Complete Review- Fortec Star Mercury II

I have a question about the Merc II.

Does the setup menu allow for more than 4 ports on a diseqc switch?

Many receivers advertise that they are diseqc 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 compatible yet only allow for 4 diseqc ports in the satellite setup menu.

Fred

The Fortec Mercury II supports:
  • DiSEqC 1.0 - 4 ports x 2 (22KHz) = 8 LNB combinations
  • DiSEqC 1.1 - 4 ports x 16 cascaded DiSEqC ports x 2 (22KHz)= 128 LNB combinations

Attachments

• AntennaSetupMercII.jpg
    AntennaSetupMercII.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 578
ird -> uncommited 8x1 -> commited 4x1 -> 22khz -> lnb
1 x 8 x 4 x 2 = 64

I dont think you can cascase uncommited switchs behined other uncommited switchs, but I havent tested, Ive really needed too lol. thats ALOT of lnbs, haha.

I didn't think you could use 2 diseqc switches with each other? I'll have to try that out, with some of the 20 @ 4x1's diseqcs I just got from the SatelliteAV deal.

Al

OK after taking another look, I see it's a 8x1 uncommitted diseqc, and the ones I have are 4 committed and 4 uncommitted in the 8x1. So I guess I could try the 4 uncommited ports of mine?

Why does the Merc II have an ANT IN?

The back panel has ANT IN as well as LNB IN. Why? I didn't see any mention in the manual of a NTSC or ATSC tuner for terrestrial TV. If not what is it going to do with a signal from an OTA TV antenna?

It's just a pass through port, but it allows you to use the "TV/Sat" button on the remote if you are using coax connections? To switch between Antenna and Satellite Dish.

Al

It sort of makes it like an A/B switch for the coax input on your TV....

I didn't think you could use 2 diseqc switches with each other? I'll have to try that out, with some of the 20 @ 4x1's diseqcs I just got from the SatelliteAV deal.

Al

OK after taking another look, I see it's a 8x1 uncommitted diseqc, and the ones I have are 4 committed and 4 uncommitted in the 8x1. So I guess I could try the 4 uncommited ports of mine?

sure you can. You can put a committed switch on a port of an uncommitted switch. I have a 4x1 on a port on my digiwave 8x1 uncommitted for 11 LNB's on the Visionsat

to get 128 LNB

receiver----uncommitted 8x1-----each port has a committed 8x1----22k---LNB
8 ports-----64 ports----128 ports

setup would be a pain because the committed switch you'd have to do motor setups and not just diseqc

Did they eliminate the channel move function? I notice the manual shows channel move and Fav channel move, but the receiver's screen only has Fav channel move. I wanted to sort the order of the channels under one satellite to group certain one's together for convenience.

Edit: I now see that they still have that function. It just depends on which one of the channel edit menu's you approach it from. If you go from the main screen, its not a listed function, but if you go to channel edit from the channel list, its there. What a great receiver. So many smart features.

Last edited:
Firmware update

I came searching for this thread to find the latest firmware.
And was surprised no link was listed.

Below is the current version info, but this link should take you to the latest:
Firmware - v.1.53 ( July 16, 2007) - Corrects problem saving changes made to a satellite's orbital position.
Downloading software to your receiver voids the manufacturer warranty.
Perform a Factory Reset (restore defaults) before and after downloading software to your receiver. This ensures that the new software performs correctly.
Note:You can do a Channel Backup from the Factory Reset menu before changing the receiver's software. This will prevent you from losing any channel data.

drhydro, I never saw this mentioned, so I"ll ask. Since you've had your merc2 for quite some time, does it do anything weird when it finds 4.2.2 or HD feeds while blind-scanning? Does it lock up on those channels later, if it stores feeds that are in those formats? Still like using my Traxis 3500 but it will lock up bad on some HD or 4.2.2 feeds it scans in, drives me crazy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)