Can't find "resume" DVR function

jeff_k

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
San Diego, CA
Just got a 2 hopper / 1 joey system installed. Coming from a 622 system.
First question: How do I pause a channel being actively recorded, switch to something else, and then switch back and resume where I left off? I only see choices to watch from the beginning or go live.

Second, related question: I thought I was going to be able to be watching something recording to DVR on one hopper, pause it, go to a joey or another hopper, and resume the same show where I left off - is there a way to do this? Again, I only see access to that DVR recording either live or start over.

I must be missing something obvious - there has to be a way to resume.
Thanks for answering a stupid question.
Jeff

When you pause an event while it is recording, you are only pausing the live feed, the recording continues. I don't believe it's possible to do what you are saying.
It is my understanding that the recorded event has to be completed for it to have full MRV functionality.

It's nice to have access to the DVR event from any TV, but pausing the live feed (and allow the show to continue to record) and be able to pick up where you left off elsewhere seems like such an obviously useful feature, I am having trouble imagining that it isn't available.

Try doing chase play, which is playing the recording, rather than recording a live TV channel. Then you might well be able to pause it. (But I don't know that will work either.)

That doesn't seem to work either.

If anyone has gotten "resume" to work, please chime in. I am mainly trying to find a way that I can pause a show that I am DVR-recording and watching on one hopper, and then resume from that same spot somewhere else in the hopper-joey system.

Pause the show on the hopper you are watching or Joey you are watching . Then go to the other room and select the dvr menu on either the hopper or joey in that room. Then when you come up the show you want hit PLAY on your remote control and a menu box will come up asking if you want to resume from the point on either the joey or hopper in the other room, or start over from the beginning. I do this all the time when I move from one room to the other and want to continue where I left off.

IIRC you can't resume a PTAT while PTAT is still recording. You should be able to pause an active tuner and then join that feed using the red button on the other device.

Kruznby, can you detail how to do that? If I go from one hopper to another, I go into "DVR" and switch to the hopper that is actively recording (that I paused viewing on the other TV), press the red button, and I can see that the tuner is actively recording the event, but if I try to select it, I only get "more info", "stop", "start over", or "Live TV". How do I join where I paused?

Dish DVR'S have never allowed resuming after pausing/stopping a current recording, the recording must be complete before resume is possible.

Sent from my DROIDX

Kruznby, can you detail how to do that? If I go from one hopper to another, I go into "DVR" and switch to the hopper that is actively recording (that I paused viewing on the other TV), press the red button, and I can see that the tuner is actively recording the event, but if I try to select it, I only get "more info", "stop", "start over", or "Live TV". How do I join where I paused?
I don't know that you can do it hopper to hopper, but you should be able to do it hopper to joey or vice versa. Select the active recording on your hopper and watch/pause. Leave the hopper on. Then go to joey. Push the red button. Select the tuner that you have paused to join it using the red button. You should be able to control it from the joey now. You can do this for any active tuner.

That works from/to hopper and linked joey. It doesn't seem to work between hoppers. I can live with that, I suppose.
Dish, if you're listening... It would be nice to be able to do this across hoppers.

You can kind of do it across Hoppers if it's recording. On the other Hopper, go to the DVR menu and select the other Hopper and start playback of the recording. You may have to find the resume point.

Dish DVR'S have never allowed resuming after pausing/stopping a current recording, the recording must be complete before resume is possible.
Never say never. On my 722, if I start watching an active recording from the DVR menu from the other tuner (ie. if it's recording on TV1 and I'm watching it from TV2), I can hit stop, go back to TV2 live viewing, and then later go back into the DVR menu and select the TV1 recording again (while it's still recording), I get a Resume option, which will let me watch from the point I stopped watching earlier. Basically I'm chase playing a TV1 recording from TV2, and it remembers where I left off.

Well, the functionality that I was looking for works when the event has finished recording, and I start to view it on the hopper that it wasn't recorded on. If I am watching it on that other hopper, and then pause and go to the hopper that recorded it, I can go into the DVR list, and if I hit the "play" button, will be given a choice to start over or resume where I left off. Not sure if this works in the opposite direction.

So it seems that the main issue is that if you are recording, you can't pause then resume from another hopper.

Better than I figured...

Yes, for some odd reason Dish decided that you can't resume a recording while it is in progress. You will only have the option to start over or view live TV as the recording is in progress.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

I guess that is a change then on the Hopper, as I described above I can resume a recording while in progress on my 722.

I'll have to check that out on my 722k. Can you resume from the same TV? Does it work in singe and dual mode?

Just noticed that this can be accomplished using RED button with Hopper/Joey. This is essentially the same as you described for your 722. I'll have to check that out as well.

I think resume only works from the opposite TV from where it's recording.

I see. I wonder why Dish doesn't feel that it's necessary on the same TV?

Yep, this is a really annoying feature, especially on really long events like football games. My wife recorded hours and hours of Olympics coverage this summer and since the recordings are so long, they were rarely finished when we needed to change the channel. Then we had to start over and fast forward forever to get back to where we were. Come on Dish! I love the Hopper, but...come on!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts