Cannablizing Dish parts

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gittist

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
I ordered a starter FTA package that includes a Patriot 36 x 31 dish. However the company has sent not only that dish but a World TV 39.5 x 30 dish by mistake and has told me to keep it due to the costly shipping charges involved. Cool :). The only issue I notice is that the World TV dish is not designed to be used with a motor. At this point I haven't ordered a motor but if things go well, I was planning on it.

Considering bigger is better with dishes (or so I've read), for those of you that know dishes, can I use some parts from the Patriot in order to use a motor with the the World TV Dish?

If I were to pick a satellite and leave the dish pointed at that one, which dish would you use?

Is replacing my DISHTV dish with the world dish a possibility? Any Benefit?

Thanks,

I wouldn't worry with trying to replace dish network's dish with something different, if it works okay now. A bigger dish might give you a little more rain-fade security, but possibly not that much. Not familiar with either one you mentioned, but most ku dishes can be motorized with a little engineering. A lot of us fanatics have rigged brackets to our old "former" Primestar fixed dishes with great success. All you need is a good method to clamp the dish to the motor shaft, and some adjustability in the system to allow for adjustment of the declination offset. Once that's set you don't really have to mess with it again.

Welcome to SatGuys!

If you can post some pictures of the dishes, I'm sure someone will be able to tell you if a motor can be used on it/or made to work on it. I think you have to make 10 posts or so before you can upload pictures or add links to posts, though.

I agree with Turbosat, I wouldn't replace the DISH Tv dish, if it's working all right now. I'd setup both the new dishes for Ku, maybe one motorized and the other a fixed dish for a harder to receive sat like 125w for the PBS stations there, or 103w with the oddball skew for Cozi TV, although 103w is supposed to be replaced soon and the oddball skew shouldn't no longer be an issue with that one.

Great deal, two dishes for the price of one! :D

Agree with both previous posts, leave your subscription dish 'as is'. Motor on one, and a switch(22khz or diseqc) to the other that's 'fixed' on one satellite. Those mentioned by A Raine are 'good subjects' for a fixed dish.
Think the World dish could 'fit' the motor by inverting the mount on it(upside down) and shim the shaft with a piece of PVC that's been 'split'. But pictures are worth a million.
The World dish, 39.5 x 30, is that metal? About the same size as a Channel Master/Primestar 84e. May be able to 'do' both 103 and 125 on it if fixed. But pictures are worth a million.
Receiver model??
BTW: nice 'mistake'.

There is not that much difference in the size of them to make any noticiable difference in signal received. IMO, I wouldn't tear one apart just to try and use the larger dish. Use them both!!!! E_V

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)