will come in though before then. :)

Well I had ME TV until last night I have a dish pointing at 99 and was getting with my amiko the tp from 101 and uptil last night it stop working. My dish is 5'-8"

Last edited:
Others have reported issues with MeTV with 6' dishes at times.

I noticed with my microHD that when a signal wasn't immediately received, the micro started to search for changed FEC parameters. In my case was a stubborn diseqc switch. This required a bit of time for the micro to lock again even on a previously scanned in channel.

You could try to peak back to 101W on a strong TP such as GEB at 3716V-4340 to be sure you're on 101W and rescan the satellite. Perhaps your LNBF has drifted slightly in frequency and will blind scan in on a better quality reading.

Thanks Guys.
This morning I dedicated almos 3 hours trying to find MeTV in SES1. I used my MicroHD with the channel already scanned (As I told before, I was watching these channels some 2 months ago) to try to find the signal, and nothing happened. Then I used my old Pansat 2700A. This receiver has a very good and fast response for showing changes in the signal bar indicator when you catch a Transponder beam (much better than MicroHD for this issue). Nevertheless, happened the same: No signal found. Tired and frustrated, finally aimed the dish again to Galaxy 16.
My conclusion here is that in my lattitud (29N, 106W), I will need a bigger dish (3m) to catch this signals whithout problem. I just tried and tried because I was watching those channels before. Same thing happened with the channel "eScapes" in G16. 2 Months ago I was able to catch it, and now it is rare when the MicroHD can lock it. Maybe the strong winds of February affected the parabolic shape in some way.
Greetings...

A 1.8m won't be as reliable as a larger dish and may have periods where it 'works' and other times where it won't. More susceptible to adjacent interference. And getting everything 'just right' requires a lot of patience.
Feed centered and square to the dish. Focal distance optimized, etc.
Maybe spend some time on 99 getting the Q absolutely maximized. Then, if there's improvement, try 101 again(?)

You can check if the winds have warped the dish with a couple of strings. One across the face vertical, and another at 90° to it. The strings should just touch where they cross. Then place the vertical string at a 45 across the face, and another 90 to it. Again, strings should just touch where they cross.
For a larger dish, Keep an eye on the thread more Craigslist dishes for your perusal One may be within reach.
Good luck and happy hunting.

Status
Please reply by conversation.