Changing LNBs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RimaNTSS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 9, 2013
Riga
Hi! Sometimes we need to receive signals from different satellites and also different frequencies, I mean C-band, Ku-band, Ka-band, Whatever-band. Each band asks for different LNB to be used, so, there are different ways how to handle this issue: Use different antennas, use multifeeded LNBs and whatever. Other way to tackle this would be use one (polar-mounted) antenna and have LNBs changed when needed. Something like: When you push the button on remote, than antenna goes to proper satellite and right LNB is put in antenna's focus. Like on this video
So, my question would be - How to make this happen? Any ideas?

Some Ku motors can use DiSEqC 1.0 addressing. Move the dish with DiSEqC 1.2/ usals motor and rotate the LNBFs with the DiSEqC 1.0 motor. If I understand your question

I wanna try this! :)
I saw a video awhile back like this also.

"How did you do it?"
Well.... it is still in process. Simple- made a drawing ParabolaCM120cm_MotorBack (Custom).jpg , cut some metal, welded everything together, angle-grinded. And repeated process several times till satisfied with the result. Trial and error method, you know. :shh
IMG_20151201_194807 (Custom).jpg IMG_20151204_224230 (Custom).jpg IMG_20151222_174706 (Custom).jpg IMG_20151223_091433 (Custom).jpg IMG_20151223_154537 (Custom).jpg

It is cool but am unsure of why it is useful. Multiple LNB setup - with C, Ku linear, and Ku circular - on a H2H motor is easier and more practical.
I wouldn't get in the way of a fun project with a good use of power tools though.

Multiple LNB setup - with C, Ku linear, and Ku circular - on a H2H motor
Do you mean that all those 4 LNBs are in antenna's focus? Or they are multifeeded? Of course that is easier way, but, unfortunately, with this setup you will never get maximum performance in all bands.

I respectfully disagree - at least on my 1.2 - I had a STAB120 motor moving the 1.2 with a Ku PLL in the center and 2 sidecars - 1 Titanium Cband PLL with scalar and a generic circular Ku. I got everything on Ku - including the hardest to get like FSTV on 123 in any weather and my CBand was very,very good. There was virtually nothing ITC on circular Ku, but it was there for when something appeared. The key is always to have a perfectly pointed, level, plumb, straight dish. Also - use a good sat meter not a STB at the dish to peak.
They were about 4 degrees apart and never had a problem. I think it would be fun to make a revolver for LNBs but I doubt my reception would be any better.

Reception on central (that one which is in focus) is always better tan reception from multifeeded LNB, that is axiom. Also means that central LNB will always give better rain margin and stronger signal at all times. Multifeeds are for amateurs and people who like their SAT systems installed and never touch again, they just watch TV.

Exactly, so put your sensitive Ku in the center and the others to each side and away you go. Cband is very well suited as a sidecar as is circular Ku.

I do not know, I do not watch TV. OK, sometimes I watch couple of channels, just to be updated what is happening.

Reactions: Hockeynut
Someone had posted a setup they had like you're asking about a while ago, I'll try to find it but I don't remember what thread it was in.

I know what are you speaking about... user's name is Trust and I got lots of ideas from him, I even visit him from time to time and get lots of help, theoretically and practically.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts